Zero Distortion: Dalby Record Weight

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I can certainly verify the efficacy on my Bergmann - very noticeable in a good way. Mid bass heft and speed / articulation.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm surprised to read a ZD without comparisons! Thoughts on the Dalby vs others? e.g. Harmonix

I have an article on the blog if you search on shun Mook. It is done vs the harmonix. I have done a compare with shun Mook vs the Dalby but I did that before I discovered originals, I want to do one now with originals

Reactions: gian60 and gestalt

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How much is this thing?

If you need to ask price.

Actually, it's anywhere around 6k USD depending on which Dalby, and the price varies on the used market

Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
When it comes to audio, I always ask the price as it is half of the entertainment.

Didn’t fail with this one...

I’m not opposed to charging higher amounts than some understand for business necessity but these are OUT there.

If your platter isn’t dished you basically have to put a riser under the label. I’m not sure that would work with this due to contact area?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM

Actually, it's anywhere around 6k USD depending on which Dalby, and the price varies on the used market

No dig on you Ked. You are just the messenger. How stupid, ridiculous does high end pricing get? I believe ML has a record weight that retails at $4K. And now this product is $6K + / -. Another example of keeping up with the Joneses in the hi end audio pricing racket. For those that missed my past example, I cited the new Magico M9 and the Wilson Chronosonic which both retail at $750K + / -. And then there's the turntable world with prices at $250K and more.

Nuff said.

Reactions: lordcloud

siddh

Oct 2, 2012
I have the stubby shorter model. Purchased used about 4 years ago, replaced a Shun Mook and the Walker clamp...on a Walker Proscenium table. The benefits over the Shun Mook and Walker is, to me, unmistakable. The Walker, a bit too tight; the Shun a tad loose. So right in the middle rests the right amount of detail coupled with air, depth in stage and wide soundstage.
The article suggests the Dalby may be tightened. My weight does not offer this option. It rests snuggly, but not tightly, over the Walker spindle splayed over the record label. I was more than reluctant to shell out the cash...would not have been able to justify the retail price...but with the used discount, I have absolutely no regrets.

Reactions: CKKeung and bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I can certainly verify the efficacy on my Bergmann - very noticeable in a good way. Mid bass heft and speed / articulation.
It seems to be a good compliment to LT arm where the sound is a little light foot.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@bonzo. I do understand a side of you that lay out what works with what and what does not. But pls do not recommend these things to people. Your positioning is best to stick to recommending suggesting great value systems and gears counter balancing the way hi end market heading. Leave the silly fool egotistic audiophile like me do this kind of buying.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@bonzo. I do understand a side of you that lay out what works with what and what does not. But pls do not recommend these things to people. Your positioning is best to stick to recommending suggesting great value systems and gears counter balancing the way hi end market heading. Leave the silly fool egotistic audiophile like me do this kind of buying.

Sorry Tang. I really like the Dalby. The value guy in me wants to keep the Dalby I had. I am not trying to counter balance anything. Just that in high end, it is easy to counter balance the likes of some of these standard expensive box speakers etc very easily by trying something else. Some things don't get counter balanced.

Sammo

Oct 22, 2018
im a huge fan of dalby audio design having started with the vinyl stabiliser. I’m now the lucky owner of 2 of his ‘hiaraki’ equipment stands, his latest and greatest power centre and multiple power and interconnect cables plus other bits and pieces that I’ve picked up along the way. They are not cheap that’s for sure but if you want bespoke gear that’s at the cutting edge of design then Lee’s your man. I still want one of his latest vinyl stabilisers despite not owning a turntable as I think it’s a piece of art

Reactions: infinitely baffled

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,
Dalby is audio best kept secret is the USA.
I have been using Dalbys record weights for about 5 years now,I just got the Ebony
Pirueta about a month ago and it is totally incredible.
The stuff it does is what audio dreams are made of.
How it does it I do not know but I cant live without it.

Robert

108CY

May 4, 2013
Each Dalby clamp is different to my ears, having had at least 12 through my hands. I am not too keen on the last lightweight titanium one to be honest but am sure it will suit some turntables and its a nice looking thing. I like the constellation ltd edition I think 13 were made with the tungsten balls in between the base of the weight and the brass its a very grounded but has better nuance, air and dynamics than the original. The Lingnam vitae version is warmer than the ebony but remember no too are identical for a start none weigh the same.

108CY

May 4, 2013

The uk retail was around £4400 and the constellation £8000 plus vat. I have never heard of a constellation coming up used ,second hand priceing would be hard to judge I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I see that it was used with a Brinkman Balance. Does it have a screw down feature?

We have been using it on the Brinkmann for over a year. It is a must have. It is just placed on top but the top of the weight can be loosened or tightened from its base. My friend also has the stillpoint from before but isn't using it anymore. He has the Allnic phono as well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing