Wine tasting and music

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I’m lucky enough to live in gorgeous wine country in the San Francisco Bay Area. I went to a local winery this afternoon about a mile and a half from my house, which is nicely landscaped on a lovely hill (see attached pic). The owner is also an opera singer! During the wine tasting, she graciously sang a few arias. Wow, talk about the sheer dynamics of a human voice! I was worried the wine glasses and bottles would shatter. But the sound was not harsh at all, just pure and beautiful.

Wine and music seem to go together for me. I listen mostly in the evening when the ambient noise is low. Wine is always an essential “component“ in my audio listening experience. Perhaps it heightens the listening experience.

A7392BC1-D8AA-49B3-89A5-2C2C02CCDA9F.jpeg

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
The music always sounds better with a glass of wine and a listening buddy.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Well-reproduced music, combined with a delicious wine is a true feast for all senses. Do you adjust your wine selection to the types of music currently played? What are your favorite grape varieties?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I prefer beer for Blues R&B, Jazz and Rock and Roll. Heineken with a little frost on the bottle.
Classical,Chamber music and laid-back Jazz for wine.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Oh yes. Beer and Rock and Roll is as perfect of a combo as Thelma & Louise. Maybe whiskey is up there as well with some Rolling Stones. Which Rock and Roll bands do you prefer?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Wine is my life as i’m a winemaker in southern France.
I agree it’s great to listen to music with a good glass of wine.

b345t

May 10, 2020

That's so great, would you mind sharing with us which winery? Last night I had a very nice bottle of 2003 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle. Wine is my second hobby after music (playing/composing and hifi).

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Puyvert is the town.
We have bed & breakfast so we can accommodate if some of you travel to France.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Puyvert is the town.
We have bed & breakfast so we can accommodate if some of you travel to France.
I was attempting a funny on one possible pronunciation of Puyvert.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
My dream job when I retire (ha!) from the tech industry is to open a rare book store and wine tasting gallery along with an audio store! Dreams are fun….

Reactions: Stef

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@Thieliste wonderful location and avocation. I hope to visit one day :)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
My dream job when I retire (ha!) from the tech industry is to open a rare book store and wine tasting gallery along with an audio store! Dreams are fun….
I wanted to go in with a wine vendor, who would lease and decorate the building, load various wines into dispensers on the wall, underneath which would be clean glasses, a debit card is purchased from the vendor representative upon entering the building, which is used on the machines to get them to pour out a 1/3 measure, 1/2 measure or full measure of whichever wine one wished to try. They get a list of the wines on show when they enter, so they can rate them as they go. Cases available for sale there, or from a website, listed on the bottom of the sheet, in case one wants home delivery.

Large picture windows out to the city centre on two walls (corner shop), sofa's and chairs, tables and potted plants are scattered around for the punters. A sub-contractor is seen busy selling tapas, cheese fruit and bread etc to customers to have with their wine. The subcontractor also cleans up the tables and floors, washes and stocks dishes and glasses to boot.

Me, I have my audiophile LP playback rig at one end of the room, playing mostly jazz records from the 50's and 60's, getting up occasionally to refill my glass with complementary wine (complementary nibbles too, my reward for the music). And, someone to drive this now drunken sod home at the end of the day.

Reactions: Bobvin and Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Lovely looking concept. Hope it works well for all involved!

• Love
Reactions: RCanelas

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
So what are some good $10 wines?

Montes Malbec and Cabernet is about all I buy these days given that it seems I have to spend three times as much to get something materially better
Ravenwood old vine Zinfandel

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I live fairly close to this lovely 100 year old Italian winery in Santa Clara valley called Guglielmo winery. I love their Petit Syrah, Sangiovese and Zinfandel. Locally they are not all that expensive — about $15 s bottle. Mail order prices might vary. In Northern California we are of course spoiled for choice with hundreds of great wineries in Napa, Sonoma, Santa Clara, San Luis Obispo etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing