Would you Pay $250 to Hear Specific Equipment at a Dealer?

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
I have been looking at putting together a system for a second home we recently purchased. I am trying to keep the system relatively simple as it will be located in the living room. So I am focused on speakers, one of the SOTA integrateds and a DAC that is also a streamer. After spending a fair number of hours researching options, I have short lists for each component and the speakers, and am now looking for opportunities to hear some of them in person. As I live in place that has no decent audio store (a pretty common condition these days, as we all know), I am willing to travel, or incorporate visits to audio salons when traveling for business or other reasons.

I located a shop in a region to which I travel for business a number of times a year that carries one of the integrateds and a pair of the speakers that are both on my short lists. So I called the shop to confirm that they had the models on display and discuss well in advance (as opposed to just showing up one day) coming in to hear them together. The dealer stated that they had both models on display and would be happy to have me come in and hear them, but that I would be required to pay a fee of $250 which would be applied to any purchase, but would otherwise be non-refundable.

I do not want to identify the dealer or the equipment as I am not looking to do any public shaming. However, I am curious as to what folks think about such a policy. It is the first time I had heard of it, but perhaps it has become a trend of which I am unaware? I will say that the combined MSRP of the integrated and the speakers is not too far south of six figures. I will also say that the dealer made no effort at all to qualify me in any way. So he asked no questions about what my system in my primary residence includes, he did not learn that I would in fact be traveling a significant distance to come to the store, or otherwise ask any questions at all before stating the demo policy.

So, what do folks think about such a policy? Would you be willing to pay such a fee to hear equipment at a dealer’s showroom that the dealer already has on display? Also curious to hear from members who are dealers. Do any of you have such a policy?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think it is a matter if you are willing to pay the $250 to listen to the specific equipment set up for you, with the proviso if you buy anything from them (over the $250) they would credit you. If you are travelling any distance, what is the cost of your travel and the time? You may be able to find a dealer who won't charge, but what will that cost you in other expense and time. A dealer's time and equipment is a real cost to them and they make it up through sales. This is an interesting way to recover that cost whether or not the sale is made.

I think a similar model is going to Hertz and renting a Tesla for a day to give it a thorough test drive under various conditions to determine whether you want to buy it or not. Obviously, the car rental company gets the money whether you buy or not and nothing is credited back to you by Tesla.

I had a more similar experience with a very nice hotel which also offered partial ownerships. If you stayed in the hotel for one or a few nights and decided to purchase the partial ownership, they would credit your hotel costs against the price of the partial ownership.

Larry

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Possibly.

If they are a B&M dealer with regular business hours/employees, this is a little out of bounds as far as I am concerned, especially if you pre-arrange an appointment.

I'd be more open to that arrangement if they are a home dealer with another "real" job and there aren't regular business hours.

Now if you make an appointment to listen to the equipment in either situation and are a no-show, then I'd support the charge.

Beau

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Never! I won’t pay for a demo period! If a dealer has equipment worth listening to, then he won’t need to charge anything!

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
On one hand I can understand why a dealer may do this. It wards off tire kickers. But on the other hand he is a retailer so if we wants a sale it involves some work and risk on his part.

so no I would not pay unless he was the only dealer for the product. I would find another dealer.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I’d be curious to know what the distributors of the gear you want to demo think about this policy. I suspect they’d be quite interested.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
I’d be curious to know what the distributors of the gear you want to demo think about this policy. I suspect they’d be quite interested.
Well, a closer look at the dealer’s website reveals that the policy is articulated there, although a few clicks are required to find it.

KevinO

Dec 26, 2018
Slightly off point but one of my favourite dealers in my country has just started something a bit similar. He was spending an inordinate amount of time setting systems up for demo to people who would show up, listen , spend a lot of his time getting the required info then go get the gear elsewhere ( online?) for presumably a cheaper price. Of course, any issues then they'd be straight back to him demanding that he sort it. Any demo fee will be totally refundable against any purchase. Risky approach? Maybe. But totally understandable in one way.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Things like this were part of what made me want to get into the business. There are respectful ways to qualify clients and ensure both sides of the process feel comfortable and valued. This approach is not one of them.

Systems in this budget class should have exceptional levels of service from knowledgeable professionals who work hard to earn your business.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Ultra high end and typical real Hifi is a very difficult dealership I think. These forums have a Plethora of high end audio. I would look in this place to help you sort out devices.
money I can’t comment on but I think real guidance is more important
Just my two cents

Reactions: Erikl

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...do you pay online via Ticketmaster? Jokes aside, I wouldn't pay a dealer just to listen to gear. I thought that's what they were in business for.

Perhaps a follow-up conversation framing your objectives could help? You're serious, and maybe you can convince him of that. That has worked OK for me a few times.

Posting the fee policy on the website allows him to point to it if he needs to for some reason, which could be absolutely legit for squirrelly tire kickers. However, everything is negotiable, as should be this policy/fee IMO.

My take is he doesn't want to waste time on a casual lookie-lou or have you buy closer to home from a dealer who doesn't want to stock the top gear he has.

For reference: I paid 300 bucks for a dealer to drive a pair of speakers 65 miles one-way, but I paid for them up-front after researching and listening at that dealer. However, I had the deal written that if we set them up at my place and they didn't work, he takes them back, keeps the 300 but I get 100% refund on the speakers.

I mention the above case, just to illustrate any deal can be struck through sincere negotiation. Good Luck!

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I'd at least consider verve and wit with someone afraid to spend a few fractions of a penny on their phone bill to set up a sale.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
While I wouldn't pay a fee to listen to equipment at a dealer's showroom, the more troubling part to me is that he didn't ask you questions about your goals, budget, where you live, etc. The best dealers, the ones who try to establish a relationship that will outlast one purchase, do that. Easy for me to say, but look elsewhere.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
This is a simple Q&A for me. They ask me to pay them $250 and after I finish laughing in their face, I tell them to have a nice day.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I think a similar model is going to Hertz and renting a Tesla for a day to give it a thorough test drive under various conditions to determine whether you want to buy it or not. Obviously, the car rental company gets the money whether you buy or not and nothing is credited back to you by Tesla.
To me this is more like I pay the shipping cost for a home demo. I have done this in the past and honestly in my opinion, this is really the only way to know how the gear will perform.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would consider it an insult.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Well, a closer look at the dealer’s website reveals that the policy is articulated there, although a few clicks are required to find it.
If the fee is on their website and is effectively public information, which should be at the top of his home page, why not disclose the name? Who is forcing this owner to sell gear or he just selling his time? What else is this dealer hiding? Does this person take medicare? Ridiculously absurd.

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
I would never pay a fee to be able to audition a component a dealer has in their store. If they were shipping you an item for a home demo and you had no prior relationship then this might be more appropriate.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Definitely.disclosure would be my first option.
.I assume Rhapsody Audio does not charge admission to thwir listening rooms
They may have a procedure for weeding out tire-kickers.
Public shame is definitely in order.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Definitely.disclosure would be my first option.
.I assume Rhapsody Audio does not charge admission to thwir listening rooms
They may have a procedure for weeding out tire-kickers.
Public shame is definitely in order.
To be clear, the fee applies where a prospective customer asks for an appointment to listen to specific gear. It is not an admission fee.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing