Worth getting a used 1060 or new 1160?

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Got caught by the Boulder trap some years back and have a 1010 pre with 860 power. Speakers are Triangle Magellan Cellos. Front end is Marantz SA10 and Linn LP12/Clearaudio Davinci m/c. Room not huge (7m x 4m and 2,5m high) but would like to get the best from the speakers which I think are gorgeous. Choices seem to be a used 1060 or a new 1160 - but I'm not rolling in dosh so that 1160 would be a final lifetime purchase and I would feel rather guilty about it... Any comments or advice, please? Mainly classical, jazz, female vocalists and classic 1960s-80s rock. Thanks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Since you have the 1010 the 1060 would be the match. The 1160 is likely better but you would then be tempted to update the preamp. Boulder can get expensive in a hurry. Great equipment.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
For that kind of money, personally I would sell my separates & buy a Vitus SIA-030 integrated.

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
To answer the question posed, if you have a good used 1060 available at a good price, I would buy it.

Jeff L

Mar 10, 2017
Kent UK
Thanks to all members for these helpful comments. At my age (76) I'm aware that my listening years are limited and my hearing re higher frequencies is probably in decline (must get it checked). Living in the UK means access to dealers who can provide good range of top amps for comparison is limited, but I have spotted a 1060 locally for about £9000 so I will probably try that contact first.

In passing - is there a thread somewhere about the effect of ageing and hearing decline on our beloved but rather expensive hobby? Does ever more excellent (and expensive) equipment compensate for our aural decline, or are we chasing rainbows? I wonder what the general experience is. Just a thought!

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
As we get older, you want a smooth, non-fatiguing amp that is musical within our hearing range. For that reason, older audiophiles tend to gravitate towards tubed or tube-like amps. I admit i'm a bit biased, but i've found Vitus Signature series amps generally have a tube-like sound which floats my boat (i'm 49 yo). Though there are others like CH Precision who offer a liquid, tube-like sound.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The preference for a "tube" sound or the neutral Boulder sound does not, in my experience (over 60), change because of age. When you hear the 1060 compared to the 860, that should answer your question about compensation. i think compensation is the wrong inquiry. It is the same question at any age -- can you hear a difference and is that of value to you.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
1060 is a great amp.
Best built amp i ve ever owned .
However for the same money one can have a used Cat jl2 sign to which i switched eventually.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The one thing lacking with the boulder 1060 is unrestricted dynamics and they sound a bit clinical to my ears .
They do go very deep in the bass region and control speakers very good .
It all comes down to whether the amp and speakers are a good paring.
Boulders are known to control even difficult speakers very good.
I would try a second hand 2060 which is a class A design afaik.
Jeff fritz even bought one and he has heard a lot of stuff.
1060 is AB and probably the new version too.
Another strong point of a boulder is that its a dead quit amplifier

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually i looked it up and the 1161 runs the first 17 watts in class A then switches to AB.
The review is on tone publications.
Its also rated 150 watts 8 ohms and the 1060 was rated 300 8 ohms afaik.
But the 1160 would probably be also 300 watts , I didnt know they now have a 1160 and 1161 model.
May be some one with the right knowledge can chip in and clearify the 1060 1160 differences

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing