Worst sounding tracks you love!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain - original UK pressing. 90 gms, perfectly flat and perfect pressing.

Awesome album despite the crap production by Steve "more drums" Lillywhite. I always have imaged how much better the album would have been if they used Peter Walsh from New Gold Dream.

I see its being re-issued on all formats mid March.

115871161.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ultravox_-_Lament.jpg

CD - Awful
US, UK, JP presses - Awful
Music - Love it

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I did Gary. Thank you so much. I did not have the CD with me to compare so I had not yet responded. Have bought too many CDs as of late, and not ripped them. And that one specifically I had not as it sounded so bad. Will try to do that and take a listen. Quick impression of the LP was that it did not have the muffled sound at all. But was fairly distorted otherwise. Was that a straight LP rip or had you processed it?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It was a straight LP rip. There sounds like tracking distortion, but it could be that the LP wasn't very well pressed or it was abused previously. I've found a couple of new ones and have two more copies coming, but I'm way too busy over the next 6 weeks to do anything.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff. Recorded so early in the life of the recording arts, quality is as to be expected. But hey! It's frigging Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff. Recorded so early in the life of the recording arts, quality is as to be expected. But hey! It's frigging Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff!!!!!!!

I know what you mean, Jack. I think I have that somewhere but I'm not really eager to find it. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Sound of Music OST from RCA. Bright and hard. No wonder people liked Lady Gaga's performance at the last Oscars. :D

Lots of Scepter Recordings of Dionne Warwick. I don't have the heart to junk them, the songs just make me feel so good.

Last edited:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Saxophonist Dexter Gordon, one of the most important musicians of the 20th century, recorded with a bad out of tune piano.
Unbelievable that he accepted these conditions, but the playing is marvelous.

Last edited:

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
Capitol's Duophonic fake stereo used, particularly, on the U.S. Beatles' album BEATLES '65 tracks: She's A Woman and I Feel Fine.
These have become "world famous" in their sonic -yet rocking!- infamy.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Almost all of my favorite rock and pop songs from the 1980s are terribly recorded. I think Bruce Springsteen’s Born to Run sounds like a mess. I think Meatloaf’s Bat Out of Hell sounds like it was recorded on a cassette recorder with Radio Shack microphones. I think Bridge Over Troubled Water sounds like it was recorded by a microphone around which was wrapped cotton candy.

Last edited:

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Kashmir (and half a dozen of other tracks) on PG, Led Zeppelin. A masterpiece of an album, recorded like crap!

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing