XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro Question

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hello,

Can anyone who has used this device tell me if I should expect to hear sounds thru both Left & Right loudspeakers when performing Room sweep and White noise calibration tests? My unit came with an RCA Y-Splitter that goes into the Preamp Inputs but I am only hearing sounds from the Left channel. Banging my head against the wall on this one as I suspect something is not working the way it should be.... :confused:

I have gone in and toyed with the Windows 7 sound settings to ensure the XTZ unit is set as the default device for microphone and playback. I have also Uninstalled/ReInstalled the Drivers and the App as well but still no dice.

In the Windows Control Panel sound menu they give you an option to test playback thru each speaker and when I click on the Right speaker I get no output. Clicking on the Left speaker produces a soothing chime as expected.. :p

Is my Y-Splitter trashed or is this whole operation supposed to be Mono?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Hello,

Can anyone who has used this device tell me if I should expect to hear sounds thru both Left & Right loudspeakers when performing Room sweep and White noise calibration tests? My unit came with an RCA Y-Splitter that goes into the Preamp Inputs but I am only hearing sounds from the Left channel. Banging my head against the wall on this one as I suspect something is not working the way it should be.... :confused:

I have gone in and toyed with the Windows 7 sound settings to ensure the XTZ unit is set as the default device for microphone and playback. I have also Uninstalled/ReInstalled the Drivers and the App as well but still no dice.

In the Windows Control Panel sound menu they give you an option to test playback thru each speaker and when I click on the Right speaker I get no output. Clicking on the Left speaker produces a soothing chime as expected.. :p

Is my Y-Splitter trashed or is this whole operation supposed to be Mono?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

The simple way to check would be to plug the cable you know is working (the left one) into the other (right) input! If you get sound out of the right speaker then the Y splitter is broken. Otherwise there is some issue with your system.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Now why didn't I think of that :)

Just performed another test and it appears the splitter has indeed crapped out. Looks like Im off to Rat Shack for a new one.

Thanks for your help

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Have fun with the XTZ and let us know how it's working out. Mine hisses like crazy but other gear in the same RCA input sounds fine. :( I also have trouble getting any room modes (s/w keeps saying none found).

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I was able to run thru a series of tests today after running out and picking up a new Y Splitter. At this point I'm still learning the ropes on the device but did perform 3 back to back Room Analyzer tests all of which reported no room mode found. I set the levels to be just above 75db before running the tests and it was showing the meter as "All Green" so in theory that should be all thats needed.

Now I would love to think that my room is so good that it has no modes but before I make that claim I will be running thru another set of tests tomorrow at a higher SPL which would better reflect my normal listening habits (95db range) and see what it reports under these conditions. On the flip side, a Full Range test did confirm issues with decay times in the Midrange region that will need to be addressed.

Thus far this seems like a very cool toy to play with.

wes

Jan 24, 2013
www.blu-ray.com
I was able to run thru a series of tests today after running out and picking up a new Y Splitter. At this point I'm still learning the ropes on the device but did perform 3 back to back Room Analyzer tests all of which reported no room mode found. I set the levels to be just above 75db before running the tests and it was showing the meter as "All Green" so in theory that should be all thats needed.

Now I would love to think that my room is so good that it has no modes but before I make that claim I will be running thru another set of tests tomorrow at a higher SPL which would better reflect my normal listening habits (95db range) and see what it reports under these conditions. On the flip side, a Full Range test did confirm issues with decay times in the Midrange region that will need to be addressed.

Check this out

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1264522/the-official-xtz-room-analyzer-thread

I wonder if it is worth investing in this as well?

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Have fun with the XTZ and let us know how it's working out. Mine hisses like crazy but other gear in the same RCA input sounds fine. :( I also have trouble getting any room modes (s/w keeps saying none found).

The SW not finding any room modes is good! Feel free to post your graph in a new thread on the room acoustics forum and we can take a look. There are a couple of areas to look at - particularly peak to dip variability at the highest resolution (1/12th octave) and also octave to octave variability (1/3rd octave).

alto63

Feb 23, 2013
Budapest
www.bartimexaudio.hu

Perfect rooms are very rare. Almost every room has several room modes. According to our practice (we are local XTZ reseller in Hungary), it is very important to set the test sound level high enough, and avoid any other noise which can harm the measurement.

HTCare

Nov 18, 2014
Hi, Im new to XTZ Pro II, so need help. While using Full Range feature the Distance in the top right does not change when I move the mike. How to reset this? Regards. Full Range RT60.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing