Wilson Audio Thor’s Hammer or Master Subsonic Subwoofers

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Who owns presently or who used to own one or two Wilson Audio Thor’s Hammers or Master Subsonic Subwoofers?*

These giant and heavy subwoofers are almost mythical in their size, cost and rarity. Unlike most modern subwoofers using enclosures barely bigger than their drivers and equalizers and high power Class D plate amplifiers, these Wilsons generate low frequencies the old fashioned way: big drivers in enormous boxes with outboard crossovers and outboard amplifiers.

So who owns these?

Do you use a crossover other than the Wilson Audio Watch Controller?

What amplifiers do you use to drive these behemoths?

*I know Jacob Heilbrunn had a pair of Thor’s Hammers and now has a pair of Master Subsonics with his WAMM Master Chronosonics.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff1225

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Ron, although I have not heard the Wilsons. I do have a ported dual 16 in sub built the old fashioned way. About 42 x 22 x 46 and weighs about a 1,000 pounds+ . Separate amp And crossover. A magnificent beast....and bass you can feel....clean and explosive when the occasion arises.
Yoo want them...get them. The benefits are mind blowing.....you can play anything and it’ just adds a quality that says wow.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very cool, Roger! Can you post a photo of this beast?

Is this a home brew?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very cool, Roger! Can you post a photo of this beast?

Is this a home brew?

Ron, there were a pair of these made by a Reno Co. named ParAcas owned by a audio and electronics engineer by the name of Carl Staub. Carl manufactured these a long with speakers amplifiers and preamps. We were audiophiles and friends so I was lucky enough to own many of his products. About 1992 Carl left the audio business and became well known for making automated computer controlled coffee roasting equipment.

Attachments

• A8D7A3BB-BA86-4E77-A375-41078D127C52.png
    A8D7A3BB-BA86-4E77-A375-41078D127C52.png
    2 MB · Views: 77

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting; thank you. It sure is a monster!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I never owned the Wilson Thor or the Master Subsonic although I have heard them both

Many years ago I did own the Wilson XS Subwoofer which stood over 84" high and had 2 18" drivers. My house shook when it was playing

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Steve - I remember long ago reading that you preferred the JL Gothams over the big Wilson XS...why was that?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I never owned the Wilson Thor or the Master Subsonic although I have heard them both

Many years ago I did own the Wilson XS Subwoofer which stood over 84" high and had 2 18" drivers. My house shook when it was playing
Steve,
Can you tell us why you moved from the XS to the JL Audio subs? I know you've totally removed the subs from your system now, but I'm curious why you made the move.

I've always had a side spot for the big Wilson subs.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I can see why these big subs could be a problem in a less then large room, they move a ton of air. My 16 x 20 room opens into another 1200 sq ft space,with a staircase to the top floor.This allows my D16 and my Vel-18 to be adjusted and controlled very well.
I run the D16 with about 200w a woofer and at 11:30 on the volume. In my experience with big subs less volume is better and the quality of the bass is articulated well and clean.
But like I said, the room is the deciding factor in my opinion

Steve Williams

Steve - I remember long ago reading that you preferred the JL Gothams over the big Wilson XS...why was that?

I did say that. Reason being it was totally impossible to dial in the XS unlike the Pair of Gotham G213 and finally Fathom 113's.Having said that the JLAudio subs were also an exercise in futility and finally discovered as everyone was telling me that the pair of F113's were just unnecessary

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Steve. A word to the wise. Will keep that in mind.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not the Wilson Audio Thor’s Hammers or Master Subsonic Subwoofers, but Wilson Audio WatchDogs using the same two WatchDog controlers http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/vtl_wilson_system.htm .

One of the main advantages of using subs with large speakers is being able to put them at a significantly distance from the main speakers, interacting the with room modes in a different manner and exciting the room in the bass with a different pattern - even filling the nulls that no electronic or DSP can fill. Surely in order to use this mode of operation you need a large room - considering that my room is 31 feet long I am very interested in subs, and I am rather pleased with my experiences, both in measurements and in sound quality. The subs are located arout 6 feet behind the main speakers.

For more information on this subject see the section on Geddes work for example at http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20...fers-to-improve-bass-the-welti-devantie-html/

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd

please remember that these were my findings based on my room. As always YMMV
For sure, Steve. Thanks as always...in our case, we just finished watching a few action flicks last nite...well worth having the big Sub! Same for Kingdom of Heaven Soundtrack tonite (which is excellent by the way)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Feedback has a very limited amount usefullness for subwoofer frequencies. Once you start getting under 100hz you begin to see a decline the deeper you go, where distortion isn't helped any by the feedback and even hurt by it. So it can often sound strange.

With a subwoofer that's ported you get the benefit of the port blurring up the response a little bit. It's not a lot since people can design them so well, but without a question it is occurring. Most will hear this as beneficial if they have too much feedback to really do the subs any favors.

However, I don't prefer the ported sound, to me it's not as natural. It's lower definition. The problem is if you're not using ported that you can go down a path with the wrong amp & sound really fast. They don't all sound right.

Steve Williams

For sure, Steve. Thanks as always...in our case, we just finished watching a few action flicks last nite...well worth having the big Sub! Same for Kingdom of Heaven Soundtrack tonite (which is excellent by the way)

Lloyd

that brings back memories of my last room which was much larger and also served as a home theater. When I showed films that were heavy in deep bass, my house literally shook

What was that submarine movie U571??

When those deep sea explosives went off we had to hold on

Saving Private Ryan was another

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes...i still remember the photo from your audiogon website page with the Ratatouille shot on it...crystal clear shot. I will have to check out U571...have always heard good things about it. I know someone who worked on that movie early in his career.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's easier for a ported subwoofer to hold a note more consistently, that should be noted. It can be really great for home theater.

Steve Williams

I first heard U571 while living in Northern California’s a friends house who was using a Thigpen Rotary Woofer. In fact Bruce Thigpen flew in on his own plane from Florida for the event. I remember I was standing in the right rear corner when those under water explosives went off. I felt like it was a California earthquake and so much so that I could still feel myself moving many minutes later

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Not the Wilson Audio Thor’s Hammers or Master Subsonic Subwoofers, but Wilson Audio WatchDogs using the same two WatchDog controlers http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/vtl_wilson_system.htm .

One of the main advantages of using subs with large speakers is being able to put them at a significantly distance from the main speakers, interacting the with room modes in a different manner and exciting the room in the bass with a different pattern - even filling the nulls that no electronic or DSP can fill. Surely in order to use this mode of operation you need a large room - considering that my room is 31 feet long I am very interested in subs, and I am rather pleased with my experiences, both in measurements and in sound quality. The subs are located arout 6 feet behind the main speakers.

For more information on this subject see the section on Geddes work for example at http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20...fers-to-improve-bass-the-welti-devantie-html/
Wonder why no one's asked you about time alignment yet :p?

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing