YG Acoustics

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you. i should have been more clear...i meant i look forward to readina
Try https://www.yg-acoustics.com/product/sonja-tm-xv :)
And check out the "Configurations" tab too.
YG doesn't make active speakers anymore, only the sub (InVincible).
Try https://www.yg-acoustics.com/product/sonja-tm-xv :)
And check out the "Configurations" tab too.
YG doesn't make active speakers anymore, only the sub (InVincible).

thank you! I should have been more clear...i meant i look forward to reading about Chuck's experiences with the Sonja XV and particularly vs any other speakers he has owned/auditioned.

Nevertheless, will look at the links to read up...i am pretty sure i have read most of it already!

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Which vitus pre power are you using?

I haven’t listened to the new MSB DAC but dealer also told me it sounds different than the previous model.

Understand you are also based in Singapore. I am importing the aqua formula in as no local dealer here.

Yep from Singapore as well!

Using my old sl102 connected to a ss103!

You are welcome to come give a listen, although my speakers are quite different from yours haha.

Reactions: sujay

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Yep from Singapore as well!

Using my old sl102 connected to a ss103!

You are welcome to come give a listen, although my speakers are quite different from yours haha.

Nice to meet fellow audio gang in Singapore. We can arrange! Haha

After the aqua formula arrives, you can have a listen too. If remember correctly, you are a CH C1 user?

Reactions: JayT and sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Jay and Kimurstankey, Actually it will be great to listen to your audio set ups. And of course I will be delighted to get you guys home for a listen being based in Singapore myself! We can connect offline...

Reactions: kimurastanley

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
YG owner here using Spectral electronics. A rare but , amazing (IMHO) of course combination.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Jay and Kimurstankey, Actually it will be great to listen to your audio set ups. And of course I will be delighted to get you guys home for a listen being based in Singapore myself! We can connect offline...

Sure Sujay. We will take it offline

JayT

Oct 10, 2017
Nice to meet fellow audio gang in Singapore. We can arrange! Haha

After the aqua formula arrives, you can have a listen too. If remember correctly, you are a CH C1 user?

Yep using a ch precision c1!

Sounds like a plan! In the midst of reorganising some stuff, but should be ready to host soon.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Another YG owner here, Sonja 2.2 driven by ARC Ref250 SE mono's via a ARC Ref10 preamp. Using both analog and digital sources however looking to upgrade DAC shortly. Just committed to a Taiko Extreme server, hope to take delivery in 8-10 weeks.

Also a current owner of KEF Blades and Coincident Reference Extreme's. Both excellent speakers however find that the Sonja's provide a level of warmth and transparency that notably improves on my other speakers. And there are many other elements of sound that they produce extremely well but perhaps their greatest asset is they do not seem to accentuate any specific aspect of the sound that draws attention to itself. It just feels like music is occurring in front of you At least in my room, with my components. I guess I always should make that qualifier. I find the YG's to be very involving speakers that I find difficult to turn off.

Because of a reputation early on that the Sonja's were somewhat difficult to drive and to grip the low end I did augment them with a pair of REL 212/SE subwoofers. While the subs do perhaps provide some very bottom end they had a greater impact on imaging and soundstage capabilities.And these qualities were already very good with the YG's being driven by my ARC Ref250 SE's on their own.

I do wonder if solid state amplification will provide a better grip on the Sonja's and perhaps provide better dynamics. Something like the D'Agostino's Momentum/Progression? However will I be trading off some of the qualities that I previously articulated above that make these speakers so musical and so involving? I believe that the combination of the ARC Ref10 preamp and ARC Ref250SE feeding the Sonja's are largely responsible for the sound I value so much.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Because of a reputation early on that the Sonja's were somewhat difficult to drive and to grip the low end I did augment them with a pair of REL 212/SE subwoofers. While the subs do perhaps provide some very bottom end they had a greater impact on imaging and soundstage capabilities.And these qualities were already very good with the YG's being driven by my ARC Ref250 SE's on their own.
Agree. The effect is ditto with my pair of REL G1s augmenting my Rockport Aviors. Though I would rather stick with the REF 250 if I were you. I would wager they are very capable of driving the Sonja.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Yes, I think you are right the REF 250's are capable of driving the Sonja's. I certainly am happy with the sound of the ARC electronics with the Sonja's but would like to hear a quality SS amp on the Sonja's in my room. Am I missing something with respect to dynamics now?

sujay, If you do not mind me asking, what amp(s) are you using to drive your Aviors. The Cygnus was a speaker I had seriously considered along with the Magico S7 and Vivid G1 before deciding on the Sonja's.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
sujay, If you do not mind me asking, what amp(s) are you using to drive your Aviors. The Cygnus was a speaker I had seriously considered along with the Magico S7 and Vivid G1 before deciding on the Sonja's.
I use the Burmester 911 monos. The Aviors are a moderately difficult load and hence imo work best with high powered SS. I really liked the Sonja when I heard them with Vitus 103 amplification. Very coherent and balanced.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Ahhh...just checked...you ARE the Chuck who owns the Boulder 3060...stunning. The Boulder 3000 series is definitely one series I would absolutely love to hear some day.

Would love to read more about the Sonja XV. I believe you can drive the entire 4-tower speaker from your Boulder 3060 stereo? ie, the bass towers are passive?
I use only the Boulder 3060 to drive all four towers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Another YG owner here, Sonja 2.2 driven by ARC Ref250 SE mono's via a ARC Ref10 preamp. Using both analog and digital sources however looking to upgrade DAC shortly. Just committed to a Taiko Extreme server, hope to take delivery in 8-10 weeks.

. . .

I do wonder if solid state amplification will provide a better grip on the Sonja's and perhaps provide better dynamics. Something like the D'Agostino's Momentum/Progression? However will I be trading off some of the qualities that I previously articulated above that make these speakers so musical and so involving? I believe that the combination of the ARC Ref10 preamp and ARC Ref250SE feeding the Sonja's are largely responsible for the sound I value so much.

Congratulations on making the decision to use high-power tube amps on the 2.2s! I think the ARC REF 250 SE monos are just what the 2.2s need!

I also think REL 212/SEs are a great subwoofer selection. Bravo on all points!

(For me personally I would not question whether you should switch to solid-state amps. I would just be happy with your current system.)

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Congratulations on making the decision to use high-power tube amps on the 2.2s! I think the ARC REF 250 SE monos are just what the 2.2s need!

I also think REL 212/SEs are a great subwoofer selection. Bravo on all points!

(For me personally I would not question whether you should switch to solid-state amps. I would just be happy with your current system.)
Ron, I appreciate your support and vote of confidence. When I hear the siren call of a better/bigger amplifier, I will reflect on your wisdom and wise counsel. I am very much afflicted with 'audio nervosa'. My current system is making music in my home beyond my greatest expectations. I am happy.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
My experience with the XVs is they aren't terribly difficult to drive but will take and fully use whatever the amp sends them. Some months ago, I was thinking of moving to tube amps and auditioned the ARC Ref 160Ms, the XVs sounded smoother, with a pleasing sort of tone, that many call "musical". The Boulder produced much tighter sound top to bottom, with none of the "musical" tube tonality and got the XVs to play everything on the recording -- something the tube amps did not. After a while, I didn't really like that tonality and I stuck with solid state. There is also the bonus of no heat issues, consistent sound, no tubes to replace etc. etc. Just my two cents.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My experience with the XVs is they aren't terribly difficult to drive but will take and fully use whatever the amp sends them. Some months ago, I was thinking of moving to tube amps and auditioned the ARC Ref 160Ms, the XVs sounded smoother, with a pleasing sort of tone, that many call "musical". The Boulder produced much tighter sound top to bottom, with none of the "musical" tube tonality and got the XVs to play everything on the recording -- something the tube amps did not. After a while, I didn't really like that tonality and I stuck with solid state. There is also the bonus of no heat issues, consistent sound, no tubes to replace etc. etc. Just my two cents.

Do you bi-amp the XVs?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: Ron Resnick

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Sharing my thought here:
After I got the carmel 2 in May and paired with diablo300 and msb platinum 4 plus, i didnt really like what I listened. When played loud, i feel the high is on the sharp side with sibilance.

Few changes done since then, the DAC is changed to aqua formula xHD and 5 SMT Swings were installed (3 at back wall and 2 behind the speakers). These changes help in taming the highs albeit i still perfer more meaty and beefy mids.

Recently i have a chance to try accuphase e650 in my system. I really like how the musics and vocals sound. There is this mid range magic that will just pull me into the musics without getting fatique. Downside? I lost the low end control and attacks of music. Bass becomes less tight

Looking forward, when fund is allowed, i looking to change to different amp to suit my taste.
Setting the budget not more than SGD30k/usd22k, i looking at these few options:
1. Vitus RI-101
2. Vitus SIA 025mk2 (not considering SIA 030 for now as over my budget)
3. the new silbatone JL-107 int amp (interesting tube hybrid amp and deliver 120w 8ohm)
4. Accuphase pre and power (A48+A2450)

Other brand i am interested is luxman, but unfortunately no dealer here.

Will start to explore the above with local dealers.
Of course, any other recommendations are welcomed

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Crazy that Luxman isn't in Singapore... Oh well... It wouldn't have been a particularly warm pairing anyway...
A safe bet would be a D'Agostino Progression integrated. I've used the Momentum integrated on Carmel 2s, and it was really good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing