Ypsilon Aelius II - tube rolling?

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
My Ypsilon Aelius II have got 2 kinds of tubes in the input: EZ81rectifier tube by JJ and a EC8010 NOS by Siemens. A socket on the same input board labeled "6c4p" remains empty. (A leftover from updating version 1 to 2? (I bought 2nd hand.))

I just ordered a matched pair of EZ81/6CA4 NOS by TESLA (77€ at Tube Amp Doctor Germany) )to experiment, will report.
If you have experimented with tubes in the Aelius or can suggest replacements from other tube rolling experiences I would be greatful for hearing from you.

Thank you
Charlie

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Yesterday I put the NOS Teslas into my amps for the first time.
They were better than the JJs right from the start: more natural, deeper soundstage, more precision in placement of voices and instruments, sweeter, less harsh hights without loss of detail. All this is not by a big margin, but well worth the investment of 83,90€ - to my ears.

gtepere

Oct 5, 2022
Yesterday I put the NOS Teslas into my amps for the first time.
They were better than the JJs right from the start: more natural, deeper soundstage, more precision in placement of voices and instruments, sweeter, less harsh hights without loss of detail. All this is not by a big margin, but well worth the investment of 83,90€ - to my ears.
My Aelius is for C3g or 8010 on teflon boards (recently added). In any case the C3g is far superior to the 8010. I replaced the EZ81 with a genuine 1959 Mallard 6CA4 by a huge difference than any other rectifier I've used (main key change). The special current fuses also have a small improvement to the sound result.

Reactions: Maceear

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing