Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
How is Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 ? ...Amir, I believe you're the expert here for this question.

Should I upgrade, now? ...Or later? ...And is it truly worth it (beneficial)? ...Without side effects.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
On this one, I am not. I have refused to run Windows 8 and am pretty sour on the OS in general. I will likely run Windows 10 at some point but have not yet.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes. Went to look at Windows 8 when it came out at Microsoft store. Was appalled at what they had done and have stayed with Windows 7. My brand new HP "workstation" laptop came with it as a default when I bought it last year. So I am not alone in that preference :).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have a new logo @ the bottom right of my laptop; just appeared this morning...Windows 10 logo.
So I thought I would ask here first before proceeding. ...I like to be @ the very edge of the latest/newest/best technologies...helps me looking sharp.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Microsoft came out with Windows 10 because they want people to think it is TWO versions after the abortion that WIN 8 is.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are the most stable MS operating systems they have made.

Attachments

• Windows 10 fixed.jpg
    Windows 10 fixed.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: Alrainbow

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
:D ...Good pitch Gary. ...That pic above.

Well, my main PC has Windows XP but it is totally dead now, just too old. ...I asked few computer tech guys, and they all said that it wasn't worth fixing, without any more support now.
And for the money that it would have cost me I would be much better off buying a new PC. ...So I bought a laptop instead, because I'm always outside, on my deck or in my hammock, or @ the beach.
It came with Windows 8 (one-year old laptop, a bit more), but I upgraded right on the first day to Windows 8.1 ... and then this morning came that little new Windows 10 logo (@ the bottom right, along with the volume level, Wi-Fi, Internet connection scale, time/date, etc.) ...and it says "Get Windows 10" ...and thanks to you guys I won't do it. ...And particularly when looking @ that picture above that Gary just posted! :eek::D

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
was there a Windows 9?
No. Being a multi-national product, the number 9 is avoided in naming because in Japanese, "ku" has a very negative connotation (suffering, etc.).

BTW get a Mac and save yourself a headache ;)
Yeh, I hear they come with one of these stickers:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I've the 'Get Windows 10' icon, too, on my Win7Pro Lenovo.
How can we get rid of it :confused:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for starting this thread Northstar.
I was also wondering whether I should take the free upgrade offer from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I decided to register for it and will decide when it is actually available.
Does anybody have any info on the likely timescale?

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
The scheduled release date for Windows 10 in the USA is July 29th. Not sure about the UK.

I've upgraded from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1 without issue and plan to upgrade to Windows 10 upon release. We have 2 desktop machines and 2 laptops.

I do use Classic Shell to boot directly to the desktop on all of the devices.

As for Apple.....not in my house! :)

That's not quite true. My wife has an iPhone due to her lack of skill in operating a mobile phone and her willingness to live within Apple's walled garden. I am an Android guy.

The latest Apple horror story for me was when she went to the Apple store to have her iPhone repaired when they duped her into a new iPhone and took us off our legacy plan at ATT without my knowledge. In the process our monthly cost from ATT went up $70.00 per month.

Needless to say, we are no longer with ATT. I had to write a check for the iPhone to escape their treachery (Apple and ATT).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've had no issues with Win8.1, but then I'm no longer a real power user either. Years ago I was doing web design as a side hobby and had lots of programs, but in the last few years it's only been about getting on the internet and doing the more mundane. I installed ClassicShell over top as I'm not sold on the tiles.

I'll probably install Win10 when it gets an official release on July 29 (my birthday btw). :)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks WCVLA and John for the news on the release date. I imagine the UK date will be around the same time.
You would have thought Microsoft have worked very hard to get Windows 10 right after their problems with 8.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I've the 'Get Windows 10' icon, too, on my Win7Pro Lenovo.
How can we get rid of it :confused:
I currently run Windows 8.1 with StartIsBack and find it superb (but I realize that I'm in the minority.) The OS is very stable and quick to boot. I plan on making the upgrade to Windows 10 when it becomes available. However for those that are not interested and want to remove the 'Get Windows 10' icon from their system tray here are instructions.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The problem at Microsoft, IMHO, is there are no adults in the room. And too many cooks in the kitchen. I like the airplane pic above, seems apropo. Trying to cram a single UI onto all devices ala Win8, was never going to fly in the corporate environment. But those tiles were so 'cool!' To my knowledge though, the underpinnings of Win8, included some big improvements in stability and secureity. I tried it once and quickly returned to Win7.

My biggest beef... Microsoft screwd up text rendering and now its not a system function, but handled at the program level. The font anti-aliasing went to hell, and now Internet Explorer and Office10, in my opinion are unusable. And I have some spanky monitors. So I use older Office version, and Chrome or Firefox.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ah, I had not realized that Microsoft had pushed a notification to every Windows 7 user on this as I just got mine. That is going to force much more adoption than it would have otherwise. While somewhat rude to users, it is a super effective way to get more people to try free software.

What is bizarre is that I went ahead and reserved the download but the icon is still there as if I had not done that!

Now it has turned into a billboard for Windows 10. In explaining the benefits, it brags about how I can "multitask" with up to four windows at once. Excuse me? Windows dating back 30 years has been a multi-tasking OS. I can and do run hundreds of things on my machine. What they mean is that in the new UI you can do that. Sign of how blinded they have become to have a) taken away this core OS feature in the past and b) think it is something new now.

Crossing fingers that the OS itself is not this screwed up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing