XP22: Stereophile Review

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

MAXPWR

Dec 1, 2019
Iowa, High-End, Fly-Over Country
Audire , I ran across your post on the XP-22 Stereophile review, which for me inspired my first letter to an Editor in my life. I have cut an pasted this letter below. Needless to say it was never published in the "Letter to the Editor" section. I was not impressed with Jim Austin's effort in doing the XP-22 review. He had just become the Editoir, so maybe he was busy......??

Editor: Answer the question…

The June issue arrived and I was very excited when I saw the Pass Labs XP-22 on the cover. The cover teaser, “IS THIS THE STATE OF THE PREAMPLIFER ART?” really inspired me since this preamp is on my short list of possible purchases/upgrades for this coming year.

I read the article two times, because the first time through it I felt I had not learned anything and had the impression Austin was damning the unit with faint praise. The very last paragraph finally gave some impression the XP-22 may have some virtue. The main content of the review seemed very superfluous. Was it because he really did not have anything good to say about the unit, or had not spent much time with it? The review felt like an attempt to get the word count up on work that was rushed at the last minute. Like a student not spending the required amount of time getting proper results to enable proper documentation; thus, not allowing anyone to make many valid conclusions.

I contacted two other local Stereophile readers, one of which owns the XP-22 preamp, and they both echoed my response to this review. In no way did I feel the question on the cover was addressed or answered!

Regards,
XXXXXX XXXXXxX

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Great letter. I agree it was a somewhat negative review in places. However, I took the positives from it and purchased one. It should be here shorty - I hope.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
That's a good letter, MAXPWR, and I'm not surprised it was not published. I assume we've all been reading Stereophile and TAS for some time, so I'll say to me (I did read the review) it seemed like the sort of classic "review speak" that was meant to portray a reviewer's disfavorable impressions without actually saying so. I suspect others can think back over the years to remember reviews with a similar sort of bent. I do hope I'm wrong and you are right in that JA2 maybe just had his hands full (then why didn't he give the review to someone else?). But to me it had all the trademarks of a "meh" high end audio review - "if you can't say anything great, don't say much of anything at all, and make sure to do it in a way that doesn't tick off the advertiser".

IMO. Others may disagree.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Great letter. I agree it was a somewhat negative review in places. However, I took the positives from it and purchased one. It should be here shorty - I hope.

You should love it. I upgraded from the XP-20 to the XP-22, and love it. The most obvious improvement is the elimination of the cheap, throw-away, interconnect cable between the power supply and the pre. Now it is a professional, heavy duty cable. Of course, it also sounds better. :)

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
You should love it. I upgraded from the XP-20 to the XP-22, and love it. The most obvious improvement is the elimination of the cheap, throw-away, interconnect cable between the power supply and the pre. Now it is a professional, heavy duty cable. Of course, it also sounds better. :)
Many Thanks. I think I will be more than satisfied with the Pass Labs 260.8s and the XP22. I was going to get the XP12, but for the price vs. sound difference decided on the XP22 instead.

I spoke with the dealer this morning. We're waiting on the Quadraspire Amp Stands and the Magico A3's at this point. Maybe 2-3 weeks ... I keep repeating - The wait is part of the journey, the wait is part of the journey, the wait is part of the journey, but I want it now. :)

MAXPWR

Dec 1, 2019
Iowa, High-End, Fly-Over Country
Audire,

Sounds like you are assembling a very nice system, which will give you many years of enjoyment!

In the December 2019 Stereophile issue they managed to better reflect their feelings about the Pass labs XP-22. They gave it the “Amplification Component of the Year Award” (pp-55 of issue VOL. 42, No. 12). The only mistake they made in this short article is that they attributed the design to Nelson Pass. Wayne Colburn designs all of the Pass Labs preamplifiers and well deserves the credit for excellent efforts on the XP-22.

I believe you will be very happy with the XP-22 in the long run. Congratulations!

Reactions: Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
MAXPWR,

Many thanks. Nice to see something even more positive and even better written.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I am preamp hunting and was considering a pass pre and was very surprised to read this part from the review the op posted.

"Smitten by the XP-22, I expected to hear big differences. But when I listened to the Pass Labs and PS Audio preamps in direct, volume-matched comparisons, I was surprised how close they were in sound. The Pass seemed a tad more open, and perhaps more extended at the extremes. The soundstage was a touch more precise. Yet, through the PS Audio, music sounded more visceral, more embodied, to a small but meaningful degree. That quality is important to me—a big success for the much cheaper PS Audio preamp. "

This is a big win for the BHK pre as its a lot cheaper than the XP22! So essentially are we mainly paying for the superior fit and finish the xp22 ? Maybe the BHK is the smarter buy if SQ is the main focus within a certain budget?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I am preamp hunting and was considering a pass pre and was very surprised to read this part from the review the op posted.

This is a big win for the BHK pre as its a lot cheaper than the XP22! So essentially are we mainly paying for the superior fit and finish the xp22 ? Maybe the BHK is the smarter buy if SQ is the main focus within a certain budget?

But the very next paragraph reads:

The Pass, though, won big on volume control. The PSA's volume control, which is innovative, may be technically better—I can't say, since I've heard either volume control only in the context of an entire preamp—but its feel is far inferior to that of the Pass's volume knob. It makes some noise (see my review); the XP-22's volume control was silent. What's more, if you turn the BHK's volume knob very slowly, the volume doesn't change at all no matter how much you turn it. Changing the volume with the XP-22's big, smooth-turning knob was a pleasure. To me such things are of marginal importance—but in perfectionist audio, marginal matters. You decide how much they matter to you. ...
And in summary:
... In concert with the rest of my system, Pass Laboratories' XP-22 sounded great: full-bodied, rich-toned, robust, resolving, spacious, essentially neutral. But it was the whole experience of using the XP-22—its rugged, understated look; the subtle texture of its faceplate; the feel of the volume knob's action—that won me over. It just clicked for me, in a way that's entirely reasonable and yet transcends reason.

IMO, we shouldn’t pick our systems based upon mere audio reviews. It’s our system, not Stereophiles. We need to listen. If after listening you enjoy the PS Audio more than by all means go for it ... If not then from personal experience I know the XP-22 works well. The fit, finish and functionality are all important in my book. And the XP-32 is a step up from it.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
But the very next paragraph reads:

And in summary:

IMO, we shouldn’t pick our systems based upon mere audio reviews. It’s our system, not Stereophiles. We need to listen. If after listening you enjoy the PS Audio more than by all means go for it ... If not then from personal experience I know the XP-22 works well. The fit, finish and functionality are all important in my book. And the XP-32 is a step up from it.
Ya I do greatly appreciate Pass's superior fit and finish and knob is gorgeous! But its $3500 more money. Thats a lot for the fit and finish alone.

But ultimately yes I agree, we have to listen and choose for ourselves... only issue is sometimes thats not possible (especially with electronics where you really need to do an in home demo to really hear how something plays with your system over a longer period of time). And thus often we are relegated to choosing gear based on reviews and other peoples impressions... (hopefully people we trust) and then selling if we are not satisfied.

Anyhow I did think XP22 would be on a totally different level than BHK... but it is only 1 man's opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Ya I do greatly appreciate Pass's superior fit and finish and knob is gorgeous! But its $3500 more money. Thats a lot for the fit and finish alone.

But ultimately yes I agree, we have to listen and choose for ourselves... only issue is sometimes thats not possible (especially with electronics where you really need to do an in home demo to really hear how something plays with your system over a longer period of time). And thus often we are relegated to choosing gear based on reviews and other peoples impressions... (hopefully people we trust) and then selling if we are not satisfied.

Anyhow I did think XP22 would be on a totally different level than BHK... but it is only 1 man's opinion.
After talking to the folks at PASS and reading What others have to say on here, and having the XP12 for over a month now.. I ordered the XP22 yesterday to compare to the XP12. Many, like myself thought the XP22 is an XP12 with external PS.. That is not the case. It is much more involved and uses a different topology. So I get to trade in my XP12 for the full price I paid towards the XP22, should I hear differences worthwhile, the XP22 will have a new home.. Love the trade up option I was given!
looking forward to the comparing the two units.. but getting dirty looks from the Mrs.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
After talking to the folks at PASS and reading What others have to say on here, and having the XP12 for over a month now.. I ordered the XP22 yesterday to compare to the XP12. Many, like myself thought the XP22 is an XP12 with external PS.. That is not the case. It is much more involved and uses a different topology. So I get to trade in my XP12 for the full price I paid towards the XP22, should I hear differences worthwhile, the XP22 will have a new home.. Love the trade up option I was given!
looking forward to the comparing the two units.. but getting dirty looks from the Mrs.

Congrats! Please keep us updated when you receive it on what you think. I am sure it will be amazing. Stereophile just posted a review of XP32 and seemed to really like it. I think Wayne is probably very trust worthy and makes solid gear.

I am still pondering my next move but an XP22 is high on my potential preamp list. Something still makes me think I should try tubes at least once. A Rogue RP9 came up for sale and that looks like an interesting option.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020

Mike any thoughts on the XP22?

I was just reading a review on the XP12 where they compared it to a DAG progression and found the progression only slight better. Pretty impressive!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Mike any thoughts on the XP22?

I was just reading a review on the XP12 where they compared it to a DAG progression and found the progression only slight better. Pretty impressive!

Good day ! I have many good thoughts about the XP22 in my system ! I ended up keeping the 22 over the 12. I wasn’t expecting to hear such a big difference between the two units.. yet I could hear differences from another room as I had it breaking in.
I find the 22 does everything better, from being quieter to being more open and dynamic. Lifelike imaging and an “accurate” soundstage, nothing bloated or “too big”. Everything sounds precise without being too analytical. You might want to look under the hood for tubes.. there Are no SS signatures to be found that I have observed. Very, dare I say, “natural” sounding to me.
My first (actually 2nd) SS line stage and I’m very impressed !
The pass sound leans to The right of neutral.. at least with my combination of gear and speakers. Which I like, others may not.. I can listen for hours on end without fatigue with all types of music. For those who think a SS preamp is evil, should have a listen to the 22 in their system.. just make sure it’s run in for a few hundred hours first..

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Good day ! I have many good thoughts about the XP22 in my system ! I ended up keeping the 22 over the 12. I wasn’t expecting to hear such a big difference between the two units.. yet I could hear differences from another room as I had it breaking in.
I find the 22 does everything better, from being quieter to being more open and dynamic. Lifelike imaging and an “accurate” soundstage, nothing bloated or “too big”. Everything sounds precise without being too analytical. You might want to look under the hood for tubes.. there Are no SS signatures to be found that I have observed. Very, dare I say, “natural” sounding to me.
My first (actually 2nd) SS line stage and I’m very impressed !
The pass sound leans to The right of neutral.. at least with my combination of gear and speakers. Which I like, others may not.. I can listen for hours on end without fatigue with all types of music. For those who think a SS preamp is evil, should have a listen to the 22 in their system.. just make sure it’s run in for a few hundred hours first..

Sounds fantastic! Anything about your prior tube preamps that you have that you miss? Like mid range richness or spaciousness, tone?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
One thing I love about my XP-22 is that it is in the 21st Century versus the beginning of the 20th Century.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
One thing I love about my XP-22 is that it is in the 21st Century versus the beginning of the 20th Century.
Lol.. I’m old and nostalgic too, and went for the “new” stuff..

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Sounds fantastic! Anything about your prior tube preamps that you have that you miss? Like mid range richness or spaciousness, tone?
Not really… I still have a 6SN7 based tube preamp that I can swap in, but have no desire to do so.. The midrange is palpable and real.. everything is open and spacious but in a more realistic way.. I’ve had a few friends over recently and have had some good feedback overall..
After so many years of tube electronics.. I thought my SS venture would be short and sweet.. but I continue to be delighted with this setup and synergy with my speakers.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Not really… I still have a 6SN7 based tube preamp that I can swap in, but have no desire to do so.. The midrange is palpable and real.. everything is open and spacious but in a more realistic way.. I’ve had a few friends over recently and have had some good feedback overall..
After so many years of tube electronics.. I thought my SS venture would be short and sweet.. but I continue to be delighted with this setup and synergy with my speakers.
Did you ever consider the coda F07x? Apparently according to Teejay at stereotimes its incredibly tube like and he actually preferred it over his XP30. He said it was as good as the ARIC audio motherload 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing