Zero Distortion: Altec Assault and the Magic of Misho (Audio Antiquary)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nothing really to share- compared to what some here are doing. I am just finishing a project I had on the 'slow burner' where I made a cab for the RCF cx15n351 coax with a design Bill Woods did for me ten years ago ( small footprint, quasi blh/reflex).

The cabinets are ugly as I am not a carpenter and this was my first project- but I learned quite a bit.

While I get my head around this current speaker I will assemble material for a three way horn setup next. My current thought is nothing pushing the envelope ( multi-cell mid horn for 2" driver, maybe with used EV dh1a if I find them, or one of the new midrange drivers from B&C or Faital not sure), 1" on top tbd but I hear good things about the Faital hf108, and FLH mid-bass. The mid-bass cab is where I am least settled. I do not intend to use Radian Beryllium or higher drivers...that would be stage 3 after learning more.

@christensenleif@msn.com your system is an inspiration ;)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
If I may, I had followed Bonzo’s conviction and had Altec 817 built by PBN Audio, the rest of the speaker pretty much is an exact copy of Misho’s. All GPA drivers.
Initially I’ve used it with the Misho designed passive x-over, and now am trying Pass Labs active x-over and bi-amplification.
Overall the sound is miles ahead of my previous Avantgarde Duo Omega G2/ Lamm system.
In the last few days I’ve been glued to my chair. Everything sounds exceptionally engaging to me.
And that’s all that matters.
I couldn’t have cared less if Altecs are technically compromised, I’m sure they are. But that is of no consequence to me.

Attachments

• 0A2B0BE4-3CB1-4934-A618-5080A34A8610.jpeg
    0A2B0BE4-3CB1-4934-A618-5080A34A8610.jpeg
    749.8 KB · Views: 71

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good points and sure many people love them, my post was a bit overly simplisitic, yet many who are actually desiging horns do not.

The variation I was targeting was if they are bass reflex and front horn loaded versus designs with a larger front horn load and some version of open rear wave. As far as I can tell several of your examples are the latter and hence are typically bigger- a big reason the VOTT cab has seen so much home use is its reasonable size with some LF extension. So when i asked I was referring specifically the Altec style flh+reflex not all flh. In some ways I answered my own question ( vott type is pretty small given efficiency and LF cutoff ) although you have prolific designers like Fitmaurice and others claiming to do everything a VOTT can do with smaller cabs. Just got me thinking.

Can you tell I'm planning a project :)

The Altec VOTT allows for lower extension in a 2-way. 2-way has advantages. The rear open ones will require some more space at the back, and all are even larger. But for me, key is to only replicate what plans are available for, and have heard them in person, where the person who designed a good specimen can help. DIY is rife with awful sounding speakers which happens when people try to design their own rocket to compete with Bezos.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That said, basing judgements on videos alone, I think some of the videos of that WAF system I linked above sound the best I have heard along with this, so why change? I don't know their exact plans though, the below is a DIY altec field coil with Garrard, SPU, WE 91b DIY amp.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
If I may, I had followed Bonzo’s conviction and had Altec 817 built by PBN Audio, the rest of the speaker pretty much is an exact copy of Misho’s. All GPA drivers.
Initially I’ve used it with the Misho designed passive x-over, and now am trying Pass Labs active x-over and bi-amplification.
Overall the sound is miles ahead of my previous Avantgarde Duo Omega G2/ Lamm system.
In the last few days I’ve been glued to my chair. Everything sounds exceptionally engaging to me.
And that’s all that matters.
I couldn’t have cared less if Altecs are technically compromised, I’m sure they are. But that is of no consequence to me.
I am originally from the Philadelphia area and my family is still there. I hope to make it back there next year and would love to hear your system.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I may have said this some pages back. I heard Howard Swanes big Altec with the 15 cell Chela multicell. It is shocking in how you are right there. It just envelopes you. Its an amazing sound. I do wonder if I would want to live with it every day. As I think about my new room, I wonder if I want to take those off Howards hands. But I can only assume the room would optimally need to be larger than the one I was thinking of to hold my PAP Trio 15. The speakers are big. But they look good. Like furniture.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The 9462 'ubangi' bass cab certainly is a large rendition of the flh+br topology. Sorry I have not heard it yet. So get it!!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is it known which drivers are installed?

Hi is using all original Altec drivers. Dual 515b woofers per channel.
Crossing over at 850 to two 288H per channel. This is in original altec metal horn with 18 cells
Crossing over at 5500 to Altec 902
Crossing over at 9000 to Jensen 302

All passive crossover

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Additionally he has another speaker you see in front which has WE 4151 woofer, with Altec 288H, and interesting above that JBL 375 beryllium instead of the 902, rest is same IMG-9582.jpg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2x 288H per channel? Sure? Do you have pics of it?
Yes sure. It is unique but not unheard of to use two midrange drivers. No, no pictures

Reactions: Verdier

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I am originally from the Philadelphia area and my family is still there. I hope to make it back there next year and would love to hear your system.
Sure, Id be happy to host

Reactions: advanced101

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I have a friend, Howard Swane who has these speakers. Or I should say a replica. He used EV drivers in rhe woofer. He uses the Chela multicell horn. Pretty amazing sound. He drives them with Altec 1570B to the woofers and Altex 1569 to the horn. Both amps modded. The 1570 by Transition and the 1569 by some other tech.
Just a heads up that I have a pair of Transition Audio upgraded Altec 1570b amps in the classifieds here, in case anyone wants/needs that kind of big bottle tube power for a FLH project :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very cool! Just to learn...what are you targeting for your new speakers to do that your current ones do not? (Nice system and room by the way!)

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
Very cool! Just to learn...what are you targeting for your new speakers to do that your current ones do not? (Nice system and room by the way!)
I would like just a little more low frequency by using all my 515s(4 a side instead of 2)… and secondly my wife doesn’t like the look of the “warship“ finish on the 817 cabinets.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would like just a little more low frequency by using all my 515s(4 a side instead of 2)… and secondly my wife doesn’t like the look of the “warship“ finish on the 817 cabinets.

The open baffle ones, from Bert in Netherlands, had less midbass whoomp. I am not sure if it was because the OB was losing bass at the back, or because he uses these DIY SS amps. Also, don't think he was using altecs then.

The vents of your current Altec should give enough lower bass with 515 if done right and more than OB. If you desire lower you will need subs is my guess.

Just to confirm, when you say lower bass are you referring to below 30 Hz, or are you just in general referring to the feeling of weight? The 817 cabinet you have should have very good weight

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

What amps are you using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing