Zero Distortion: Tango Time

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Sawasdee Wisnon,

Lost a lot of money this past week. Kind of disrupting the mood to spend. You know what I am talking about. Anyhow, This GMT One has the most mumbo jumbo marketing I ever read. I hope it does not come with a radiation. Wonder which agency does marketing for them.

Tang :)
LoL

U never disappoint Mr Tang!
W-Benesch is a venerable UK company: http://wilson-benesch.com/analogue-collection/
Masters of the Carbon Fibre arm. Their arms are fantastic and their material science tech is also fantastic. The basic ACT 0.5 arm at $1K used is acclaimed to be better than the SME V.

The Nanotube arm is $3500 retail. You get 3 special edition ones with the GMT 1.

Could be a top of the food chain entry. Wonder how it fares against the general Lumen White Mystere TT?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sawasdee Wisnon,

Lost a lot of money this past week. Kind of disrupting the mood to spend. You know what I am talking about. Anyhow, This GMT One has the most mumbo jumbo marketing I ever read. I hope it does not come with a radiation. Wonder which agency does marketing for them.

Tang :)

It should be because you're too busy buying other things that are on sale...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Jeff,

You are a jazz person. Do you have a few Monty Alexander's on hand? This guy is good and his recordings are good. Listen to this system...no..listen to the music and the recording. The album is "So What?" The label is Black and Blue, a French pressing recorded in Geneva.

Edit: Talk about the system, this simple system sounds a lot better than a few million dollar systems I have heard. And it is digital :eek:.

Note all of the acoustic room treatments.:oops:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Pleasant but muffled, too.

In all fairness to this, sometimes the recordings sound a bit muffled. This one does. Btw I know none of my videos sound right... I've ordered 100ft speaker wire to be able to maybe lug a speaker out into another area to record interesting classical stuff to upload... My frustration is level like 1000% with how awful the videos sound.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

hey Brian,

got this album and i'm on side 2. it's on the Saskia/Durand Tosca/Etsuro Gold/dart phono. i think it loves the drive of the Saskia.

this is an amazing recording and great pressing. mine is #00153 for whatever that is worth. the energy and growl of every instrument on this album is extraordinary; but Mulligan's Baritone and Hamilton's tenor are just so full of life and tonal density, textural nuance and rightness of timbre. i am feeling both i am there, and they are here at the same time. just a reach out and touch it recording in my system.

many thanks for the tip. this is a great demo record!

update.....the 2 EMIA SUT's arrive Friday. tonight i installed an SUT shelf on the wall behind my rack opposite the CS Port phono. cable runs will be 18'-24" or so. my 68 year old body is now protesting all that twisting and bending in the wrong ways to get that shelf installed nice and solid to the wall, in the tight space. but it's done and nothing broken or torn.

shelf-1 (1 of 1).jpg shelf-2 (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bazelio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Mike,

How much space do you have between the back of your components and the wall?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

How much space do you have between the back of your components and the wall?

that shelf i installed is 6.5 inches wide. it's one of my shelves i removed from my CD shelves on the bottom row to store tapes. so it matches the wood of my room.

my room is oval shaped so the distance is variable, but right behind the rack with my CS Port phono and dart phono it's 18 inches to the most extended point of those round diffusers.. then the SUT will extend out to the edge of the added shelf; so cable length will need to be around 12" to 15" from phono to SUT (above i estimated 18" to 24" length.....i won't need that long). the shelf is 6 inches below the phono level, so there will be a slight additional length required. i wanted it out of the line of sight.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
hey Brian,

got this album and i'm on side 2. it's on the Saskia/Durand Tosca/Etsuro Gold/dart phono. i think it loves the drive of the Saskia.

this is an amazing recording and great pressing. mine is #00153 for whatever that is worth. the energy and growl of every instrument on this album is extraordinary; but Mulligan's Baritone and Hamilton's tenor are just so full of life and tonal density, textural nuance and rightness of timbre. i am feeling both i am there, and they are here at the same time. just a reach out and touch it recording in my system.

many thanks for the tip. this is a great demo record!

update.....the 2 EMIA SUT's arrive Friday. tonight i installed an SUT shelf on the wall behind my rack opposite the CS Port phono. cable runs will be 18'-24" or so. my 68 year old body is now protesting all that twisting and bending in the wrong ways to get that shelf installed nice and solid to the wall, in the tight space. but it's done and nothing broken or torn.

View attachment 62639 View attachment 62640
Great record. Glad you like it. Hope the Emia SUT works out too. Did you go with the silver? Dave is currently upgrading the RIAA in my Emia LR phono to silver inductors. Coming home soon.

Reactions: advanced101

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Great record. Glad you like it. Hope the Emia SUT works out too. Did you go with the silver? Dave is currently upgrading the RIAA in my Emia LR phono to silver inductors. Coming home soon.

congrats on the silver inductor upgrade (honestly i don't know what an inductor is:rolleyes:, i suppose it inducts.).

they shipped me 2 SUT's; a demo copper SUT and a demo silver SUT along with a short SUT to phono silver set of rca cables to try. excited to hear a performance boost and have an added phono channel to boot.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The inductor is the "L" in "LR Phono". :)

I think they use Jupiter silver wire in those RCA cables. You can improve there, but without a doubt you're going to get a good taste of these nickel core SUTs. Enjoy!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Work from home now. Bye bye my stereo until end of May.

82DA0D17-EE7B-47A1-8D09-0490D2FCCED1.jpeg

Here is first day.

8A1E62E7-6ED1-4F61-BF1D-3882F265B12D.jpeg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
An inductor is basically a coil , an aircore coil is a coil without core ( iron etc ).

stay safe everybody :)

Attachments

• inductor .jpg
    inductor .jpg
    93 KB · Views: 10

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

looks like it's the 'real' essentials now. stay safe and enjoy your family time.

best regards,

Mike

From where you are, You take real good care of yourself Mike. Stay safe.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing