Zu loudspeakers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, at the level I'm currently enjoying, I'd have to put serious investment in alternatives to get not just incremental uptick, but a proper upgrade.

That would mean $25k on a GP Parabolica or Technics SP-1000 w commensurate arm, $35k on an SGM Evo and Aqua Formula, $35-45k on TMayer 10Y and 211 amps, and $50-100k on any number of interesting horns.

Not gonna happen.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
Chronic gear swapping syndrome has been one symptom of this hobby seemingly forever but with a challenging economic environment ahead quite likely I’m not sure that the approach of ‘buy to try’ is a sustainable option. I’ve known one guy who lost considerably more (in a few years of trading and swapping) than I have spent in my life and to the best of my knowledge is still not settled. I tend to avoid buying anything substantial (like a speaker) till I’ve tried getting in a longer audition (for at least a few weeks ideally) whenever possible.

I probably listened to Zu speakers half a dozen times in good home setups as these were on my radar when I bought my previous Maggie 3.7s as well.

Tao, I totally agree about the trend for merry-go-round gear changes in this hobby and the potential for massive losses. Although I've been able to recoup good value for most of my audio purchases, over the years they all add up so I haven't been immune to this.

This (fear of losing anymore money) was probably the biggest motivation for me to go all out with Thomas Mayer, something that I can invest in for life without any worry or headaches of ever replacing. The other thing which I'm proud to share on this thread of course is that my Zu Soul Supreme since its arrival in early 2015 has been the one constant and foundation of my ever changing system so Zu has been a great investment as well.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I’d be very much loving some Thomas Meyer amps and pre myself... a nice investment in long term appreciation.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Sooo...new Zu flagship due out soon, Bastanis, maybe the Voxativ 9.87. And of course, horns.

Azzolina Gran Sfera, Haigner GammaHorns, AG Trios, ACerat Symphonia.

I have my own personal reasons, linked to my choice of genres, personal taste in sound, and amp synergy issues, as to why I'm not necessarily a typical horns customer, despite them being the natural alternative to my Zus.

Hi Marc

Isn't the Zu flagship due out soon for years? :rolleyes:

Have you heard all those horn Speakers you mention that I bolded?

You don't mention my beloved hORNS Universums.
I could easily imagine the Universums making wonderful Music in your lovely listening space

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Marc

Isn't the Zu flagship due out soon for years? :rolleyes:

Have you heard all those horn Speakers you mention that I bolded?

You don't mention my beloved hORNS Universums.
I could easily imagine the Universums making wonderful Music in your lovely listening space

It's very difficult for him to mention something that I like or he has heard

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christoph, if I moved to a new spkr, downfiring bass is out. Alas, no Universums. Personally, I believe they're overpriced for what you get. And Shakti dispensing w them before they're even warm out of the box speaks volumes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Christoph, I take it as a massive plus Sean doesn't update models every other day, draining one's bank account all the time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Horns are definitely not for everyone at all. There is much allure in a brief audition and for some the idea of horns is alluring in itself but whether they are actual viable horn listeners really is an issue of what you listen to. Night time, horns, SET, shiraz, jazz and classical or maybe some trippy RnB...perfecto!
But for daytime fare something in a juicy big red rosewood box is my go to happy place... and ribbons and panels perhaps are just then my lasting guilty pleasure.

Hi Tao

I'm absolutely with you when it comes to diversity.
I love my horn speakers and also my Apogees and Acoustats

Only in two parts I digress from your view:

My horns are absolutely good for every day music pleasure.
No need to limit myself to a certain Music genre nor is adding liquid pleasure neccessary to enjoy my horn Speakers
Don't get me wrong, I love liquid pleasure but it is not neccessary to enjoy horn Speakers ;)

No Need for cone-domes for me :rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
And Christoph, I take it as a massive plus Sean doesn't update models every other day, draining one's bank account all the time.
There is a huge difference between a long product life cycle and vaporware :rolleyes:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Christoph, completely get where you come from... I just love the way that horns deliver so effortlessly like the breeze.

Mine are open baffle so I can play any acoustic music effortlessly even a grand piano with a kind of reality that alludes most every other speaker.

My addiction to Harbeths at day times is more about that I can enjoy and engage in the music while also attending to the routines and work of the every day. Both the Maggies and the Pap horns absorb me and I get little else done. Fine for Tang (I am jealous completely Tang) but I am also but a humble scholar with a good dollop of attention deficit order who finds no difficulty at all in just enjoying being lost complete in the music... so mixing it up with box n cone and doing work and listening to tunes without being seduced utterly is a survival strategy as well as a handy thing.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Alas, no Universums. Personally, I believe they're overpriced for what you get. And Shakti dispensing w them before they're even warm out of the box speaks volumes.

The Universums are overpriced? Compared to what? Cessaro, Acapella and Avantgarde are extremely more expensive :rolleyes:
I think the Universums have an excellent Price-Performance-Ratio :cool:

No offence to Jürgen/Shakti but if you take a closer look to his regular turnover in gear, he kept the Universums for quite a long time for his personal rate :eek:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Christoph, I'm not here to slight the Universums. I've heard them twice at shows, and struggled to find the love.

I believe they retail for close to £30k in UK (please Ked, no reply that I can barter them down, or find a pair for much less than this). The new Zu flagships will cost something similar, so at least there's a choice. Out of affordability at present.

Re genres on horns, I've spent 4-5 years w regular exposure to AG Duos on tubes, and top class digital front end, and my feelings are stronger than ever that horns thrive on well recorded and mastered acoustic music, some electronica, but can be borderline unlistenable with a lot of the prog and fusion that makes up my library. Hey, I'm repeating myself on comments like these, suffice to say I was v tempted by horns just a couple of years ago, not any more.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc, you know what I think of show demos, especially where it is accepted they were sounding shit at 2014 and 2015 shows. All of us... Christoph, Brad, I, loved them at Munich 2016, best room after western electric, with Anima that year, though very different. I also remember I asked you to visit that room that year and you didn't.

You are comparing price to Zus, not to Cessaro hybrids, AG hybrids, Acapella hybrids, over which I would buy cones like Wilson, or much cheaper and better, apogee or stats.

Universum, Anima, trios are all good, depending on choice of music and preference. The new hybrid from the horns universum guy for me is better than other hybrids.

His horns have been used by almost all DIY guys for years before he went commercial with his own horns. DIY guys on the UK forums, silvercore, the Berlin DIY horn that I love, all use horns made by him. Unfortunately his English is not strong nor does he understand marketing like the Americans.

That said, I don't expect you to like them so that's fine.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Love the autotech stuff, think it would be good to explore a bit of diy speaker design with their horns as it keeps me off the streets and doesn’t cost mega-dollars. I’ll first get probably some more 15 inch neodymium woofers as well and try and build an isobaric horn friendly sub to push the hz just another few hz down. I’m not chasing too much extension for the horns... if they are at 30hz easy atm even just early to mid twenties would pull it together for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .I’ll first get probably some more 15 inch neodymium woofers as well and try and build an isobaric horn friendly sub to push the hz just another few hz down. . . .

Sounds good!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I hope it will Ron... might be easier to go with some RELs but a mate looked at me like I needed a challenge. Thinking of keeping it relatively simple and hopefully coherent.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, no need to be so down, we've finally agreed the room is king, yes?

If we're talking preferences, you loved the Animas on Traformatic at Munich in 2016. IMHO, the moment they started playing AC/DC, I couldn't wait to get out of the room.

Horns and challenging material.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, no need to be so down, we've finally agreed the room is king, yes?

If we're talking preferences, you loved the Animas on Traformatic at Munich in 2016. IMHO, the moment they started playing AC/DC, I couldn't wait to get out of the room.

Horns and challenging material.

I can't help you help yourself

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don't be so condescending!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing