Zero distortion: linear trackers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Long article in the making with lots of system examples. Has taken good shape now. Will take some time to complete.

But will add some linear tracking videos at regular intervals, classical and rock.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Long article in the making with lots of system examples. Has taken good shape now. Will take some time to complete.

But will add some linear tracking videos at regular intervals, classical and rock.

To be honest this video sounds in many ways like my friend's Magico+Wadax+Top CH amps+3-400k cables except for pops and clicks. This is the first thing popped in my head hearing the first 20 seconds. I am only being frank and have no negative attitude of any kind. Listening blind would have guess it is his system trying to fool me with crackling plastic shrink.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be honest this video sounds in many ways like my friend's Magico+Wadax+Top CH amps+3-400k cables except for pops and clicks. This is the first thing popped in my head hearing the first 20 seconds. I am only being frank and have no negative attitude of any kind. Listening blind would have guess it is his system trying to fool me with crackling plastic shrink.

You already saw the pictures of the system in WhatsApp yesterday

Also there is a reason I didn't stop the video in 20 seconds or 2 mins and kept it on

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Great idea for a thread Bonzo. I've been asked if I am considering a linear tracking arm for my new table. I look forward to hearing more videos.

This first video sounds a bit flat to me. Great music and I like the detail and tone on leading edge and sustain, good body, but the decay and harmonics sound somewhat truncated to me, less than full resolution of the entire note. Perhaps it is a really dry acoustic setting or something, but there is no sense of presence or dimension or mass of the violin, or the space in which it is being played, unless it is in a damped booth. This is what I think of as detail but not resolution. Lacks a bit of life. I listen primarily for balance and information from videos. This lacks a bit of both, IMO. Hard to know why.

Do you have another recording on the same system? The only LT arm I have heard is on the Walker table. I liked it.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Very dry sounding...do you know if that is how the recording itself is or is that a consequence of the system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very dry sounding...do you know if that is how the recording itself is or is that a consequence of the system?

I loved the record and the video and the performance, andthe in person sound was quite enjoyable.

Yes the system is not sets and horn. In the WBF trend it is an unnatural system playing natural sound.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One more. Playing back on phone will lose depth of piano.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The gear of the system is not important, regardless of trends. But, I presume you are trying to demonstrate the quality of a LT arm. Can you tell us more about the arm in the videos, the cartridge and perhaps the table on which they are mounted? What qualities are you trying to convey from the video about the arm?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What qualities are you trying to convey from the video about the arm?

That will be in the write up. Too many videos so adding slowly. Just my assessment that big write up plus too many videos is too much at one go.

Of course, writing is to satisfy the appetite of the story teller so it doesn't matter, but I am just being considerate and adding some videos before hand

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That speaker will play with three different amps (each in different rooms) and with linear and pivoted tangential trackers.

Let's see how the videos go.

There will be others too

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I loved the record and the video and the performance, andthe in person sound was quite enjoyable.

Yes the system is not sets and horn. In the WBF trend it is an unnatural system playing natural sound.
I made no statements beyond the recording posted sounded dry without much acoustic space…the rest were questions…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I made no statements beyond the recording posted sounded dry without much acoustic space…the rest were questions…

I didn't find it dry.

Tang has the same recording. He can post it to see if wet through all valves.

This is one where the linear tracking table Holbo is less than 5k used, lowest model of Ikeda cart, and TAD 2402 look alike LALS from Taiwan playing on 300b.

I will also post the chaconne on harmonia mundi on this system. That way you get to compare two recordings in same system and the same record across two systems, so your query should be answered.

Across system one is high priced and one is low priced but there is definitely a lot of valve to this one to address the dry doubt

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I prefer the first video over the third one. It doesn’t sound dry to my ears. A good balance without being edgy or woody. Listening in the dark and using shakti hollographs are strong evidences that owner is a seasoned audiophile.

I also liked the second video. Piano sounds live and perfectly tuned. It’s not sharp on high notes and never become boxy.

The sound on third video is ok but I do prefer original exclusive (tad) 2402, 2401 or 3401. For jazz exclusive s5 which is better than all to my ears.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I prefer the first video over the third one. It doesn’t sound dry to my ears. A good balance without being edgy or woody. Listening in the dark and using shakti hollographs are strong evidences that owner is a seasoned audiophile.

I also liked the second video. Piano sounds live and perfectly tuned. It’s not sharp on high notes and never become boxy.

The sound on third video is ok but I do prefer original exclusive (tad) 2402, 2401 or 3401. For jazz exclusive s5 which is better than all to my ears.

Well, the third video is not competing with first one but gives a reference on what increased dynamic range, lower noise floor, and bass on first video can do. And to answer the dry wet query

I think your analysis on the Sonics is spot on. The third video though is very musical for a low budget TT/cart and speaker fittable into a normal living room.

The audiophile in the first video is very experienced with tweaks and room, he has set up his system for rock and amplified with centre imaging etc. We both enjoyed each other's music a lot he had not much exposure to classical and was completely taken aback by what was happening to the soundstage due to classical LPs and remarked he had never seen it changing so much from LP to LP as his LPs do not require the concert hall factor

His speaker was great for piano.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and mtemur

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I didn't find it dry.

Tang has the same recording. He can post it to see if wet through all valves.

This is one where the linear tracking table Holbo is less than 5k used, lowest model of Ikeda cart, and TAD 2402 look alike LALS from Taiwan playing on 300b.

I will also post the chaconne on harmonia mundi on this system. That way you get to compare two recordings in same system and the same record across two systems, so your query should be answered.

Across system one is high priced and one is low priced but there is definitely a lot of valve to this one to address the dry doubt

This is the chaconne from harmonia mundi

Reactions: Rensselaer

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well, the third video is not competing with first one but gives a reference on what increased dynamic range, lower noise floor, and bass on first video can do. And to answer the dry wet query

I think your analysis on the Sonics is spot on. The third video though is very musical for a low budget TT/cart and speaker fittable into a normal living room.

The audiophile in the first video is very experienced with tweaks and room, he has set up his system for rock and amplified with centre imaging etc. We both enjoyed each other's music a lot he had not much exposure to classical and was completely taken aback by what was happening to the soundstage due to classical LPs and remarked he had never seen it changing so much from LP to LP as his LPs do not require the concert hall factor

His speaker was great for piano.
This is the guy in Denmark ?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is the guy in Denmark ?

Yes... Both of them.

When Lagonda found out I was visiting Denmark he broke his IO, and went off to visit friends

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes... Both of them.

When Lagonda found out I was visiting Denmark he broke his IO, and went off to visit friends
Ha Ha, :p my Io actually broke i while ago Ked, i have just been too disgusted with its reliability to do anything about it yet. And yes i went to Sweden to get away from you, and your comparative listening sessions !;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ha Ha, :p my Io actually broke i while ago Ked, i have just been too disgusted with its reliability to do anything about it yet. And yes i went to Sweden to get away from you, and your comparative listening sessions !;)

Please find the MBL owner in Sweden with 40,000 records and Vyger

Reactions: Solypsa and Lagonda

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
@bonzo75 can you state which recordings we are listening to?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing