200 hours

What is it about this seemingly magical number of burn-in hours that seems to be the breaking point for 99% of new gear out there? Its the #1 answer for everything from cables to amps to sources to speakers.

"breaking point" or maybe Turning Point. It would be interesting if 99% of new gear broke at 200 hours.
zz.

"breaking point" or maybe Turning Point. It would be interesting if 99% of new gear broke at 200 hours.
zz.

Good catch. Should have been "break-in point". I guess I'm still not over the flu after all.

I suppose some turntables fit in the 1% category. Most, if not all, have a break-in time for their bearings and motors, but decent speed controllers compensate for all that.

I will be 45 this year. Breaking in is an understatement that continues everyday.

Equipment break/burn in?

(think I'll slide out now for my own good).

Tom

while I am a big believer 'burn-in' with cables, and 'burn-in' in general with any sort of audio electronics in a high resolution system, I think the seeming consistency of 200 hours to 'audio nirvana' has to do with what is commonly known as 'settling time'. which is a time period that systems take to relax and settle into their equilibrium state after they have been disturbed. there seems to be an ease and lessening of a degree of confusion at about that point. I think you have 'burn-in' and 'settling' together sometimes.

I'm sure there is an element of listener relaxation and connection too after they get over any change and the distraction of it. but it's more than 'just' listener adaption.

quick A/B's pass by this settling effect, and mostly any sort of testing too. but it's part of the whole of what we hear.

as my system matures it seems that this effect is more clearly recognized.

The magic number used to be 100 hours. It appears some cables and components stand out and changed the curve somehow. I noticed OCC cables and components with Teflon caps (and/or Silk) have moved the burn in time.

The casting process :) Just guessing though. Typical stranded and even solid core copper take a 100 or less in my experience. I've never had plated cables, at least I don't think so.

If you can't hear 100% of what you are after in the first 1 hour, then save yourself 199 hours and enjoy some awesome music.

I have often wondered, is 200 hours of break in for the component or for your brain/ear to come round.

If it sucks in the first hour it will only suck less after 200 but it will still suck. If it "sounds good but……", then I like Dallas' suggestion. Listen to music you like enough that you can listen through the minor irritants of unsettled gear/accessories.

From Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata;

"All power cords, no matter which brand or type require about the same amount of time to burn in. We burn in power cords using a fan as a load and run it for 5-7 days of continuous current 24/7. During this period of time the cable will go through dramatic changes in sonic character. So judging the sound quality of a cord during the burn in period will not give you an accurate assessment of the sound quality of the cord.

The cable will continue to improve after the initial 5-7 days burn in and will completely stabilize around the third to fourth week on normal use.

Some people have reported that they did not notice any burn in effects with their power cord. This either means that the the person is not a careful listener or that their system or room acoustics need some work or that the quality of the power cord is not sufficient to hear burn in effects."

Some people have reported that they did not notice any burn in effects with their power cord. This either means that the the person is not a careful listener or that their system or room acoustics need some work or that the quality of the power cord is not sufficient to hear burn in effects."

You're kidding right?

You're kidding right?

That's a direct quote from Caelin Gabriel. You may have heard of him, he's the guy who runs Shunyata Research. You can take it up with him.

If you realise the emperor is naked then we'll blame your eyesight ,,,,

First, I am not an emperor and was not born with a silver spoon either so you can stuff that crap.

My opinion is based upon years of cable testing with literally thousands of cables in a variety of systems.

That's a direct quote from Caelin Gabriel. You may have heard of him, he's the guy who runs Shunyata Research. You can take it up with him.

Yes I'm aware of who Caelin Gabriel is and I have a lot of respect for him, as I do all designers and manufacturers. I just found the last sentence to sound a bit harsh and more along the lines of marketing speak. I'm ageing and my hearing is certainly declining, so I may not be the best person to even comment, but I will anyway. I can notice differences between cables when I employ them right way (might be anticipation bias), but also within a few weeks. I have never noticed any change in long-term (100hrs/200hrs) burn-in. There maybe proven measurements that say otherwise, but I can't hear them, so I remain somewhat skeptical in that regard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing