YG Acoustics announces Dual Coherent 2 - Available to Sonja 2 series owners

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Just wanted to share with all the YG enthusiasts and owners WBF.

@KeithR @asiufy @Barry2013 @chuck @Scott W

Mono & Stereo © 2020: YG ACOUSTICS SONJA SERIES UPGRADED (monoandstereo.com)

Specifically, of interest to the Sonja 2 series owners. As with all of their speakers, you can add have them upgraded in the field, if you desire this upgrade.

Particular of note in bold. I hope this trickles down the line.

"Designed and optimized exactingly around the detailed phase and frequency behavior of the YG proprietary drivers, Dual Coherent 2 matches phase to an extraordinary level at the crossover point. In addition, current requirements are substantially reduced, further extending the range of amplifier choices available to customers.

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I wonder what this all means exactly. This is from an interview with Yoav Geva in High Fidelity in January 2015.

"What kind of amplification you suggest for your speakers?
YG Acoustics speakers work well with a very wide range of amplifiers. We have customers who use solid-state, and other customers who use tube amps. I can give a few general guidelines, but of course a specific choice should take into account the room-size, listening-habits, and other components in the system such as source and cabling.

Here are a few ruled-of-thumb:
1. 60+ Watts is recommended to achieve higher volume levels. A current-capable power supply is preferred, so some amps (with current-capable power supplies) can work well even if their wattage is a bit lower.
2. A decent damping-factor is required to maintain the speaker's neutrality, so solid-state and push-pull tubes tend to work better on our speakers than single-ended amps.
3. Single-amping and bi-amping are both typically supported. Some models support tri-amping as well."

Is this guidance changing?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I wonder what this all means exactly. This is from an interview with Yoav Geva in High Fidelity in January 2015.

"What kind of amplification you suggest for your speakers?
YG Acoustics speakers work well with a very wide range of amplifiers. We have customers who use solid-state, and other customers who use tube amps. I can give a few general guidelines, but of course a specific choice should take into account the room-size, listening-habits, and other components in the system such as source and cabling.

Here are a few ruled-of-thumb:
1. 60+ Watts is recommended to achieve higher volume levels. A current-capable power supply is preferred, so some amps (with current-capable power supplies) can work well even if their wattage is a bit lower.
2. A decent damping-factor is required to maintain the speaker's neutrality, so solid-state and push-pull tubes tend to work better on our speakers than single-ended amps.
3. Single-amping and bi-amping are both typically supported. Some models support tri-amping as well."

Is this guidance changing?
I didn't think their crossover technology could get any better.

But, with Dual Coherent 2. I think they are addressing some of the "issues" pertaining to how the crossover transfers energy to the drive units.

If If were to guess, this upgrade is an entire new crossover board installed in each respective speaker. Dual Coherent 2 is some kind of DSP processing running on this boards.

That being said, I'm no speaker designer/engineer and of course just speculating.

Further, it wouldn't surprise me if this new tech also appears on the "entry" level YG models debuting later this year. They are supposed to sit below the Carmel 2 in terms of pricing.

Supposedly, it is their answer to the Magico A series.

To make an accessible speaker(s) you have to be able to drive them with accessible electronics.

2021 looks to be an exciting year for YG.

Last edited:

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I recently heard the Sonja XVs, that have the new crossover, and they sounded superbly coherent for a 4-box loudspeaker. This is what separates YG from Magico, Wilson, and Rockport.
Then you heard the Sonja XVi. Coherence separates YG from the rest but that was true with the pre "i" versions as well. What separates the "i" from the earlier YG Sonja XV? YG says they can be driven by less powerful amps which raises the questions, how? and is that a good thing? The drivers and cabinet are unchanged.

Reactions: Mdp632

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Then you heard the Sonja XVi. Coherence separates YG from the rest but that was true with the pre "i" versions as well. What separates the "i" from the earlier YG Sonja XV? YG says they can be driven by less powerful amps which raises the questions, how? and is that a good thing? The drivers and cabinet are unchanged.

I'd also like to know more regarding these improvements over the pre i versions.

How much more coherent is upgrade compared to the old? I didn't think it could get much better.

I'm guessing the big improvement is the lesser current requirements as mentioned in the press release.

I think the new Sonja 2i speakers even gained 1more db of sensitivity as per YG's site.

micro13

Jun 15, 2020
I have to admit I'm quite happy with my Sonja 2.2 without the "i", but still interested how much better the "i" version will be.
In Europe the upgrade costs from 2.2. to 2.2i are 8000 Euros (nearly 10000 US$), not really pocket change.
The improvements should be significant if I decide to do the upgrade.
Let's see what people can tell us who'll have experience with both versions.

Davidny

Nov 29, 2014
I have Sonja XV Jr’s. YG came to my home to upgrade the crossovers. The upgrade is expensive, but the new crossover boards are larger and have a completely different and packed with an impressive looking array of capacitors and inductors. The XV Jr’s already sounded great, but on first listen after replacing the crossovers they sounded much more dynamic, ultra quiet noise floor, greater clarity and instrument separation. The upgrade probably needs 200+ hours to fully burn in. In conclusion, if you can afford it, I highly recommend the upgrade.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have Sonja XV Jr’s. YG came to my home to upgrade the crossovers. The upgrade is expensive, but the new crossover boards are larger and have a completely different and packed with an impressive looking array of capacitors and inductors. The XV Jr’s already sounded great, but on first listen after replacing the crossovers they sounded much more dynamic, ultra quiet noise floor, greater clarity and instrument separation. The upgrade probably needs 200+ hours to fully burn in. In conclusion, if you can afford it, I highly recommend the upgrade.
I have ordered the upgrade for my YG Sonja XVs but I have to ship them back to Colorado. PITA. I am waiting for the boards to be built.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I have ordered the upgrade for my YG Sonja XVs but I have to ship them back to Colorado. PITA. I am waiting for the boards to be built.

Congrats on the upgrade. But, why won't the dealer do the install? Especially at the XV level. One of the advantages of YG is the field installable upgrade.

Further, I assume the XVs have 4 boards (1 per channel) so, do you mean you have to ship the speakers back or just their respective crossover boards (I hope)

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
YG says that the upgrade to my XVs has to be done at the factory. Four of the twelve modules have to be crated and shipped back, the midrange and tweeter sections, not just the boards. I will miss them while they are on the road but looking forward to getting even better sound, which is hard to imagine. I figure the good folks at YG will also check out everything on my four year old speakers and they will come back as good as new.

Reactions: ctydwn and matakana

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The YG Sonja XVs are away for the upgrade. In their place I have my Paradigm Tributes; 5 driver, 3 way, Be tweeter, about 45x12x16", 92 lbs each, 93 dB. The current Paradigm equivalent looks to be the Persona 5F at $18K. The sound with all the same gear including the Boulder 3060 is really good on their own merits, far better than with the Anthem MCA20 or Classe CA2200 amps. But still not remotely close to the YG Sonja XVs. For example, I have been playing the RBCD of the Tchaikowsky Piano Concerto No. 1 with Pogorelich/LSO/Abbado. The soundstage is no longer "orchestral" and the piano does not sound 9' grand.

Reactions: matakana and ctydwn

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
The YG Sonja XVs are away for the upgrade. In their place I have my Paradigm Tributes; 5 driver, 3 way, Be tweeter, about 45x12x16", 92 lbs each, 93 dB. The current Paradigm equivalent looks to be the Persona 5F at $18K. The sound with all the same gear including the Boulder 3060 is really good on their own merits, far better than with the Anthem MCA20 or Classe CA2200 amps. But still not remotely close to the YG Sonja XVs. For example, I have been playing the RBCD of the Tchaikowsky Piano Concerto No. 1 with Pogorelich/LSO/Abbado. The soundstage is no longer "orchestral" and the piano does not sound 9' grand.
Iam sure they will be even more sublime, congratulations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing