Would Acoustic Foam On The Ceiling Help My Room?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I am a complete novice when it comes to room acoustics but acoustic foam is rather inexpensive so I though this might be worth a try for my flat ceiling.

The room is 14ft wide x 13ft deep and 8ft high. The speakers are roughly 2.5ft from the front wall and I sit about 2ft from rear wall with a large bookshelf that covers most of the rear wall. The room has plenty of furniture, blinds, coat rack and house plants to help with some diffusion.

I am considering a 4ft x 4ft section of 2 inch thick acoustic foam for the ceiling in roughly the middle of the room and possibly a 4ft high x 2ft wide acoustic foam behind each speaker. A wall coat rack and blinds pretty much cover the first side reflections. Also considering some corner foam pieces in the ceilings. I don't feel like the room is "echoey" in any way but would this idea deaden the sound too much or possibly help with some resonance?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Nuprin, am considering the same thing. Reach out to Al M who has addressed his own ceiling issues.

Some thoughts. First, go for an absorber/diffuser approach. Consider only first reflection points, maybe also second ones. Start cheap so you don't get stung if it doesn't help. Go light, so you don't destroy yr ceiling attaching and removing.

The two systems I'm looking at.

GIK Acoustics Versifusors.

Thomann Viscoustic Multifusors DC2.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Nuprin, am considering the same thing. Reach out to Al M who has addressed his own ceiling issues.

Some thoughts. First, go for an absorber/diffuser approach. Consider only first reflection points, maybe also second ones. Start cheap so you don't get stung if it doesn't help. Go light, so you don't destroy yr ceiling attaching and removing.

The two systems I'm looking at.

GIK Acoustics Versifusors.

Thomann Viscoustic Multifusors DC2.

Ah, I'm looking at the rather light, inexpensive stuff you can find on Amazon. It just needs some backing and 3M peel away tape which will be easy to remove if I decide it doesn't work. I think this look like a good deal that would cover the ceiling and front wall reflections:

https://www.soundassured.com/produc...style-panels-13-colors?variant=13939064537123

The room is open on the front left side and open again on the back rear so by no means is this a perfect space, but wanted to try some things that can be taken down easily if it didn't work. Worst case, I've got some shipping foam in the future!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I suspect I need more diffusion than absorption.

Stick to reflection points only. And chat to Al M, he's the only member here to specifically post on ceiling treatments.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am a complete novice when it comes to room acoustics but acoustic foam is rather inexpensive so I though this might be worth a try for my flat ceiling.

The room is 14ft wide x 13ft deep and 8ft high. The speakers are roughly 2.5ft from the front wall and I sit about 2ft from rear wall with a large bookshelf that covers most of the rear wall. The room has plenty of furniture, blinds, coat rack and house plants to help with some diffusion.

I am considering a 4ft x 4ft section of 2 inch thick acoustic foam for the ceiling in roughly the middle of the room and possibly a 4ft high x 2ft wide acoustic foam behind each speaker. A wall coat rack and blinds pretty much cover the first side reflections. Also considering some corner foam pieces in the ceilings. I don't feel like the room is "echoey" in any way but would this idea deaden the sound too much or possibly help with some resonance?

Interesting question, Nuprin. I used to have lots of treatments and thought they helped. They did indeed dampen the room and reduce echos. I have recently removed all but two small panels at the first reflection side walls. The room is now much more lively. I prefer it now. A friend has a more damped room, and he likes that very much. I think it depends on which you prefer, honestly. It is always worth experimenting for yourself to find the right balance that works for you. One has to hear it for himself, IMO. Good luck and welcome to WBF.

Reactions: Nuprin

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Thanks Peter! Since the room is only 8ft high with furniture, bookcases & plants, I don't think it sounds that bad but with the speakers kinda close to the front wall, my guess is that at least some diffusion there should help and also tighten the bass. I'm curious to see if it will widen or deepen the soundstage or do the opposite but improve imaging.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You are welcome Nuprin. In my experience the things you are talking about can perhaps all be accomplished with speaker position and listening seat adjustments. I would exhaust efforts to get that right first and then only add room treatment as a last resort personally, especially if it is a multipurpose room.

Last edited:

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
You are welcome Nuprin. In my experience the things you were talking about can all be accomplished with speaker position And listening seat adjustments. I would exhaust efforts to get that right first and then only add room treatment as a last resort personally, especially if it is a multipurpose room.

Unfortunately it is a family room with a 65" TV/entertainment stand and the speakers are also part of the surround sound system. The seating position can't really be moved either so I'm kinda stuck with how far out I can bring the speakersand where I can sit.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Hi Nuprin,

Those foam tiles are pretty useless, they dampen but at a very narrow frequency band and you end up with uneven tonality. The adhesive isn't bad but you'll still have sections coming off.

david

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Hi Nuprin,

Those foam tiles are pretty useless, they dampen but at a very narrow frequency band and you end up with uneven tonality. The adhesive isn't bad but you'll still have sections coming off.

david

Thanks for chiming in David. Maybe I'll look into getting some high quality diffusers for the front wall reflection at least and just forget about the ceiling.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for chiming in David. Maybe I'll look into getting some high quality diffusers for the front wall reflection at least and just forget about the ceiling.
It's impossible to make any kind of recommendation without being in your room and knowing what needs fixing.

david

Reactions: Bobvin

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The room is 14ft wide x 13ft deep and 8ft high.

You have a squarish room that invites bass modes, and those modes will invite chaos not only in the bass you are hearing but in everything else.

.............. the speakers kinda close to the front wall, my guess is that at least some diffusion there should help and also tighten the bass. I'm curious to see if it will widen or deepen the soundstage or do the opposite but improve imaging.

Diffusion is the path to start out with, but typically doesn't do much for bass problems.

I see quite people in the forum using SMT S-Wing Acrylic helmholtz diffusers, you may want to look into it because it has a high wife acceptance factor, and certain models get low into the bass regions.

Example-1:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-little-barn.26426/

Example - 2:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/a-new-smt-level-3-reference-room.18576/

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
It's impossible to make any kind of recommendation without being in your room and knowing what needs fixing.

david
I agree. You need to base any recommendation for room acoustics on subjective listening, backed up with objective measurements. And for the latter, you really need to pay a pro for a couple of hours to accurately measure your room in situ.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Nuprin and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. One alternative to paying a professional is to try an LEDR test to your room. This can be found on a Chesky Jazz Sampler either downloaded for around $12.00 or purchased on a hard copy for whatever the current going rate is (usually 15-$40). You might want to start there and experiment to see what the best options are in your room.

Here it is at the lowest price I ran across on HD Tracks for a download if you are interested. https://www.hdtracks.com/chesky-records-jazz-sampler-audiophile-test-compact-disc-vol-1

Tom

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Hello, Nuprin and please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum. One alternative to paying a professional is to try an LEDR test to your room. This can be found on a Chesky Jazz Sampler either downloaded for around $12.00 or purchased on a hard copy for whatever the current going rate is (usually 15-$40). You might want to start there and experiment to see what the best options are in your room.

Here it is at the lowest price I ran across on HD Tracks for a download if you are interested. https://www.hdtracks.com/chesky-records-jazz-sampler-audiophile-test-compact-disc-vol-1

Tom
Oh, I might have a version of that myself as I recall using something that convinced me that I would never get my hybrid stats to work as part of a HT system.

Related article:

Take Me to Your LEDR!
https://www.stereophile.com/features/772/index.html
To use LEDR, you only need one set of test instruments: your ears. LEDR consists of a series of computer-generated sounds that are intended to move in a predefined way between a pair of loudspeakers. A sampled cabasa (a percussion instrument often used in Latin music) is electronically manipulated to move through three different paths. The paths are Up, Over, and Lateral. The differences between what these signals are designed to do, and what your system actually produces, represent a measure of the imaging accuracy of the stereo speakers, electronics, and the room environment......................

[Since this article was published, a LEDR track was included on the first Chesky Records Jazz Sampler & Audiophile Test CD (JD37).—Ed.]

I wonder if this LP does much the same as the Chesky CD.

Frequency Sweep LP
http://www.cardas.com/music_frequency_sweep_lp.php
The Cardas Frequency Sweep and Burn-in Record is a unique tuning tool for system set-up, diagnostics and maintenance. It was produced by George Cardas and mastered by Stan Ricker. The ³Sweeper², in addition to the standard tones, includes relative and absolute polarity checks, vocal channel identification and frequency sweeps that ultrasonically clean the cartridge stylus and degauss the entire system. And, locked, pink noise grooves that repeat endlessly, blank plateaus, even a sync label to check platter speed. All on a 180 gram pressing with a smiling Stan cover.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Not quite the same, kach22i. AFAIK, the LEDR test is only available on that particular CD and is quite unique in its testing abilities. It uses phase manipulation to help one find causes of the stereo image to be warped or not right.

IIRC, one test has an image that is right in between both speakers that starts at the mid part of the speaker and goes up. Straight up to (if dialed in right) and beyond the height of an 8'tall ceiling. Another test goes in a half moon shape from one speaker to the other. If any part of the half moon imaging is compromised? Fix it until it works. The arch should be smooth, unbroken and symmetrical.

Then they have a depth test that brings the sound from in front of the speakers to about IIRC, about 12' back. Then they have the R to L test that will go outside of the bounds of the speakers. If anything is amiss, adjust, move things or place treatments, plants or furniture in the affected areas until the imaging is correct.

The Cardas LP looks to be more geared toward correcting any LP playback issues and touches on imaging.

Tom

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC

Tom

Awesome thanks! The Azure 851N can pull from the networked computer at home so is there an advantage to a particular format I should download between AIFF, ALAC, FLAC and WAVE? I either use my iphone or ipad to connect to the Azure and also have a subscription to Apple Music and just joined Qobuz to try them out.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
You are welcome, Nuprin. Unfortunately, I can not answer your question. I own the physical media and am not much of a download guy. I just wanted to point you in a possible direction that may benefit you.

Others here may be able to shed some light on which download for your gear...

Tom

Hrek1

Feb 7, 2020
It's certainly worth a go if you think the acoustic scan do with some improvement. I recently got some new studio foam here if you're looking. Really pleased with it so far.

Dennis Foley

Sep 11, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
www.acousticfields.com

Open celled acoustic foam will assist you with reverberation time issues. Make sure you use a foam technology that is specifically designed for music and voice. Do not use diffusion until you have your reverberation times within the room managed correctly. Diffusion will make your room sound worse without proper Rt-30/60 time signature management.

Reactions: Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing