Best Dedicated Listening Room You've Ever Heard?

The best dedicated home music listening room and home theatre belongs to a very close friend of mine. The room was built for purpose about 10 years ago when his house was remodeled. The room is ENORMOUS; 30’ long, about 20’ wide, 12’ ceilings. It was built with acoustic treatments. Power is supplied by a huge isolation transformer. Over the past ten years equipment has changed but the current set-up is the best: CH Precision 4-box mono L1 pre-amp, CH Precision 4-box mono P1 phono, CH Precision M1.1 mono amps running active bi-amp, Rockport Arrakis, REL G1 six-pack subs, Total DAC mono DAC, Steve Dobbins The Beat SE turntable with Schroeder LT arm, Lyra Etna SL, all Nordost Odin-2 cables. The combination of the best room I’ve ever been in, plus the CH Precision/Rockport/Dobbins/Lyra/Nordost/TotalDAC combination makes for the best re-produced music I’ve ever heard. Truly is stunning. Oh yes, the set-up was done by Sterling Trayle. Stunning

Dealer's, distributor's, or Dedicated home rooms. Details would be nice.

Wouldn't the best dedicated listening room be the room where you experienced the greatest level of musicality? How could it be otherwise? Or to put it another way, what evidence exists that a room is the best if you're unable to hear the greatest level of musicality there?

Reactions: ddk
Winston Ma's listening room in his home near Seattle. The structure was custom designed and built by Winston. I was fortunate to be able to listen to Winston's system in the room several times during my visits to his home while I was writing my Decca book for his FIM company.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

Here is an article written about it from Positive Feedback back in 2002 by David Robinson.

Larry

Reactions: timztunz
Jack Duavit's room and Mike Lavigne's room are the best listening rooms I have ever "heard."

I'm just going to have make a trip to the Philippines to see what the fuss is all about:)

Reactions: goodsource
Harry Pearson's listen room in Sea Cliff was best sound I have heard both before and then after the fire.
Lyric's vault when I was allowed to set it up with only one speaker system in the room and of course MIne :)

I deliberately left the question wide open. I'm think that most people on this forum are able to judge the relative contribution of a room to the sound they hear and I'll leave it at that.

Is this question asking about simply the dedicated listening room or the combination of system and room for the best listening experience the visitor has had?

Stehno’s response suggests the latter.
Imo it still doesn’t matter.

Jim’s room and structure in which it is housed adjacent to his home is the most beautiful I’ve ever been in as well as designed acoustically correct, in Manila with the room so well enclosed that the temp varies no more than +/- 1 degree daily

speakers which were designed by Albert as a “one off”. So many beautiful arms and turntables and tape recorders.

I also agree with Ron that Jacks room is 2nd only to Jim’s. Having said that Jack now has Ultra 11’s and I’m betting hisroom comes darn close to brother Jim

so many great systems in the Philippines but brothers Jim and Jack take my vote

Awww shucks Steve and Ron. Thank you for your very kind words. Our rooms are the products of years of dreaming and detailed planning. We couldn't have done it without our dear friend Mike Pedero, composer, musician, recording engineer, acoustician extraordinaire who tours South East Asia lecturing for AES/EBU. Like any great system integrator, Mike tailored our rooms specifically for our individual needs. I wanted a Jazz Club feel and Jim wanted a Concert Hall. Mike made that possible. A system is only as good as the room it is placed in. He provided the foundation for what may now be thousands of hours of enjoyment for these two crazy brothers. As an acoustician myself I knew what challenges lay ahead and given Mike's track record with our sound stage, recording and post production suites as well as his success in live sound venues and places of Worship, he could do what I know I would have spent perhaps years "trying" to achieve with no guarantee of success. He came with a Warranty of sorts too! LOL His dedication and willingness to come back to make alterations for nothing more than the cost of materials and labor for his crew of builders was indeed the icing on the cake. So good alterations after the builds actually required very little of that. As in very little.

Mike and I had a lot of fun with the project since I wanted to explore what were then new materials and new architectural acoustic products. One of these sintered aluminium panels that had unique properties. They came in 2 or 3 mm thicknesses but had absorption coefficients closer to 8cm of fibreglass. It could also be cut with machine tools and also bent. We sent CAD drawings of the eCalme columns and clouds to their maker in Japan who modelled their properties for Mike to work around. Ultimately we came up with a room that not only fit the acoustic criteria but also fit the envisioned look of a 5 star member's only lounge instead of an atmosphere resembling a place for work. No mean feat considering this room was built underground in a concrete structure one could describe as a swimming pool in reverse.

To this day I am as grateful to Mike as I am Albert, Damon, Leif, Vladimir, Eunice, Marek, Didier, Florian, Thierry, Bob, Joe, Knut, Annett, Wolfgang and Nishikawa-san whose creations and exemplary support have allowed this music fanatic to enjoy the recordings I cherish and even some that I don't LOL Your comments are a validation that maybe, just maybe, Jim and I are at least a harmless kind of crazy :D

COVID is this year's reason for my delay into my entry into Tape but we'll get there. Pissed off that I can't even go to the bigger, better room to enjoy that but I miss my bro more than the tape playback.

Steve, Ron this was the year I was set to visit you in SoCal too. God willing, I'll get to you sooner rather than later. The Amigos will ride again!

Sorry for the photo bucket pics. That company has held my photos hostage now demanding almost 8 bucks a month for hosting. I am vacillating on whether or not to pay the ransom.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

I'm just going to have make a trip to the Philippines to see what the fuss is all about:)

I'll have a special bottle waiting for you my friend :)

Winston Ma's listening room in his home near Seattle. The structure was custom designed and built by Winston. I was fortunate to be able to listen to Winston's system in the room several times during my visits to his home while I was writing my Decca book for his FIM company.

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

Here is an article written about it from Positive Feedback back in 2002 by David Robinson.

Larry

I was in our provincial home for the first 50 days of quarantine attending to the needs of my constituents. Your mention of Winston brought a smile to my face. An LSA Statement amp (the one modded by John Tucker) kept me sane for those many, many long nights. I remembered that these were the same amps Winston used at one time with his Avalons. I gifted that amp to my Dad and he used it until the Lord took him back. Thanks Larry :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing