YouTube warning

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I was going to post a video of Wagner's 'Prelude to Lohengrin', so I searched for one using the DuckDuckGo search engine. I found several and was going to listen to a few but was first presented this warning of which I had not been aware:

YouTube Privacy Warning.jpg

Credit Bureaus track your debt and borrowing. How long before we face Social Media Credit Bureaus?

Want to buy a car or post a video? Let's see what you've been listening to over the past five years to insure your viewing does not violate 'Our Policies'.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I was going to post a video of Wagner's 'Prelude to Lohengrin', so I searched for one using the DuckDuckGo search engine. I found several and was going to listen to a few but was first presented this warning of which I had not been aware:

View attachment 78021

Credit Bureaus track your debt and borrowing. How long before we face Social Media Credit Bureaus?

Want to buy a car or post a video? Let's see what you've been listening to over the past five years to insure your viewing does not violate 'Our Policies'.
Ominous social credits are already here in the form of ESG scores dictating corporate behavior and by extension ours. You better fit in if you want a job! This is just the tip of it do your own research it’s ominous and frightening! Vaccine passports are coming too and will affect our movement and liberties!

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/landing/investment-themes/esg-scores/

david

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ominous social credits are already here in the form of ESG scores dictating corporate behavior and by extension ours. You better fit in if you want a job! This is just the tip of it do your own research it’s ominous and frightening! Vaccine passports are coming too and will affect our movement and liberties!

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/landing/investment-themes/esg-scores/

david

Good point. I did not know the ESG acronym by name but recognize it in Morningstar, the financial information and rating site which has for some time now been offering their own Environmental, Social and Governance scores for the companies whose investment offerings they track.

It seems like something that has been concocted then put upon companies to respond to as they don't want 'negative ratings'. Then some will play upon it if they think it yields them an advantage. Those creating these ratings may think it gives them leverage over corporate policy and a means of directing social change/direction. Companies end up creating offices and officers to 'manage' these artificial classifications. I wonder (doubt) if the Dow Jones S&P Indices take into account the cost of what they're foisting on the corporate world.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Good point. I did not know the ESG acronym by name but recognize it in Morningstar, the financial information and rating site which has for some time now been offering their own Environmental, Social and Governance scores for the companies whose investment offerings they track.

It seems like something that has been concocted then put upon companies to respond to as they don't want 'negative ratings'. Then some will play upon it if they think it yields them an advantage. Those creating these ratings may think it gives them leverage over corporate policy and a means of directing social change/direction. Companies end up creating offices and officers to 'manage' these artificial classifications. I wonder (doubt) if the Dow Jones S&P Indices take into account the cost of what they're foisting on the corporate world.
We’re past that point European Union’s SFDR already kicked in on March 10!

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-eu-s-increasing-esg-regulation-and-7966413/

david

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
You do understand that this it Duck Duck Go using sensational language to attack their competitor. YouTube "tracks" what your watching so that it can suggest similar videos to you so you stay engaged with the website. DDG has been rumored to be developing a YouTube alternative, this sensational language helps them market it.

My wine seller "tracks" what wines I buy so he can recommend new wines when I come in. Is this him spying on me?

Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Pandoras' box. It's contents can be used for unintended purposes.

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
DuckDuckGo offers tracking and ad blocking. If their tracking blocking isn't capable of blocking youtube videos, I say it's prudent that they inform you of that.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You do understand that this it Duck Duck Go using sensational language to attack their competitor. YouTube "tracks" what your watching so that it can suggest similar videos to you so you stay engaged with the website. DDG has been rumored to be developing a YouTube alternative, this sensational language helps them market it.

My wine seller "tracks" what wines I buy so he can recommend new wines when I come in. Is this him spying on me?

Jeff, you don’t seem to be changing your behavior or the type of wine you buy because of his tracking. I think there’s a difference.

What concerns many folks is that such tracking may influence behavior to improve social ratings. Some view this as a form of social engineering. Others dismiss it as paranoia.

Reactions: ddk

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeff, you don’t seem to be changing your behavior or the type of wine you buy because of his tracking. I think there’s a difference.

What concerns many folks is that such tracking may influence behavior to improve social ratings. Some view this as a form of social engineering. Others dismiss it as paranoia.
I absolutely do. I only used to drink California Cabs, but my wine seller suggest other varietals that had similar flavor characteristics of the California Cabs. Now I drink more blends and Zinfandels.

was I socially engineered to try other wines?

There’s nothing nefarious in What YouTube is doing here and no social engineering in recommending videos that have similar characteristics.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I absolutely do. I only used to drink California Cabs, but my wine seller suggest other varietals that had similar flavor characteristics of the California Cabs. Now I drink more blends and Zinfandels.

was I socially engineered to try other wines?

There’s nothing nefarious in What YouTube is doing here and no social engineering in recommending videos that have similar characteristics.

Nothing nefarious going on with you and your wine choices and the seller making recommendations. Same with YouTube recommendations. This only seems helpful and useful. The concern is that the same technology can be used for more nefarious purposes.

I’m talking about how the technology can be used in other ways to harm the company or individual and encourage certain behaviors.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I constantly receive ads for the Magico M series. It is as if Alon could read me mind.

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing