Zu loudspeakers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Luckily the Atmaspheres didn't blow the Definitions 2 in 2008 at my demo. Otherwise I'd have had to get out the fire extinguisher rather than my chequebook.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
Hi SETDrugs,
Congrats on finding your bliss! I am not too familiar with Thomas Mayer gear. I have only read about it on this site, in Bonzo's blog thread, but I have not experienced it.

How did you end up hearing about it and selecting it? What else did you hear and how does it compare? Have you heard any Audion models, by any chance?

Thanks

P.S. Great to hear that you are all set for a long time.

Caesar,

My initial research was on the effects of transformers to the sound of our system when used as interstage and output in amps or preamps. Like most on WBF, I've been following Thomas's blogs for some time now and have always been super curious but never thought too much about it. But even then I knew that Thomas was somebody special when it came to knowledge of tubes and innovative SE circuits, getting the most out of some of best DHT tubes ever made.

I was only able to afford a somewhat hi-end system about 7 years ago when I got licensed and started working full-time. I started off with Decware Zen amp , CSP3 preamp and their 2-way monitor. Having no reference , I thought it sounded pretty good at the time. As I gained more knowledge and started to attend some shows over next few years I realized that there is way more to the hobby then Decware which I was consumed with at the time. My friend would always tell me this.

My first major change during this period of curiosity was to trial the Soul Supreme from Zu after getting a great offer from Sean and getting a favorable recommendation from one of my audio buddy friend whom I respected due to similar taste. Long story short, not only was the trial period not needed but I was amazed from the start and have been thoroughly enjoying this speaker over the last few years and it has remained the foundation in my system throughout the next few turbulent years.

Being the somewhat perfectionist ( at the time), I knew that my system had to change. It would cost a lot more but I was going to do it. During the time of curiosity with transformer coupling, I ordered a pretty decked out integrated 46 amp from a US builder whom I won't name to protect his reputation. It was his highest model of this particular design but this amp was cap coupled. I was blown away. It was hands down the best SET amp I had heard to date. However, right off the bat I noticed that it wasn't tonally as balanced as I felt it could have been. I'm not sure if this was due to the design, parts choice or tubes used. Nevertheless I decided I would take a hit on this amp and sell it to fund my next system. After some careful thinking, I decided my next system would be all transformer coupled and decided to go all out with Thomas Mayer. Before ordering I concluded that Thomas was one of the preeminent practitioners of transformer coupling in the world if not the best.

Before getting my Mayer amp, I knew that I had to overhaul my digital front end. I was using the PS Audio DirectStream dac at the time but always felt something was missing. I had read great things about R2R dacs and NOS dacs with sound that rivaled some of the better analog systems out there. I also learned that a great digital system must have a great transport/source. I experimented with the Bridge 2 module for DS as well as the Ultrarendu . Although it was the best digital I had heard at the time I decided to overhaul everything nonetheless to start over with my Mayer amp. This was when I also learned of Euphony PTS server based on the great review from Headfi. Fast forward, my digital front end now consist of the Euphony PTS server ( powered by Uptone JS-2) and the Yggdrasil A2. Streaming Qobuz via Roon.

To summarize, my very first system was lower power SET and somewhat efficient speakers. I have not merged much from this path as the Zus are even more effcient. My power amp of course is Mayer 45/2a3 amp, modified to also be able to use the 46 tube. In my opinion, unless you're a rock head banger once you go high efficiency speakers and lower power SET, you'll never go back. I added the Mayer 10Y preamp last fall to my system and my system just reached that point where you know that everything just clicked, it was time to stop and just enjoy and appreciate the creativity , talent, and beauty of the artists. Having said all this, do I feel this is the best system or sound out there? No because this hobby like any of our senses is one of the most subjective in the world. Also, I have not heard or had the chance to hear some of the best amps, preamp, or speakers out there.

Like I said before, theres no point in trying to run around in circles trying to chase one's own tails. There is no point to compare any system to others, no matter how expensive or great a person may feel about their system. When you overlook through all the haze and fog, the essence of this hobby is about enjoyment, satisfaction, and having fun. Regardless of cost or level, if one has reached these feelings with their system I'd say that is an accomplishment in and of itself and should be applauded and treasured. Just sit back or recline back and enjoy all the culmination of those hard work and forget about everything like you said. Over the last few months, I can finally say that thats what I've basically done and looking forward to many more years of this.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
plenty of Atmas have blown up, too

Actually that's not true. Why would you say that?[/QUOT

uh, why would I lie? you can talk to Albert Porter for one and find out for yourself

I have no need to ask someone else to make good on your claims. I'm not spreading hearsay. If you're going to diss a brand or manufacturer, the responsibility is yours to support your claim. If you cannot or have no direct experience then this is wrong. It is too easy to casually damage the reputation of a brand and it devalues comments on this forum.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Tim, with all due respect these aren't crazy claims. Many tube amps have issues from time to time and Atma-Sphere is no different - I'd argue that OTLs in general seem to have more of them. This also comes from a very good friend of mine who worked with Futterman on the original circuit.

You're welcome to believe what you want, but I referenced a fairly respected audiophile in our community whom I've had the pleasure of getting to know over the years and trust his story.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Caesar,

Perfectly stated. I could not agree with you more about Zu and this hobby in general.
Just curious for myself and I'm sure others here, can you describe a little about your system. What Zu speaker are you running? What about the amp and preamp? Analog or digital front end? Thanks
Since you asked, Def4s with Audiopax Maggiore M100s, Zesto Leto Preamp and mainly analog front end. Like Marc I run a Trans-fi Salvation-Terminator. Airtight Supreme and Allnic H7000 Phono. I listen to music robustly, and like the dynamics, macro and micro. But I don't really care to get into jargon and descriptive phrases.
I've loved music since I sat in the school hallway waiting for the bus, late fifties with my transistor radio.
Now i get to love music cranking up the Zu's. All there is to it IMO.

Reactions: caesar and SETDrugs

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
There's a guy in US who is selling a 5 month old mint PureAudioProject (PAP) Trio 15 Horns because he just switched over to Zu Definition. Gave up after just 5 months. Just thought I'd post this news here since its interesting that some are very infatuated with open baffles and say they're the best.

I guess Sean must be doing something right at Zu after all. This just further proves that if you get a Zu speaker home and carefully set it up, more likely than not you'll be blown away. Like I said, dollar for dollar for the attributes that are most important to the music lovers, they have very little competition. :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Kevin, no competition here. Total engagement and musical immersion. Esp since I've sorted out pretty much the final bottleneck in my analog.

A decade on, and Zu STILL inspire me to keep listening, and they still suprise and delight.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dentdog, crank 'em up, calm them down. Listen on SETs, OTLs, SS, large room or small, analog or digital, they're just the most adaptable all-round spkr out there in a domestically-sized and real world-priced package.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
There's a guy in US who is selling a 5 month old mint PureAudioProject (PAP) Trio 15 Horns because he just switched over to Zu Definition. Gave up after just 5 months. Just thought I'd post this news here since its interesting that some are very infatuated with open baffles and say they're the best.

I guess Sean must be doing something right at Zu after all. This just further proves that if you get a Zu speaker home and carefully set it up, more likely than not you'll be blown away. Like I said, dollar for dollar for the attributes that are most important to the music lovers, they have very little competition. :cool:
Lol Setdrugs... one dude selling speakers and changing his opinion is hardly news in our hobby.. that said I have heard plenty of Zus and while I appreciate where they are coming from would not be so converted just because this is subjective and system to system, room to room there is so much going on with whether setups work and that there's a million reasons why we change what we have but little actually is guaranteed ultimately in what people will love and live with. The Harbeth 40.2s with SET are probably closer in spirit to your Zus than the pap horns and so they scratch my box itch (hmmm not sure about that last sentence but I digress). The truth is individual and in the eating and not the cooking.

The pap horns do things that I would never trade off... not for a million Zus but that means nothing beyond a personal preference. Truthfully I’m never sure why anyone wants everyone else to be convinced of what they have or are sold on. Respectfully the only really important thing is that you’re happy with what you have.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol Setdrugs... one dude selling speakers and changing his opinion is hardly news in our hobby..

We all know one dude who, if he sold his Zus would be big news in our hobby

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And one who would be even bigger news if he bought a tt.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The race is on and the challenge is SET... Marc you get up to two sets of speakers (Zu plus one) and I’ll get down to two...

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, absolutely, swapping PAPs for Zus means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme.

For me, I would only swap for something that would readily work w medium power SETs in my 800 sq ft/5000 cub ft room.

That crosses off challenging Rockports, Apogees etc.

That leaves box spkrs w true high efficiency, no sharp impedance dips below 8 Ohms.

Sooo...new Zu flagship due out soon, Bastanis, maybe the Voxativ 9.87. And of course, horns.

Azzolina Gran Sfera, Haigner GammaHorns, AG Trios, ACerat Symphonia.

I have my own personal reasons, linked to my choice of genres, personal taste in sound, and amp synergy issues, as to why I'm not necessarily a typical horns customer, despite them being the natural alternative to my Zus.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The race is on and the challenge is SET... Marc you get up to two sets of speakers (Zu plus one) and I’ll get down to two...
Well Tao, I do fancy running a 4.0 multichannel system...

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Horns are definitely not for everyone at all. There is much allure in a brief audition and for some the idea of horns is alluring in itself but whether they are actual viable horn listeners really is an issue of what you listen to. Night time, horns, SET, shiraz, jazz and classical or maybe some trippy RnB...perfecto!
But for daytime fare something in a juicy big red rosewood box is my go to happy place... and ribbons and panels perhaps are just then my lasting guilty pleasure.

Looking forward to you trading to your next pair Marc.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Lol Setdrugs... one dude selling speakers and changing his opinion is hardly news in our hobby.. that said I have heard plenty of Zus and while I appreciate where they are coming from would not be so converted just because this is subjective and system to system, room to room there is so much going on with whether setups work and that there's a million reasons why we change what we have but little actually is guaranteed ultimately in what people will love and live with. The Harbeth 40.2s with SET are probably closer in spirit to your Zus than the pap horns and so they scratch my box itch (hmmm not sure about that last sentence but I digress). The truth is individual and in the eating and not the cooking.

The pap horns do things that I would never trade off... not for a million Zus but that means nothing beyond a personal preference. Truthfully I’m never sure why anyone wants everyone else to be convinced of what they have or are sold on. Respectfully the only really important thing is that you’re happy with what you have.

Hey Tao, if you're a PAP Horn fan more power to you. Like I said, there is no speaker that will satisfy everyone all of the time. Go with your heart and what sounds best in your system.

I only brought up this singular case because I thought it was kind of interesting on the Zu thread. First of all, I'd think someone that invest 8k into PAP speakers only if they're very curious about PAP speakers or have had a great experience with open baffles in the past.

Considering that the Zu Definition if new are 2x the cost of his PAP Horns and giving up on them only 5 months in was a bit odd in this case. But of course I'm sure there are many cases of this around the world with other brands that go unnoticed because its not made public.

Either way, if I do switch speaker in the distant future it would be from Zu : next Soul Supreme or Druid mk6. For the qualities that matter most to me and the synergy I'm hearing in my system now, it'd be crazy foolish otherwise.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Chronic gear swapping syndrome has been one symptom of this hobby seemingly forever but with a challenging economic environment ahead quite likely I’m not sure that the approach of ‘buy to try’ is a sustainable option. I’ve known one guy who lost considerably more (in a few years of trading and swapping) than I have spent in my life and to the best of my knowledge is still not settled. I tend to avoid buying anything substantial (like a speaker) till I’ve tried getting in a longer audition (for at least a few weeks ideally) whenever possible.

I probably listened to Zu speakers half a dozen times in good home setups as these were on my radar when I bought my previous Maggie 3.7s as well.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, in over a decade, I've been 100% Zu, two models, current one heavilly modded.

Indeed, 7 years on from the introduction of the current TOTL Definitions 4 which I run, Sean STILL hasn't finalised it's successor. Makes a change from those high end spkr companies that would be well on the way to a third revision in the same time.

For me, the core Zu DNA sound remains as convincing as it did on Day One in 2008, but I've wrangled a really open and delicate sound too, which was always the big challenge.

Now microdynamics are just as impressive as macrodynamics.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’m probably along the lines that you are in terms of making change carefully as I don’t like making backward steps and when you are already happy the risks become greater with change.

Especially if you can’t afford to take the hit financially with bigger gear purchases... and then most any component change is a big one these days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing