Zanden 1200 Signature

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Some information about this new Zanden phono stage has been shared here (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zanden-120-or-1200-mkii-looking-for-opinions.28833/), so I thought it would be better to open a new thread.

A friend of mine has bought the Signature recently. Unfortunately I haven’t heard it yet considering the current health situation but his initial feedback on sound is...let’s say VERY promising! Apart from changes CKKeung mentioned in the above thread, the new Zanden 1200 Signature also has 8 equalization options. The basic five equalization curves remain but they have added a new option - you can choose between two frequency positions of the 4th time constant (for COLUMBIA, EMI and DECCA), depending on which record cutting machine was used. The switch for the 4the time constant is on the back side of the main chassis.

Waiting for the end of this “corona crisis” is even harder now...

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I am interested in it, I wonder if the noise level went down because 1200mk3 was not silent enough for people whose systems are very efficient (105db+ 1m/1w). I do not know maybe it was a noisy tube but tube phonos are hard to get really silent. A lot of the equipment which are thought not to be noisy are revealed in systems like mine. Maybe I am a part of minority but who knows.
In my system 1200 mk3 is very quiet and can’t hear any noise from it, even with the ear on speakers on high listening levels. But my speakers are “only” 94dB 1W/1m... Funny you mentioned noise because the first thing that impressed my friend (ex.1200 mk3 owner) was the absence of noise and consequently better dynamic range. Dynamic bursts (from p to ff for instance) are considerably more natural. Will report on this more when I get a chance for a listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: kodomo

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
IMG-20200307-WA0113~2.jpg
IMG-20200307-WA0101~2.jpg

Reactions: Marcus

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Some information about this new Zanden phono stage has been shared here (https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zanden-120-or-1200-mkii-looking-for-opinions.28833/), so I thought it would be better to open a new thread.

A friend of mine has bought the Signature recently. Unfortunately I haven’t heard it yet considering the current health situation but his initial feedback on sound is...let’s say VERY promising! Apart from changes CKKeung mentioned in the above thread, the new Zanden 1200 Signature also has 8 equalization options. The basic five equalization curves remain but they have added a new option - you can choose between two frequency positions of the 4th time constant (for COLUMBIA, EMI and DECCA), depending on which record cutting machine was used. The switch for the 4the time constant is on the back side of the main chassis.

Waiting for the end of this “corona crisis” is even harder now...
Hello Marcus,
Do you have photos of the PSU and the back of the 1200 Signature?
Thanks!

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Dear Marcus, thank you for your response. I inquired but all the imports have stopped for now and they do not know when they will import from Zanden next :( so it will take some time...

My system is 109db efficient so sadly your system does not reveal much in terms of noise but it gives me hope hearing your friends response about the loss of noise!

I would be happy to hear as much as I can about this preamp :)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Marcus,
Do you have photos of the PSU and the back of the 1200 Signature?
Thanks!
Have only this relatively low quality photo of the back of the main unit for now. Have asked for the power supply photos too. Stay tuned.
E1DC097D-7830-4BAD-BCB3-3E7BAA383290.jpeg

Reactions: CKKeung

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
...a good LP audiophile friend of mine went for the audition.
He said that it was a surprise, as the 1200 Signature was NOT inferior to the Limited Edition phono of Yamada San.
Hope this is true at least to a degree since JINPU is (according to some of those who have heard it), the best of all special products Zanden designed for AE.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
The previous R-core transformer in the separate PSU of Mk3 is replaced by a FINEMAT transformer that has much lower noise floor.
Are you sure that Finemet transformer is used in the power supply? AFAIK, input transformers in the PSU of 3000 mk2 line stage and in 8120 and 9600 mk2 power amps are Cobalt. Finemet transformers are used only in output stages of power amps. Would be very happy if I’m wrong...

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hope this is true at least to a degree since JINPU is (according to some of those who have heard it), the best of all special products Zanden designed for AE.
Pretty sure too.
That frd of mine is a LP vateran and has very good ears.
But of course the might be a lot of confounding factors at that demo.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Happy news for all 1200 mk3 owners: Signature doesn’t replace mk3. Mk3 stays in production and can be upgraded to Signature status (VERY expensive) or you can only add 3 new equalization curves - the 4th time constant for a relatively modest cost.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
The switch for the 4the time constant is on the back side of the main chassis.
Must correct one mistake in the first post. The switch at the back side is not for the 4th time constant but for choosing between sigle ended and balanced operation. You can choose the 4th time constant with the selector on the front plate.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Do you really mean se or balanced “operation“ or just se/bal. output?

And do you know the official price for the Signature in EUR/US$/GB£?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Not 100% sure but think the switch is for operation. 1200 Signature is fully balanced.

Retail is 35.000€/$/£.

Last edited:

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Yes I’m sure.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
What is the output impedance? The same quite high 3kOhm for single ended or lower? and how much for the balanced output?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Output impedance is 250 ohm for RCA and XLR.

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Oh, that is more than 10times lower. In some constellations it could make a significant difference and sound improvement.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing