YG Hailey 2.2, Magico M2 or Avantgarde Duo XD ?

Hi all,

Avante-Gardes.jpg
I am considering to upgrade my speakers and I would like this upgrade be “significant”.
I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying very much. It’s a fantastic value for money speakers ! Now I would like to keep their main strengths ( dynamics,transparency,difficult room “friendly”) and improve in terms of subtlety, decay and layering .
My room is small / medium , pretty “bright”, speakers will be relatively close from the front and rear walls and my listening is distance is pretty short (2.5m/3m).
So I am looking for a speaker with a “limited” footprint.
In terms of music, my taste is very eclectic so I am looking for speakers able to be very good “all rounder”.

I have preselected 3/4models :
- YG Hailey 2.2
- Magico M2
- Avantgarde Duo XD
- potentially TAD CR1 + subs

Duo XD would be the logical upgrade path but I feel those relatively big horns need space to breathe...
YG Hail 2.2 : was not considering them initially but after a superb (and totally random ) listening session I couldn’t exclude them any longer ! and I really like the possibility to upgrade further on ( but the 2.2 model is anyway just updated)

Also my current front gear is Accuphase C2850/A70 (have also a 300B SET amp ) and given the significant investment ahead of me, if those new speakers could be compatible with them ( even if not THE perfect match) it would help !

What do you think?

Thanks
Alex

PS : there are many other very good speakers/ brands but for many different reasons those 4models are my short list

Last edited by a moderator:
The Magico dealer was actually not too busy and did the switch to the second auditorium earlier today. So I went there.
This second auditorium is 450sq ft so still big. Front gears were still dCS ( but Rossini) and Constellation preamp/monoblock but lower range,power conditioning was less elaborate as well : we lost quite significantly in terms of depth,resolution and soundstage and being closer from the speakers in a “smaller” room did not help to improve my involvement in the music. Don’t get me wrong it was not bad but below my expectations.
I believe Magico M2 speakers needs a fuller source than dCS ( emm labs?,Lampi?,MSB?,Totaldac?) and are very demanding in terms of amp to make them disappear.

So from now on, will focus now on YG. Hoping that the second listening session will confirm the first one otherwise it is gonna be a long and challenging quest...

I'm not convinced your audition will be at all similar to what you'd experience if you owned the speakers and carefully setup an optimal system for them, but that said I've not heard the latest Magico M line at all, so IDK.

It's hard to go wrong with YG though, I think they are at the top of the industry but honestly, I'd only consider the Sonjas which aren't cheap.

On adding subs to Haileys, it will help with bass extension and quality, but not much with impact. This is limited by the small sealed-box woofer, which is going to limit the entire system to relatively low SPLs. To make subwoofers really work out and increase the SPL capabilities of the system (while reducing distortion by quite a bit at higher SPLs), the Hailey's would need to be highpassed and there's no great way to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn
Hi Moby,
Not sure the full spectrum of electronics you may be able to test or are considering. My H2.2s pair very well w Simaudio. Currently drive them w a 870a and a front end including the 740p and 780d v2 DAC. Soon will be moving to two 860a v2s as monos. The pressurization in my room is, for my tastes, amazing (paired w one jbl Fathom 112 v2), and lower miss and bass are incredibly detailed. I have no doubt the Sonja 2.2s will take it to another level as Dave describes and his expertise indicates. My dealer would also agree. Will be really interested to hear your impressions when you get to compare the S2.2s and H2.2s. Excited for you.

Reactions: asiufy
FWIW, heard a similar setup in Munich (Constellation/Nordost/M2), was not impressed. I do think that the main culprit is the Nordost, especially the speaker wire, these will easily ruin most setup, IMO. (...)

An excellent sounding system that I really enjoy in my neighborhood includes Constellation Audio / full set of Nordost Valhalla 2 / Magico M6 ... ;)

Thanks for the tip Alex !
We tried with the Soulution preamp and I found that with this preamp the resolution and the dynamics improved. Out of curiosity I might just quickly try the Soulution amp but for this price and if I had to switch from Japan to Switzerland I might give a preference to CH Precision ( might be a bit too dry with YG speakers however) as I like their modular approach.

The Soulution pre is excellent. I haven't liked the combination of pre and power yet but I love the preamp especially into valve power amps

Listening session part 2 :

So I went back to the YG dealer but had to shorten a bit the listening session for personal reasons.

1) Music used for testing ( CD/SACD) :
Hadouk Trio,Ahmad Jamal Trio, Hans Theesink, Hugh Masekela,Gregory Porter, Stacey Kent,Leonard Cohen, Birdy,Dead Can Dance, Martha Argerich, Chopin,Carmen, Daft Punk and some audiophile percussions tracks to focus on the bass so overall quite diversified selection.

2) Room, listening distance were exactly the same. The speakers had spikes this time but not the original one and still not optimised on that aspect.
Upstream Gear:
Combo 1: Luxman m900u stereo,Luxman c900 preamp, Luxman D08U sacd player.
Combo 2 : Soulution series 5 sacd player , 725 preamp and 711 stereo power amp.

Won’t go into the details of comparing both upstream gears as the purpose was more to focus on speakers reaction. Overall I preferred the Soulution setup but was it coming from the source,preamp,power amp or a mix of all , don’t know but hv my idea... ( planning to start another thread: optimal front gears for sealed box speakers...)

3) Listening session:

Well it’s gonna be short as it confirmed 100% my initial impressions :
Purity,neutrality( upstream gears are playing a major role) , high resolution ( maybe not as good as Magico M2 but still excellent) , wide soundstage, no box impression , not edgy or harsh sounding, but still lacking a bit in terms of bass.
We did not have enough time to really explore a solution with REL subs but we quickly tried with a “modest” S3 . Not a revolution,marginally better but no issues in terms of integration despite a very quick setup. Next time we will try with the 212/se model!

4) So after this session :
Probability to
- keep my existing speakers: 15%
- go for M2 : 10%. Might give them another chance with Gryphon front end.
- go for YG : 75%.

(For my wife we should go for YG without hesitation..)

To be continued!!

Ps : the Sonja 2.3 ( no 2.2) are not sitting far from the Hailey but I have been strong enough not to listen to them. Anyway too expensive and too big!

Went for another listening session. I have been weak and tried for the first time the Sonja 2.3.... What a big mistake ... The Sonja is giving you more of everything: density, incredible soundstage,resolution,fluidity,liveliness, bass ( but still do not expect the chest impact that big focal utopia could give you for instance) . When you listen to live recordings you are really there! Going back to the Hailey was still very enjoyable but something was missing...
My dealer is giving me a very attractive offer and on top of that there is one pair on stock ( no stock for Hailey) so I can enjoy them immediately. Very very tempting but way above my initial budget....
As a side note, I surprisingly found the luxman amp "sharper" than the Soulution ( and so a bit less enjoyable with non stellar recordings) with the Sonja.

Went for another listening session. I have been weak and tried for the first time the Sonja 2.3.... What a big mistake ... The Sonja is giving you more of everything: density, incredible soundstage,resolution,fluidity,liveliness, bass ( but still do not expect the chest impact that big focal utopia could give you for instance) . When you listen to live recordings you are really there! Going back to the Hailey was still very enjoyable but something was missing...
My dealer is giving me a very attractive offer and on top of that there is one pair on stock ( no stock for Hailey) so I can enjoy them immediately. Very very tempting but way above my initial budget....
As a side note, I surprisingly found the luxman amp "sharper" than the Soulution ( and so a bit less enjoyable with non stellar recordings) with the Sonja.

Commiserations Moby!
But as Oscar Wilde said "Nothing succeeds like excess."

The YG line is very "linear". The extra effort in the cabinet construction of the Sonjas make them quieter, allowing for even more resolution and transparency. And the extra internal cabinet space helps too :)
Given that it's an upgradeable speaker, while above your initial budget, this is an investment you'll surely enjoy for many years.
As for the amps, we've found out the Luxman to like a nice warm preamp on the YGs. Its very low noise floor and speed will still come through, but with a nice dollop of warmth on top. I would NOT use Luxman's SS preamp with the M900, *on the YGs*. But Luxman is about to release a new TOTL tube preamp, so that might be a better pairing, and still relatively affordable.
IIRC, you have an Accuphase preamp? That should do the trick nicely as well. Maybe next time you visit the dealer, bring your preamp and see how it does with the Luxman.

Reactions: KeithR
Yes for sure YG speakers range are sharing the same DNA and indeed is Sonja serie is upgradable ( an expensive one) but still a plus !
My dealer being a good one, he will let me try any pre-power amps/sub at home ( a service which is very difficult to get here) so the comparison will be much easier !

I need to process the extra investment required...

Alex

Luxman is superb with the YG. Sometimes some amps sound sharp with the YG but that is set up. If you change the pre or cabling you should be able to sort that

Among multi-way dynamic driver speakers which excel in transparency and dynamics and coherence I think the Sonja 2.2/2.3 is fantastic. I personally still prefer the slightly warmer presentation of the Rockport Lyra, but I have tremendous respect for the YGs, and I totally get why the people who love them love them.

I think you should figure out how to buy the Sonja instead of the Hailey! You will be done with speakers for the rest of your life!

For a slightly warmer/not sharp-sounding amplifier — I have not heard this amplifier on YGs but I would bet live money that it would sound fantastic — I would try the very powerful but hybrid Aesthetix Atlas Mono Eclipse (which I think are actually a good value, relatively speaking).

Last edited:

They are among the best at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and there are a lot of really nice systems in decent sized rooms this year at the new venue.

Hi Moby
The September edition of hi fi + has a review of the Hailey 2.2 by Chris Martens who IME is a reliable witness who has previously reviewed most of the YG range.
I mention it because his review of the Hailey 2.2 draws on that experience including the Sonja and may provide you with some helpful insights as you struggle to choose between the two models, but I won't presume to advise you on one or the other. They are both superb speakers with phenomenal build quality and sound so either is bound to be a good choice.
Good luck!

Reactions: moby2004
They are among the best at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, and there are a lot of really nice systems in decent sized rooms this year at the new venue.

Hello Dave,

I will start reading some RMAF reviews but may I know with which gear the YG were playing?

Thanks
Alex

Hello Dave,

I will start reading some RMAF reviews but may I know with which gear the YG were playing?

Thanks
Alex

Very large VAC amps, would have to look up the other gear. I'll be posting pics and info later today. :)

Looks like AG is out of consideration but I would still like to mention that I have heard Duo XD sound really really good in a room as small as 14m2. This when paired with AG Integrated amp, some DSP was used for lower octaves but that's why it's there so no issue really and actually offers great compatibility for various spaces.
Choice is really yours, one speaker might be absolutely better than other but it all comes down to your personal preferences, system synergy and acoustics and layout of the room to be used.
I have no opinion about speakers mentioned except for AG, Zero offers great value, especially TA version and as happy owner of Duo XD, got nothing but positive things to say :)

Hi all,

View attachment 56575
I am considering to upgrade my speakers and I would like this upgrade be “significant”.
I am currently using Avantgarde Zero TA XD that I am enjoying very much. It’s a fantastic value for money speakers ! Now I would like to keep their main strengths ( dynamics,transparency,difficult room “friendly”) and improve in terms of subtlety, decay and layering .
My room is small / medium , pretty “bright”, speakers will be relatively close from the front and rear walls and my listening is distance is pretty short (2.5m/3m).
So I am looking for a speaker with a “limited” footprint.
In terms of music, my taste is very eclectic so I am looking for speakers able to be very good “all rounder”.

I have preselected 3/4models :
- YG Hailey 2.2
- Magico M2
- Avantgarde Duo XD
- potentially TAD CR1 + subs

Duo XD would be the logical upgrade path but I feel those relatively big horns need space to breathe...
YG Hail 2.2 : was not considering them initially but after a superb (and totally random ) listening session I couldn’t exclude them any longer ! and I really like the possibility to upgrade further on ( but the 2.2 model is anyway just updated)

Also my current front gear is Accuphase C2850/A70 (have also a 300B SET amp ) and given the significant investment ahead of me, if those new speakers could be compatible with them ( even if not THE perfect match) it would help !

What do you think?

Thanks
Alex

PS : there are many other very good speakers/ brands but for many different reasons those 4models are my short list
Alex, have regularly heard AG Duos (Omegas G2, not XD) excel in a 19x10 room w the spkrs less than 3' from front wall. Maybe some sacrifice on imaging. But stellar in many ways.

Reach out to owner Blue58.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing