yet another sabrina X matching question

walt stradlater

Mar 19, 2022
welp, apologies for another thread like this, but covid paranoia is killing my ability to go HEAR things. i ordered Sabrina Xs for a new room and cant wait.

the best all in one i have heard so far with them is the d’agostino progression. a hegel 390 sounded thin and a bit incoherent by comparison (tho obviously amazing for the money!).

so - here’s the Q: what are the odds that a Boulder 866, unheard, is a disappointment compared to the D’Agostino? i’d love to save some money and not have too many or really any more boxes.

thanks so much for any thoughts!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think your in the right track with Boulder for Wilson. Especially given the current delivery requirements for the Wilson.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
welp, apologies for another thread like this, but covid paranoia is killing my ability to go HEAR things. i ordered Sabrina Xs for a new room and cant wait.

the best all in one i have heard so far with them is the d’agostino progression. a hegel 390 sounded thin and a bit incoherent by comparison (tho obviously amazing for the money!).

so - here’s the Q: what are the odds that a Boulder 866, unheard, is a disappointment compared to the D’Agostino? i’d love to save some money and not have too many or really any more boxes.

thanks so much for any thoughts!

The DD will sound better than the 866 without question. I heard the 866 (on different speakers) and it didn't do a whole lot for me.

walt stradlater

Mar 19, 2022
ok, late in the game update: i freaked out. it may have been irrational, but i dont care. i enjoyed many options, including the ones listed above, and i auditioned the gryphon diablo 300 and a mcintosh 462 based system.

everything sounded good. depending on my mood and the track, i might prefer any of them, and yet the “lowly” mcintosh 7200 receiver from my office system sounded shockingly close to most pricier options, and i found i kinda (gasp) liked the mcintosh presentation - mellower less airy highs but w lovely full mids and bass.

so, the hell with it. in what i’m sure was an entertaining convo w my “dealer” i talked myself out of an integrated and into a C1100, twin MC611s, a hifi rose streamer, and ohmygodthrowanotherlogonthefire a used men220.

this is a disease. i am, probably like many of you, a mental patient. and i am so f#@$ing psyched to get my gear.

hi, my username is walt stradlater, and it turns out i apparently like the mcintosh house sound.

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
Congrats, there are many on this general forum who would never place McIntosh in a "what's best" list, but like you, I dig the musicality and especially the smooth, creamy mids. Very easy to listen to and not fatiguing, Mac typically provides enough clarity/resolution for what I like to listen to. I am going through a similar search for an integrated to pair with a new Sasha DAW set that will arrive early in December, and had forgotten about demo'ing McIntosh -- thanks for the reminder!

Last edited:

Hobblecreek

Jun 23, 2018
Colorado
I had a Diablo 300 and didn’t care for the sound, I much prefer the Ypsilon Phaethon that I have now in my primary system. I don’t think I’ll go down the Gryphon road again for my second system.

If I go the separates route I am considering an ARC 160S (and REF6 SE Linestage), or if I sick with an integrated then possibly a Burmester 032 or one of the D’Agostino integrateds. I’ve learned to go slow and carefully demo along the way. There are some others on the short list, but the synergy might not work as I’d like, so I’ll take my time.

The right answer might be to pair the Phaethon with the Wilson’s and get an Audionet Humboldt for my YG Hailey’s. It’s fun to be on the hunt and this could end up being the direction I go.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Last edited:

walt stradlater

Mar 19, 2022
You need to listen to Gryphon Diablo 300. Astonishing synergy with Wilson’s
i did hear the gryphon, albeit w rockports rather than wilsons.
i really liked it. no doubt. at this exact moment in my middle age, something abt more obscure, less distributed brands scares me off. i already have three kids, and i was worried it would end up being something i might have to take care of, rather than vice versa. if it breaks, if it freezes up w some firmware update, whatever. same logic that makes all kinds of compromises in decisions about cars, audio, all other kinds of tech. sometimes pursuing the Best can feel risky while pursuing the Really Quite Very Good gets you there with less risk, real or perceived. hey, at least to me.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Hello Walt. Congrats on the McIntosh/Wilson system. It is going to sound fantastic. You said you got a men200. How much room do you have for speaker positioning?

walt stradlater

Mar 19, 2022
Hello Walt. Congrats on the McIntosh/Wilson system. It is going to sound fantastic. You said you got a men200. How much room do you have for speaker positioning?
ok i have a v nice big room here, still lively/getting dressed but few funky elements,,, i can prob post a pic. the speakers are about 14” apart and i am about 14-15” away from each tweeter in a perfect triangle.

until we get further finishing the room i wont have the final speaker positions but my dealer did a v thorough positioning including the sabrinas, subs, and men.

so far, i would say (as has been widely reported), that the room perfect software makes bass miles better. i will take my men220 w me to the grave ;)

walt stradlater

Mar 19, 2022
I had a Diablo 300 and didn’t care for the sound, I much prefer the Ypsilon Phaethon that I have now in my primary system. I don’t think I’ll go down the Gryphon road again for my second system.

If I go the separates route I am considering an ARC 160S (and REF6 SE Linestage), or if I sick with an integrated then possibly a Burmester 032 or one of the D’Agostino integrateds. I’ve learned to go slow and carefully demo along the way. There are some others on the short list, but the synergy might not work as I’d like, so I’ll take my time.

The right answer might be to pair the Phaethon with the Wilson’s and get an Audionet Humboldt for my YG Hailey’s. It’s fun to be on the hunt and this could end up being the direction I go.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!
hobblecreek fwiw the D’Agostino stuff i heard was sublime

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing