Yesterday

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yesterday - In Theaters June 28 (HD)

ever since we saw the trailer it looked interesting and how could a movie which had all Beatles songs be bad?

Well the intention was good especially with Danny Boyle as the Director who has made some very good movies

Suffice it to say the story had good intention but IMO never really got off the ground

I'd wait till it's On Demand or if you have nothing better to do see it as we did, during an afternoon matinee

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
thanks - we figured its at least good for the music. the summer schedule as been totally depressing but maybe something isn't better than nothing?

we saw Late Night and it was a "B" - cute, but a rental as well. I preferred Devil Wears Prada in a similar vein.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
We saw this on Sunday. Confession: I have a crush on Lily James. Kate McKinnon is terrific as the embodiment of every cliche about agents and Ed Sheeran was great as Ed Sheeran who realizes he actually sucks. Thought it was good but not great and somewhat frustrating as it could have been special.

I did think it touched upon larger issues (perhaps inadvertently) and I kept thinking about Russ Roberts' oft quoted Adam Smith "“Man naturally desires, not only to be loved, but to be lovely; or to be that thing which is the natural and proper object of love. He naturally dreads, not only to be hated, but to be hateful; or to be that thing which is the natural and proper object of hatred. He desires, not only praise, but praiseworthiness; or to be that thing which, though it should be praised by nobody, is, however, the natural and proper object of praise." OTOH, maybe I've indulged in too many EconTalk podcasts :p

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We saw this on Sunday. Confession: I have a crush on Lily James. Kate McKinnon is terrific as the embodiment of every cliche about agents and Ed Sheeran was great as Ed Sheeran who realizes he actually sucks. Thought it was good but not great and somewhat frustrating as it could have been special.

I did think it touched upon larger issues (perhaps inadvertently) and I kept thinking about Russ Roberts' oft quoted Adam Smith "“Man naturally desires, not only to be loved, but to be lovely; or to be that thing which is the natural and proper object of love. He naturally dreads, not only to be hated, but to be hateful; or to be that thing which is the natural and proper object of hatred. He desires, not only praise, but praiseworthiness; or to be that thing which, though it should be praised by nobody, is, however, the natural and proper object of praise." OTOH, maybe I've indulged in too many EconTalk podcasts :p

Not only did Ed Sheeran suck as Ed Sheeran, he' also sucks as an actor even though he keeps popping upon many films.
I had great hopes for this film but it fell flat IMO

Reactions: jazdoc

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
An interesting thought. An unknown The Beatles would probably fail to win X Factor in 2019.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
An interesting thought. An unknown The Beatles would probably fail to win X Factor in 2019.
Nice point. I think that might be because some things just can’t be engineered or manufactured. Perhaps it is something where it is best if we just simply let it be.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Saw Yesterday this afternoon, too much bad rom com not enough parallel universe/cool concept. Funny jokes disappeared after the first act. Lily James was great though.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Wasn't expecting much after reading the reviews but was actually pleasantly surprised. Frankly thought it was a much better watch than Rocketman.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing