Wilson Audio Maintenance

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Here's some WA Maintenance recommendations I've seen posted on other forums:

1. Clean the resistor contacts. Debby Wilson posted that she changes out resistors every 6 months to a year.

2. Check the tightness of driver and ports fasteners/bolts.

Wilson recommends 20 in-lbs of torque on the fasteners/bolts.

I got a Wheeler Engineering FAT wrench, to ensure that I don't over tighten.
Wheeler FW.jpg

Note: Don't use the 3/32" Allen Wrench in the Wilson tool kit to tighten the four small black screws on the Focal tweeters. The heads aren't 3/32". These heads are 2.5mm.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Intuitively, tightening makes a lot of sense to me. But resistors every 6 months to year? Are they only supposed to last that long in Wilsons? Even at 24/7 playback, does that seem extreme to anyone? When was the last time someone replaced all their resistors (excepting when they broke/burned out) in their Wilsons? Or in any speakers where it is designed to be done by the consumer for that matter?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
If I got my resistors free from Dad, I would replace mine every 6 months as well :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Intuitively, tightening makes a lot of sense to me. But resistors every 6 months to year? Are they only supposed to last that long in Wilsons? Even at 24/7 playback, does that seem extreme to anyone? When was the last time someone replaced all their resistors (excepting when they broke/burned out) in their Wilsons? Or in any speakers where it is designed to be done by the consumer for that matter?

I don't anticipate changing out resistors for at least a couple of years.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
but doesn't a resistor last until it fails?

Maybe Deb could chime in and explain only because I have seen this mentioned all over the internet for many years. I'd like to know what the sonic benefit of changing them every 6 months does.

AS to cost, that is an unfair statement to Deb because in the great scheme of things resistors are not very expensive and I have a whole kit full of replacements.

But then the question I must ask is whether there is a shelf life on resistors because if so I would be replacing mine just as I replace my tubes

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Here's some WA Maintenance recommendations I've seen posted on other forums:

1. Clean the resistor contacts. Debby Wilson posted that she changes out resistors every 6 months to a year.

2. Check the tightness of driver and ports fasteners/bolts.

Wilson recommends 20 in-lbs of torque on the fasteners/bolts.

I got a Wheeler Engineering FAT wrench, to ensure that I don't over tighten.
View attachment 11651

Note: Don't use the 3/32" Allen Wrench in the Wilson tool kit to tighten the four small black screws on the Focal tweeters. The heads aren't 3/32". These heads are 2.5mm.

The small screws in the mods on early model Maxx and WATT (and others that use the very small screws) you only torque to 5 lbs (or LIGHT hand tighten). Do NOT over torque them!

When it comes to resisters: I change them out often, yes. As I have said before, I feel it refreshes the sound. I see them like spark plugs in cars.

Reactions: MJB and marcbrown

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The small screws in the mods on early model Maxx and WATT (and others that use the very small screws) you only torque to 5 lbs (or LIGHT hand tighten). Do NOT over torque them!

When it comes to resisters: I change them out often, yes. As I have said before, I feel it refreshes the sound. I see them like spark plugs in cars.

Thank you...what about X1/Grand Slamms? What level of torque and how often would you suggest we check? (I do not have anything that measures torque, so is there any way to roughly gauge by hand?) Ie, a gentle turn of anything truly loose, and otherwise leave alone?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
This makes me feel that resistance if futile.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
:)

Resistance can vary over time, especially if the resistors are stressed by high power levels. However, I have to think a competent design would build in plenty of margin, and modern resistor materials are available that are extremely stable. I would expect the drivers to change more than the resistors, but I don't know the details of Wilson's components.

Torque wrenches need maintainance, too, or they will be out of spec. I would be a little nervous having to re-torque; eventually I'd think you'd cause wear on the threads of the screws/bolts/nuts/whatever. Especially if the screws go into some sort of wood-related material and not a more more positive capture system using a harder material (e.g. some pro drivers way back when actually had a steel ring on the back side that acted as a clamp and had nuts attached so the mounting bolts just passed through the cabinet instead of screwig into the cabinet itself).

Loctite?

Another oft-cited maintainance tweak is to pull the cables to provide a little wiping action to reduce any oxidation effects. I have never found that to be terribly helpful unless things were really bad, but of course I have ears of clay.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Thank you...what about X1/Grand Slamms? What level of torque and how often would you suggest we check? (I do not have anything that measures torque, so is there any way to roughly gauge by hand?) Ie, a gentle turn of anything truly loose, and otherwise leave alone?

Usually they don't loosen too much. I would just gently handtighten them if you find they are loose. Otherwise, yes, leave them alone.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Usually they don't loosen too much. I would just gently handtighten them if you find they are loose. Otherwise, yes, leave them alone.

Thank you, Debby...I have been spending more and more time thinking long term about XLFs and a great pair of mighty subs. A lot of that has to do with your company's great service, coverage, personalized setup and installation. Pedro of Abs Sounds is a gentleman and a scholar of beautiful sound and music.

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Thank you, Debby...I have been spending more and more time thinking long term about XLFs and a great pair of mighty subs. A lot of that has to do with your company's great service, coverage, personalized setup and installation. Pedro of Abs Sounds is a gentleman and a scholar of beautiful sound and music.

You're welcome! XLF's are fabulous (I am a little biased though). The guys at Absolute sound are great. :)

Reactions: Lee and Jon

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The guys were I got mine, Definitive Audio, have been out twice and tightened drivers and put the Stillpoints under them. I know they are sales people, but there was no hard sell. I only paid for them after a long demo. Now I feel they are almost mandatory for any Wilson owner!

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all, I would tend to think that this would be more of a connection issue rather than a resistor issue. Perhaps it is easier to explain to consumers who own their speakers to replace a resistor rather than going through the benefits of the almost Audio God-like ritual of cleaning and preserving contact points within the signal path.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The guys were I got mine, Definitive Audio, have been out twice and tightened drivers and put the Stillpoints under them. I know they are sales people, but there was no hard sell. I only paid for them after a long demo. Now I feel they are almost mandatory for any Wilson owner!

+1 on Stillpoints for Wilsons for me.

Reactions: marcbrown

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Hi, I have the Sophia 3s where I replaced, years ago, the standard resistors with Duelund CAST resistors. I had read Martin Colloms article and was shocked and pleased with the positive differences they made. To comment on replacing them, in my case I can say after a year or so, I thought a tweeter was going out. Turned out resistor was going out. I play my music at above average levels especially when partying and you could see where resistors over-heated. I replaced them both to a noticeable improvement and now have a spare set on shelf. I also have Stillpoint's Ultra 5s under the speakers which made a huge improvement in sound, on multi-levels.

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
PS Meant to mention years ago I contacted Wilson and asked about Stillpoints which they recommended against. I was impressed with Debby when I read that she had Stillpoints. It showed she listens with her ears and not what the so called tech experts say.

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
PPS Shelf life should not much of an issue, but playing loudly can stress the resistors over time. Looking closely you could see the signs of stress.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
was shocked and pleased with the positive differences they made.

Interesting. I have no sufficient room for these in my WP7 but tried them in another crossover vs Mundorf Supreme. Initially i thought the Duelunds sounded great, but this impression did not last long at all: superdetailed but tiring and brittle. Being quite non-linear these are supposed to compensate for the heating up of voice coils but i don't know if this compensation works well in practice. One thing is for sure: no more Duelund resistors for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing