Ypsilon DAC 1000

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Hello I listened to a system with a Ypsilon Phaethon + DAC 1000 and a PinkFaun 2.16. The PinkFaun was associated to the DAC 1000 in i2s through hdmi.

What do you call SE : Is it the silver edition ? I understand that Ypsilon have a lot of backorder because of the high demand. The DAC 1000 has 2 types of DAC inside : one for the pcm as a r2r and another for DSD based on a chip (AKM).

I did not compared face to face with another DAC. First listening session of 1 hour was really nice in this configuration. I did not feel any limitation or specific coloration.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I'm surprised that this hasn't gained much traction, I'm due to have an Ypsilon DAC 1000 here soon to help with some development work, maybe also the pre (PST 100), really interested in hearing what they can do as their reputation from those that have used them are very encouraging..

Sunny, did you use your sample?

We will compare against the Ayon Stratos, the new top level Ayon DAC due soon, (Kronos), and possibly a Lampi GG if I can swing it.. should be fun!

BR,
Paul

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm surprised that this hasn't gained much traction, I'm due to have an Ypsilon DAC 1000 here soon to help with some development work, maybe also the pre (PST 100), really interested in hearing what they can do as their reputation from those that have used them are very encouraging..

We will compare against the Ayon Stratos, the new top level Ayon DAC due soon, (Kronos), and possibly a Lampi GG if I can swing it.. should be fun!

BR,
Paul
Hi Paul - will be interesting to hear what you think of the Ypsilon which I agree has received positive reaction from the things I have read. I also wonder how it will compare to the Concert Fidelity DAC...also a NOS approach?

Reactions: Andrew S.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Indeed Lloyd, it will be fascinating to hear how these two compare on 16/44.1, via simple co-ax, and how this compares to the USB and I2s inputs, either way I'm expecting a pretty sublime sound..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ypsilon is top notch stuff.
Is anyone familiar with the Cessaro Air One and Air Two (their reference preamp and amp, respectively) which were designed by Ypsilon? The Ypsilon logo is actually on the front of these pieces alongside the Cessaro logo...so clearly an open collaboration.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Is anyone familiar with the Cessaro Air One and Air Two (their reference preamp and amp, respectively) which were designed by Ypsilon? The Ypsilon logo is actually on the front of these pieces alongside the Cessaro logo...so clearly an open collaboration.
I only heard there pre and power at a shop once and was very impressed, but cart help you with the two above.sorry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yikes! I just looked up the prices on these 2...USD $400,000 for both!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Your system is top notch congratulations.
That is very kind, and we are very blessed. It has been many years of hunting for second hand deals and trading in and up steadily over that time. It took 11 years to go from a Daewoo DVD player to a 2nd hand older Zanden DAC with the Daewoo as transport to a 2nd hand latest spec 2nd hand Zanden 4-box (DAC and Transport) for example. Nevertheless, to even speak about a Zanden in 2nd hand is a blessing, along with the rest of the system.

audiospirit

Jun 1, 2010
Reno, NV

BR,
Paul
Paul, I'm very interested in the results of your listening evaluations. I am considering both Ayon DACs and the Metronome as well. Please let me know your thoughts on the comparisons you did. Did the Ypsilon best the two Ayons?

Thanks!

A

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Audiospirit,

It is still to happen, we have been waiting for the new Ayon Kronos to become available which it is now, (delays due to AKM chip supply) so this will no doubt go ahead next year. From what I have heard the new Kronos Ultimate (top level version which is what we will have) is outstanding and on a par with the Ypsilon, just different attributes, and better specced as far as inputs go. This does bias my personal choice as I need a DAC with many inputs for developing the digital cable line up which the Stratos has coped with flawlessly so far.

I'll certainly update this thread when I have more to share..

Best rgds,
Paul

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Audiospirit,

It is still to happen, we have been waiting for the new Ayon Kronos to become available which it is now, (delays due to AKM chip supply) so this will no doubt go ahead next year. From what I have heard the new Kronos Ultimate (top level version which is what we will have) is outstanding and on a par with the Ypsilon, just different attributes, and better specced as far as inputs go. This does bias my personal choice as I need a DAC with many inputs for developing the digital cable line up which the Stratos has coped with flawlessly so far.

I'll certainly update this thread when I have more to share..

Best rgds,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Happy New Year. Very interesting to hear how it goes. Quite a statement that Ayon's new Ultimate reference is expected to be somewhere on par with the Ypsilon. Does this make your Ypsilon your current digital reference?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing