Antipodes Audio - Updated Range and Upgrade Program - July 2023

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Looking at the processing diagrams of Oladra vs K50 we see that with Oladra I2S, AES and SPDIF have one additional reclocking step in comparison to USB, so it can be argued that these outputs might be sounding even better than USB.
Listening impressions with Oladra G4 seem to confirm this.

Matt

Last edited:

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
I have been living with the update Kala K50 for a few weeks. The upgrade has brought a more musical sound to my room. I call it ‘internal dynamics’. The colors the musicians make are more dynamic, more vibrant.

My default setup has been to use ROON server and Squeeze player via AES/EBU. With the upgrade, I am now listening without Squeeze and via a Tubulus Concentus USB. It sounds fantastic and allows native transmission avoiding the limitations that both Squeeze and AES bring.

I have only heard an Oladra in Munich so cannot make any comparisons.

For me, the upgrade has been a slam dunk.

Last edited:

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
I just got my Oladra upgraded to MK2 today but it’s strange that there’s a new ground screw added near the power IEC socket so I couldn’t plug my PC into the socket. Is there any way to do that? Please see attached picture and advise. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.jpeg
    IMG_6047.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 24

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
I just got my Oladra upgraded to MK2 today but it’s strange that there’s a new ground screw added near the power IEC socket so I couldn’t plug my PC into the socket. Is there any way to do that? Please see attached picture and advise. Thanks.
Can you not simply remove the screw?

Matt

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Can you not simply remove the screw?

Matt
If I want to remove it I need to open the server and will avoid warranty. I am using a cheap/normal PC for the moment. With the ground srew installed we only use a cheap pc for Oladra and one more option is to buy a IEC jitter /adapter. Thank you

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
If I want to remove it I need to open the server and will avoid warranty. I am using a cheap/normal PC for the moment. With the ground srew installed we only use a cheap pc for Oladra and one more option is to buy a IEC jitter /adapter. Thank you
AFAIK, the ribbed golden part is a screw. You should be able to turn it counter-clockwise. IIUC, when you turned it enough you should be able to remove it, so no need to open the server.

Matt

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dbeau

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
@mathias Do you think the ground screw is a big improvement part of upgrade (golden part). If yes, we should keep it and find a way to connect our existing audio grade PC to server. Out of the box with cheap PC inserted Oladra still sounds as good as before upgrading. Need more time to burn it. Thanks

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Do you think the ground screw is a big improvement part of upgrade (golden part)

It's there only to allow a separate ground cable to be attached.

Reactions: gentcan

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@gentcan
All my devices are chassis earthed by 3x4sqmm PC and very low resistance to ground, so I see no need for additional ground screws and grounding devices.

Matt

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
All my devices are chassis earthed by 3x4sqmm PC and very low resistance to ground, so I see no need for additional ground screws and grounding devices
I know many how use Shunyata power cords can claim the same, and yet it seems all who've tried Altaira hear a significant upgrade. Seems that having a way to clean/filter the ground and also isolate grounds can provide additional benefits. I'm off topic with this post so to get back on topic I will just say that I don't know if Oladra's ground connection can provide additional benefits.

OLADRA

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2022
New Zealand
antipodes.audio
The grounding post is not user-removable, as it is secured from inside the OLADRA.
Either a different power chord, cutting down the binding post or returning to Antipodes for removal are the options

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
and yet it seems all who've tried Altaira hear a significant upgrade
"The ALTAIRA is a centralized grounding system that eliminates inter-component ground-loops while reducing ground-plane noise that is known to cause audible humming, buzzing and other undesirable distortions."

I have no inter-component ground-loops since chassis ground and signal ground are connected at one point only. Even with no attenuation and 99dB sensitivity speakers there is no audible humming etc.

So I would like to spend the money for Altaira on a new DAC :cool:

Sorry for OT @OLADRA :)

Matt

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Reactions: matthias

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have no inter-component ground-loops since chassis ground and signal ground are connected at one point only.
I will just toss out one more remark and then let things get back on track. I have no reason to not believe that what you said about your system also applies to mine and yet a Altaira is on my list of future upgrades. What has been said about it suggests that it brings the kind of improvements that I tend to favor the most. I got a little taste of what a ground box can do by purchasing a very affordable box from Quartz Audio. You could not pry that box from my dead fingers.

Having said that, I would prioritize server upgrades ahead of a box like the Altaira. Everything matters in this crazy hobby so the challenge is figuring out how best to apply limited dollars.

Reactions: matthias

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
The grounding post is not user-removable, as it is secured from inside the OLADRA.
Either a different power chord, cutting down the binding post or returning to Antipodes for removal are the options
This doesnt look like a particularly large cable by audiophile standards. I think you are going to have lots of this issue….

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
This doesnt look like a particularly large cable by audiophile standards. I think you are going to have lots of this issue….
I was able to connect my Shunyata Sigma V2 NR cable with no issues.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Nice. So maybe that is a BIG cable :) Oladra is on my radar and I have Shunyata, so that is great to hear

rspyder

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2021
Is there a WBF post comparing the original Oladra with the "upgraded" Oladra in terms of performance (i.e. sound)?

Thanks,

Ray

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Is there a WBF post comparing the original Oladra with the "upgraded" Oladra in terms of performance (i.e. sound)
I would look here (not WBF):

Matt

Reactions: kennyb123

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing