Your Personal Top Three Speaker-Amp Combos That You've Actually Heard.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
OK People, A simple question from a simple guy. I'm on the hunt for new speakers.
What are the top three Speaker Amp Combos you've ever heard.

Honourable mentions are allowed.

It would be nice, but not imperative to describe the sources and the room as well as the venue of the experience. (Show, Dealer, Dedicated Listening room etc.)

And yes, your system counts.

A list of your current gear would be nice as well.

I'll post my answers after some thoughtful consideration.

Here is a pic of my system. The amps have changed and the Cygnus are now living in California... : |

. 20181107_163901.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
I'm an old phart, but I'll give you one from probably before you were born.

It was two pair of Ohm A's situated around a waterbed the size of a small pool. They were driven by an all SAE system. The venue was the home of the Los Angeles distributor for Ohm speakers, and was high in the Hollywood hills, with a fantastic view.

That was one memorable system.:cool:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
OK People, A simple question from a simple guy. I'm on the hunt for new speakers.
What are the top three Speaker Amp Combos you've ever heard.

Honourable mentions are allowed.

It would be nice, but not imperative to describe the sources and the room as well as the venue of the experience. (Show, Dealer, Dedicated Listening room etc.)

And yes, your system counts.

A list of your current gear would be nice as well.

I'll post my answers after some thoughtful consideration.

Here is a pic of my system. The amps have changed and the Cygnus are now living in California... : |

. View attachment 60264

First, nice system!
There have been a few of these sorts of "what do you recommend" posts on this forum but my first thought is that the Rockport Cygnus are damn fine speakers so I must necessarily ask, what exactly are you looking for? Or put another way, what was missing from your current system that you are hoping to rectify with new speakers?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
First, nice system!
There have been a few of these sorts of "what do you recommend" posts on this forum but my first thought is that the Rockport Cygnus are damn fine speakers so I must necessarily ask, what exactly are you looking for? Or put another way, what was missing from your current system that you are hoping to rectify with new speakers?
I agree...excellent system! REL Tower Sub configuration!!!!! The other question is assuming you want 'more' from your speakers...i would have thought given how well thought out your system appears to be...go up in the Rockport family?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am confused. I think Rockport Cygnus + REL “6 Pack” is an amazing speaker system. What did you feel you were missing with this system?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
IMHO, the Cygnus precludes all but very high power SS amps for my room and listening tastes, so I want something a little more amplifier friendly.
The MSB M202s at 200/400 WPC Class A into 8 and 4 ohms, did not punch hard enough for me, the Audionet MAX were more than fine (400/700/1100 WPC into 8/4/2)..

The Rockport Lyras are on the Radar, and perhaps the Zellatons, YGs the M6s or the Bayz Counterpoints, but I'm not convinced that "conventional" 85-90 db dynamic speakers are in my future.

I like the sensitivity and load characteristics of the Alsyvox (I loved the Apogees back in the day) which may will allow me to dance not only with my big German girls, but perhaps tube amps in the future such as the Jadis or Convergent or Doshi or ???.

And well I was overwhelmed by the sound of the Alsvox at Bobs at Rhapsody (thanks Bob!!), I must hear them again to allow my emotional response to take a step back and listen more critically.

I would also like to continue to travel to hear other assaults on WB...

There is a possibility that MY ideal speaker/(Amp) has not even made my short list, which is why I started this thread...:)

In any case, my REL 6 Pack will stay, until the new mains really prove they are not needed. (FWIW, I had the Cygnus flat to 20 in room, the R6P takes that down another half octave, and with the right source material, going down to 16 HZ can be EPIC!! (although less than 5% or recordings have any subsonic info)

Meanwhile, I've only had one dance with the Alsyvox and the Bayz, but, my journey has restarted, as the Cygnus are gone girls.....

Addenda

Most people figure my system is for head banging. Its not. (Although it can if the material requires it) The hardest part or tuning is not to have the subs mess up the main speakers' bass and midbass, but still give you the big hall pressurization when its there in the recording.

If you can 240 volt operation of your system, while admittedly difficult, is a true game changer, and I never use that phrase. Vince Galbo has written a masterful white paper on AC delivery including some discussion of the benefits of 240 Volts.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The only gear I truly listen too is my own gear. My current system is the best I have heard, and I have zero desire for anything else.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IMHO, the Cygnus precludes all but very high power SS amps for my room and listening tastes, so I want something a little more amplifier friendly.

Definitely the Rockport Lyras are on the Radar, as are the Alsyvox Botticelli; and perhaps the YGs the M6s or the Bayz Counterpoints.

The REL 6 Pack will stay, until the mains prove they are not needed.

I like the sensitivity of the Alsyvox, which will allow me to dance not only with my Germans but perhaps Jadis or Convergent or Doshi tube amps in the future.

I'm not convinced that conventional dynamic speakers are in my future.

I've only had one dance with the Alsyvox and the Bayz, but, my journey has restarted, as the Cygnus are gone girls.....
Well, you certainly have some great options...i also am intrigued by the Lyra and Botticelli. My favorite speaker to date is the Arrakis. But I remember the Apogee STages from many years ago...spectacular. I have read many positive comments about Alsyvox which seem to bear similarity to the great Apogees.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Things have come a long way.

In no particular order.
Apogee Scontilla driven by Rowland Rrsearch 5
Infinity rs1b driven by Mirror Image 1.1

Martin LoganCLS 1 driven by CJ premier eight.
The golden days of hi fi.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Genesis 1.1s by Kondo ref monos
Arrakis by 2 sets of VTL Siegfried II Monos

These two a long way ahead of anything else i have ever heard.

Probably then my own system, Wilson X1/Grand SLAMMS by Gryphon Mephisto...i must be biased! ;)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In no particular order:

Rockport Arrakis / 2 pairs of VTL Siegfried IIs

VSA Ultra 11 / VAC 450iq

Pnoe + AER BD5 / Mayer

Cessaro Zeta / 50w+ PSET

Gryphon Pendragon / Gryphon Mephisto

Gryphon Kodo / Gryphon Mephisto

Wilson Master Chronosonic + Subsonics / D’Agostino (I would much prefer other amps)

Genesis 1.1 / Kondo Kagura (?)

Stenheim Reference Statement / ? (Munich 2017)

Rockport Lyra / Absolare Hybrid

Reactions: amadeus

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
coming from the blue collar wallet. Hegel h360 and ultima Salon1 loudspeakers.
Salon 2 with Mark Levinson no 536 monoblocks.(demo)
Kef R105/3 and krell kav300il

Reactions: Mr Rickz

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
1. Oswald mills audio imperia, oma electronics, oma show room

2. Tannoy 15" monitor golds in retangular york cabs, radford sta 25, my previous listening room

3. Vintage huge 15" 2 way jbl's (not sure of model number), vincent hybrid amp, repair shop

Reactions: accwai

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
My 3 favorite systems which i've heard are...

- Infinity IRS-V's with Threshold Class A mono blocks and a reference vinyl source (can't recall which one). The room was the main, treated listening room of a local Dealer in 1991. The big IRS speakers are still the most awesome speakers i've ever heard, with phenomenal bass, stage size and ethereal 'reach out and touch it' imaging. Though big YG speakers get close in some ways.
- YG Sonja's with Vitus SS-102 and SL-102 pre. Source was an AMG Viella V12 tt with 12JT Turbo tonearm. The room was my Dealer's main treated listening room. The Vitus SS-102 lends a wonderful organic, tube-like sound which is a perfect partner to YG imho. Wonderful combination.
- My Magico S5 Mk2's with Vitus SIA-025 and Vitus SCD-025Mk2 cdp as source. Cables are Jorma Prime and Statement. The S5 Mk2's are a very complete speaker, with excellent bass, resolution, top to bottom balance and overall coherence. And the little Vitus integrated is the most tube-like Vitus amp, other than perhaps the old SS-102 & pairs even better with the S5 Mk2 vs the less sensitive Mk1. Natural sound I can listen to for hours.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The MSB M202s at 200/400 WPC Class A into 8 and 4 ohms, did not punch hard enough for me, the Audionet MAX were more than fine (400/700/1100 WPC into 8/4/2)..

The Rockport Lyras are on the Radar, and perhaps the Zellatons, YGs the M6s or the Bayz Counterpoints, but I'm not convinced that "conventional" 85-90 db dynamic speakers are in my future.

I like the sensitivity and load characteristics of the Alsyvox (I loved the Apogees back in the day) which may will allow me to dance not only with my big German girls, but perhaps tube amps in the future such as the Jadis or Convergent or Doshi or ???.

And well I was overwhelmed by the sound of the Alsvox at Bobs at Rhapsody (thanks Bob!!), I must hear them again to allow my emotional response to take a step back and listen more critically.

I would also like to continue to travel to hear other assaults on WB...

There is a possibility that MY ideal speaker/(Amp) has not even made my short list, which is why I started this thread...:)

In any case, my REL 6 Pack will stay, until the new mains really prove they are not needed. (FWIW, I had the Cygnus flat to 20 in room, the R6P takes that down another half octave, and with the right source material, going down to 16 HZ can be EPIC!! (although less than 5% or recordings have any subsonic info)

Meanwhile, I've only had one dance with the Alsyvox and the Bayz, but, my journey has restarted, as the Cygnus are gone girls.....

Addenda

Most people figure my system is for head banging. Its not. (Although it can if the material requires it) The hardest part or tuning is not to have the subs mess up the main speakers' bass and midbass, but still give you the big hall pressurization when its there in the recording.

If you can 240 volt operation of your system, while admittedly difficult, is a true game changer, and I never use that phrase. Vince Galbo has written a masterful white paper on AC delivery including some discussion of the benefits of 240 Volts.

Hi Kerry,

You are quite welcome for the demo we did a few months back. I'm actually confused by this post. When we talked last week you had told me that you had officially placed your order for Alsyvox Botticellis and were going to be the Canadian Alsyvox distributor. I must have misunderstood???

I was also under the impression that you are a dealer/distributor and not just buying speakers for your personal use.

Your OP here seems that you are an end -user buying speakers for your personal use. Just curious? are you a dealer buying for your store or are you an end-user buying your system for personal use. It doesn't matter either way of course, just confusing to me.....thx

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I no particulier order with the caveat that some systems were preferences years ago and i do believe one progresses in audio .
I havent been to an audio show /dealer in years, sorry.
From old to present .

Avalon ascendant/ mark levinson.
Wilson audio wp 7 / audio research .
Kharma exquisite / kharma amps.
Wilson audio maxx 2/ halcro ,mark levinson.
Magico V 3 / zanden.
And off course i like my own XPE design speaker / Convergent audio

Last edited:

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Hi Bob. Thanks for hosting John and I that evening in Manhattan. It was a most excellent evening in the big apple.
It was not my intention to misrepresent my status as a dealer. I am one. I'm a long term lurker but a relatively new active poster here.
As for my purchase of the Botticellis, I am all but commited to the plan of action I've outlined to you. As we have discussed, I want to come down to hear both the Tintorettos again and the smaller Bayz (I heard the big counterpoints at AXPONA) as we discussed on the phone before pulling the trigger on the Bots.
I am also looking for a second line of speakers to compliment the Alsyvoxs, which is where my other questions are coming from.

Kerry

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob. Thanks for hosting John and I that evening in Manhattan. It was a most excellent evening in the big apple.
It was not my intention to misrepresent my status as a dealer. I am one. I'm a long term lurker but a relatively new active poster here.
As for my purchase of the Botticellis, I am all but commited to the plan of action I've outlined to you. As we have discussed, I want to come down to hear both the Tintorettos again and the smaller Bayz (I heard the big counterpoints at AXPONA) as we discussed on the phone before pulling the trigger on the Bots.
I am also looking for a second line of speakers to compliment the Alsyvoxs, which is where my other questions are coming from.

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Thx, sorry I was just confused.....which btw, is normal for me. Happy New Year's Eve!

Bob

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing