Zingali Horn speakers - tweaking the crossovers & DIY

I am upgrading my Zingali crossover with better caps. They are Client Name Evo 1.2, a 2 way horn and bass driver speaker. I like them a lot. But in my setting (smallish room), it is getting a bit too
loaded in the bass. Also maybe over time, the treble has dropped in output. It may be the caps are old. The speakers are 15 years old, and the caps could be 20 years if left on the shelf before they were used.

I don't have a circuit diagram, and Zingali never answer my emails with questions so...

My ideal is get more transparency and speed, and attenuate the bass a bit. Maybe bring the mids up a bit. That is my plan. I will keep all the old parts just incaseI have to revert back.

I will work on the left speaker, and demo against the untouched right speaker, so I have a mean datum point.

I have bought some Mundorf Evo Silver Gold Oil 800v caps in 22uf and 1.5uf to match the values (1.65uF on rhe PCB, but can't match that value). And the smaller cap at 1.25uF I have bought a Clarity CMR as they have 1.2uF.

I think the black resistor stack bottom right is the attenuation on the horn? The high end comes out of the left 2 connections, the low end right side connections. The input is underneath the PCB.
I am biwiring my cables from a single amp to the 2 x pairs speaker input taps. Sounds better that way.

Here's my speakers. They are 12inch omniray horn, 12inch bass. 95dB efficient, crossover is 600hz! So the single horn does a wide range. They are rated to 500W amps, and do play super loud without stress.

I am unsure why there is 3 caps? Is it 22uF for the bass driver, and the smaller ones for the horn I wonder. No name caps not sure what make they are. Could be Sonicore (USA). But probably ok, nothing special.

I want a bit more sparkle on top if possible. I met the designer Guisseppi Zingali in Italy in 2018. His background is cinema speaker designs, and he used JBL units originally. Later models used B&C cones (Italy). I am not sure where the horns are made. He told me his designs are made to work well on both high end and low end systems, and tunes them to allow that. Maybe avoid too many high frequency peaks? None of his designs use a tweeter except the biggest model. So he must think the horn can cover the required range without.
I am guessing the horn is about 10dB more efficient than the 12 inch bass driver. So about 104dB. The speakers can play on low powered amps including 300B but likes more current such as the Aries Cerat Genus. It also plays well with SS amp.

The sound is very smooth, not shouty or forward like some horns, quite polite even. If I get a bit more sparkle with my tweaks, I will be happy.

Will report back.....

Best wishes
Julian zingers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Interesting. What benefit would you expect from a better Inductor, if we assume it isn't vibrating or loose. The inductor is 1mm copper wire, none potted and air core. I was looking at the Mundorf copper ribbon type with air core.

Robh3606

Aug 25, 2010
Destiny
Interesting. What benefit would you expect from a better Inductor, if we assume it isn't vibrating or loose. The inductor is 1mm copper wire, none potted and air core. I was looking at the Mundorf copper ribbon type with air core.

Watch the DCR values as a significant change can effect the crossover or driver level enough to be audible. I wouldn't change it unless you understand what the impact would be. It's wire not a whole hell of a lot can happen to it.

Rob :)

Thanks Rob. Yes if I do it, I would measure the direct series resistance which is ESR?
Just need to cut the ends and measure it. I need a new meter to measure inductance.

I read the copper ribbon inductors sound better, and the air core of an inductor can be good or badly implemented as vibration can affect the sound adversely. Mundorf upgrades are not to expensive, about 200 USD for both sides. Could be worth a try?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks Rob. Yes if I do it, I would measure the direct series resistance which is ESR?
Just need to cut the ends and measure it. I need a new meter to measure inductance.

I read the copper ribbon inductors sound better, and the air core of an inductor can be good or badly implemented as vibration can affect the sound adversely. Mundorf upgrades are not to expensive, about 200 USD for both sides. Could be worth a try?
I have found foil inductors allow better definition in the bass but care with crossover point shift could be an issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing