Avantagrde Trios with Basshorns

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is an impressive speaker system Apparenlty best in sho CES 2010. I am going to lit one video but there are many on You Tube.
Enjoy

I haven't heard an Avantgarde with the basshorns, but I have heard many Avantgarde systems including the Trios. I like them, but I have to say they are a bit of an acquired taste. They are not coloured, and in fact sound relatively neutral through the spectrum. Their greatest strength is the sheer dynamics - music goes from ppp to fff completely effortlessly. Nothing portrays dynamic swings like these. Everything you play on it sounds exciting to listen to. Unfortunately, that is also its drawback - everything seems larger than life. If you are a fan of pinpoint imaging and "realistic" soundstage, these are not the speakers for you. Listening to them is like being confronted with a huge wall of sound - it is an immersive experience unlike any other. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste!

Hi

Avant-Guardes Horns have taking an unfair rap for being unfocused and loud... like all horns, the are capable of prodigious, even dangerous SPL. In many shows they are played way too loud and since they are at ease doing it most people would complain about some tinnitus and that takes away the qualities of this speaker but when properly set-up they are beguiling, delicate and their level of dynamics is unmatched by non-horns. And yes,with appropriate distance from the speakers, read large rooms , they image extremely well. They were the very first to convince me that horns had arrived. As an aside Avant-Guarde had an active model, the Uno ... It was very good, don't know if it's current. Never Heard the basshorn, would have loved to.

I heard Cessaro Betas with their accompanying sub...the one thing i found they could not deliver the way cones do...is propulsive bass. Maybe it was the setup...but in the wide mix of music i enhoy...i also listen to deep house which has incredibly deep, propsulsive bass...the kind that hits you in the chest and makes your pant legs flap in the wind. I have not experienced this with panels or the one time i heard big horns.

I owned Avantgardes UNOs some years back, they were fine but always had a bass/horn speed compatibility problem - I even tried to get rid of the bass module and look for some other solution but an interested party just liked them as-they-were and bought them. I do not miss them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing