Window 10 Update

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Lars.
After your earlier help I was wondering if you had upgraded.
I don't use the Sticky Notes and the only slight irritation I have noticed is when I check out the wonderful pictures that they keep sending me they nudge me to Edge and I mainly use Firefox and Google.
Not really a problem and the update has been an improvement for me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When I first powered on my machine this morning there was no picture. The screen was black but the lettering was there, and it described what the picture was...snow/ski image.
Lol, there are some glitches for sure, with that Anniversary Update.

And that Windows 10 logo is gone (since the Update it doesn't show anymore; is this normal?):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/features

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob
Yes the former image has gone since I updated.
Just a small window all by itself which is quickly followed by one of the wonderful photos they keep sending me
The latest is a small river in Zion Canyon Utah

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks a whole bunch Barry because I searched around (I guess not hard enough) and I couldn't find out.
It was hard to know who was more crazy... me... or everyone else. :b

When I open my machine I am presented with a different picture/photograph each day, then I click on it and a second screen appears.
Before it was the Windows 10 logo screen, but now it's the same picture as the first screen. ...And on that second screen your access to log in.

* Let me check the picture today...

I searched for it, but couldn't find it. It was an abstract design...a pair of headphones with an audio pulse in the middle...very very abstract...with tones of brown. It was a Microsoft free 30-day trial for a new gaming system...I think.

It looked a little like this, for the main objective, but it was 100% more abstract...in space...and with many complex geometric designs, and an electric pulse in the middle.

So when I clicked on that picture design my log in access would appear on a second screen and with that same picture in the background, slightly fuzzy though.
And before the Anniversary Update the second screen was always the Windows 10 logo (full screen), the one I posted before. But now it's totally gone.

Also, I noticed that Microsoft is pushing their own advertising to buy their Microsoft store apps. ...Games, etc. With free trial first, or not.
It's normal, they need more money to develop better features and better security and privacy.

Also, my brother skyped me today, but I didn't know how to reply because Skype design is a totally new design. I still don't know how to reply yet...it's a little frustrating I admit...till I find out where to click for replying.

Also, yesterday I experienced a serious crash. The full taskbar was unresponsive, nothing, zip! A full reboot restored it.
So if it happens to anyone of you; just do a manual power shut down...wait few seconds...then manually power it on again.
It will take few minutes till everything appears again...so be patient.

But so far I like it, a lot. And I changed some of my backgrounds from light (white) to dark (black)...All Settings (from Action Center), Skype. It's much easier on my eyes.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
You are most welcome Bob.
The wonderful photos I referred to starting arriving some months ago and I don't know how or why I am so favoured but they great. The one before the Zion Canyon was a night time photo of a modern bridge in China - the Chuxi Bridge
I just keeping responding to the feedback request and they keep coming.
If you can find how to get them I am sure you would enjoy them.
The update is working very well for me. Seems smoother and more secure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I know Barry; we can select them, by group, everyday a new one, Windows 10's own selection, our own from our picture albums, slideshows, etc.
Right now I have this one (I selected it):

There is a message @ top right when you click on the small camera logo saying that in the future Windows will keep sending similar pictures, from what I chose. And when you right click on your main screen after you're logged in you can personalize pretty much anything; "Personalize" @ the bottom.

* When Windows 10 automatically installed itself in my machine, few months ago, there were always amazing photos each day.
With the Anniversary Update they are still there, but this time around I give more feedback, so they send me more personalized ones.

But I agree with you, Windows 10 has some great touches, including this one...with beautiful photos each day.
I'm not sure but perhaps it's possible to select the time intervals of their showing?

P.S. I spent a big part of my life working in the forestry industry of British Columbia, so I've seen thousands of scenes like the one above, and much much more. ...@ various altitudes and with different vegetation and views of the mountains, lakes, ocean, all type of wildlife, millions of magic scenery.

I love music, classical music, operas, chorals...and NATURE. ...And films too. :b
I took many many photographs of nature since I was 20-years old...but they were all stolen from me...very very unfortunately, and among a collection of musical instruments.

Today I enjoy Windows 10 pictures. They remind me my own. So not all is lost.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thank you Bob
That is good to know and I will explore the options.
I haven't been sent the one in your post to date. Today Zion Canyon has been replaced with a winter scene from Greenland. Very good but I prefer the more verdant ones.
I was sorry to hear of your misfortune with your own photos and musical instruments and my commiserations. Life has its dark moments but you just have to pick yourself up and stay positive and the happier times come.
Keep posting

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Life is life Barry, we survive that's the main essence.

Last night @ midnight the ambulance came to my home, and I was driven to the closest emergency hospital.
I had six personal medical staff attending me and with five syringes piercing through the veins of both arms and right hand...for all specific reasons,
including an intravenous feeding me some white liquid (liquid heroin? :D). I took two special pills that I had to chew on (orange) and given a pink/purple liquid to drink.
My chest was quickly shaved and about twelve electrodes were glued to my chest and stomach.
It was all about possible cardiac arrest caused by a chest pain that developed worst during the evening.
I also have a heart condition. I didn't want to go @ the emergency, but the nurse on the phone didn't give me that option.

Lol, if I would have filmed the ordeal during that time, there were some funny moments. Like two nurses who asked me the same question: "Why are you carrying your home phone with you?" Because they wouldn't let me put it back in my house when the ambulance came, and I wear prescription glasses, but no opportunity to get them in the house, so I was half blind.

Rodney recently had a surgery, a double bypass or quad, or some' like that. One of my uncles lives with someone else's heart for the last 40 years or so.
Life can slip away in just an instant. All the pictures, the souvenirs, the music, the money, the possessions, the dreams, ...mean as much as life passing by.

Right now I'm good, the pain is minimal, very. Tomorrow who knows... One day @ a time. Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the deal.
:b

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Oh Bob so sorry but glad to hear you are still with us.
Would really miss your regular contributions so hang in there and get well soon.
The treatment these days is so much more successful particularly if they can treat you promptly as is obviously happening.
The phone incident rang true, pun intended. There is invariably an element of farce in these sort of situations and they give you a good chuckle afterwards.
Take care and get better soon
Best,
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thx Barry, I do my best. Now to the next battery of tests...AudioQuest syringes with directional powered batteries. ;-)

The day we lost our sense of humor is when we truly die. Windows 10 Anniversary Update is the real deal...with beautiful pictures.

* I'll see if I can get Amir to participate/contribute...the ex-Microsoft VIP executive...he might have some great tips...if of course he's up-to-date with the latest Anniversary OS version 1607.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just checked out the pristineclassical.com website which I recently became aware of courtesy BBC Radio 3. A range of restored historic recordings, eg Furtwangler,Walter,Casals,Koussevitsky ,Vinyl,CD and downloads. Looks fascinating.
Also discovered from the site that Windows 10 includes a Flac prorgramme to play downloads. Is installed with Windows 10 but needs to be activated which I have just done.
It's called Groove Music

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just installed the latest Windows 10 update - Creative.
A big one. Took over three hours but all went smoothly.
Certainly seems faster and claimed to be more secure.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I have I. Unfortunately it has seriously destabilized my WiFi connectivity. Latest update made it better still a far cry from where I started. I would wait a bit longer if you have not yet updated.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm a bit confused between 1607 (Anniversary Update - "Redstone 1") and 1703 (Creators Update - "Redstone 2")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

And now, Fall Creators Update - "Redstone 3"

Which one is best? ...Barry, Amir?
_____

Test only:

Today there were some news: Ransomware attacks reported worldwide

It's not about Windows 10 :b ...because in the last few months Windows 10 has been quite a "Russian" ride. I didn't share all the intempéries here, like lost of memory big time (over 100GB), and crashes (major ones), and security breaches (passwords, account numbers, credit cards, private medical info, ...), tens of thousands of viruses (like 100,000+), etc.

But that is nothing; it's just a machine...the rest is best to keep private/secured, between music (audio), films (video) and the planet (reality/science/physics/geography/space travel).

Are you worry, am I concerned? Yes, very so. To not be is to not live. We're 7.5 billion of us, this world is not for one person only.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
As I have I. Unfortunately it has seriously destabilized my WiFi connectivity. Latest update made it better still a far cry from where I started. I would wait a bit longer if you have not yet updated.

Commiserations Amir
Mine is working fine thank goodness.
I am sure that with your IT skills you'll solve it soon - uninstall and reload?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Commiserations Amir
Mine is working fine thank goodness.
I am sure that with your IT skills you'll solve it soon - uninstall and reload?

Barry, what's the build version of your 1703?

I agree, Amir is a pro Microsoft computer expert; he's the one to go to when in troubled times.
_____

It's good to have a backup plan. ...A security today for today, because tomorrow you never know. ...With all the news about this and about that, ... :b
_____

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...you-need-to-know-microsoft-ios-android-itunes
https://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/83977-careful-9-may-2017-update.html

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob
It's an Inspiron 17RSE
Top spec bought about 4 years ago
A great buy. The hard drive did fail just short of the two year guarantee and was replaced under the warranty.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Bob
It's an Inspiron 17RSE
Top spec bought about 4 years ago
A great buy. The hard drive did fail just short of the two year guarantee and was replaced under the warranty.

What I meant Barry is your Windows 10 recent update build version (Creators Update). Go into settings and write PC Name, the Windows 10 version and OS build are there.
- Version 1607 or 1703
- OS Build #____________

Me ? Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.1198

There was new update just few days ago, with three specific aspects: Cumulative, Malicious and Security.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing