Call It a Midlife &??@%

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have been swamped trying to get my life in order. I am leaving this week for Hawaii to practice sailing techniques on a 42 foot catamaran. I will stay for a week. Then I return to prepare my family for my departing again for a month to sail from Hawaii to California. I have always been an avid boater. Never a sailor. Never an open ocean explorer. I am kind of excited. Kind of terrified. At least I feel ready to eat fish for 3 weeks or more. My wifes biggest concern, I return home with a sunburn and skin cancer. My dogs concern. Who is taking him for the 9 PM evening rabbit hunt. If I end up on a desert island, we have Starlink so I can stream my favorite tunes.
Rex

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Godspeed!

Reactions: Pokey77

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have been swamped trying to get my life in order. I am leaving this week for Hawaii to practice sailing techniques on a 42 foot catamaran. I will stay for a week. Then I return to prepare my family for my departing again for a month to sail from Hawaii to California. I have always been an avid boater. Never a sailor. Never an open ocean explorer. I am kind of excited. Kind of terrified. At least I feel ready to eat fish for 3 weeks or more. My wifes biggest concern, I return home with a sunburn and skin cancer. My dogs concern. Who is taking him for the 9 PM evening rabbit hunt. If I end up on a desert island, we have Starlink so I can stream my favorite tunes.
Rex
three years ago my son sailed from the Azores to the BVI's by way of the Cape Verde Islands, on a 42 foot cat, took 6 weeks. one of a crew of 5. he lives on his sailboat at Shilshoal Bay Marina. happy to connect you if you would like any download on his experience.

i recall he had a text tool and locator so we got pings that updated his progress and limited communications. he had a very interesting passage.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks Mike and Ron.
We will have 5 people on this inter island trip. It sounds like the passages between the islands can get intense. A good place to know if I will be able to handle 3 weeks on the seas. There is not getting off once your out. Well, actually, if you end up off the boat, it sounds like your not getting picked up and back on.
What I don't know is can I take my PLB on an Alaska flight. They do not call them out. They do talk about other lithium battery devices. I would like my personal beacon with me. If they take it, its $430 for a new one. That would make me quite mad. I will mail it for the big trip.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good Voyage Rex!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
bon voyage!

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Thanks Mike and Ron.
We will have 5 people on this inter island trip. It sounds like the passages between the islands can get intense. A good place to know if I will be able to handle 3 weeks on the seas. There is not getting off once your out. Well, actually, if you end up off the boat, it sounds like your not getting picked up and back on.
What I don't know is can I take my PLB on an Alaska flight. They do not call them out. They do talk about other lithium battery devices. I would like my personal beacon with me. If they take it, its $430 for a new one. That would make me quite mad. I will mail it for the big trip.
If you have something like a Spot locator or Garmin Inreach they won't take it from you. I took a Spot locator with me as carry-on to Canada this last June and I've done that for years.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
There will no doubt be a moment that you think, WTF am I doing here but, in the end it will be an experience you will be glad your did.

I have sailed 100 miles off shore in shipping lanes in sight of large vessels but never what you are going to do.

I'm assuming most of the others on the boat have this type of experience?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Never heard of type 2 fun before, Thanks.

I'm not sure that trip would be the one for me though.

A nephew less than half my age and I decided to try to ride our bikes up a mountain at a family reunion 10+ years ago on the first day of the get together.
I had the worst case of hemorrhoids of my life and swore I would never ride uphill again.
It didn't stop us from taking our bikes to the top on our car and coasting to the bottom a number of times. I added extra padding to the top of my seat though.

Always impressed with those that take long bike trips.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Were 2/3rd through a run from Honolulu to the big island.
Sun up at the Four Seasons.
If you have something like a Spot locator or Garmin Inreach they won't take it from you. I took a Spot locator with me as carry-on to Canada this last June and I've done that for years.
I asked at the airport. Everyone said it was fine.

Attachments

• 20230802_061059.jpg
    20230802_061059.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: brad225

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I had the worst case of hemorrhoids of my life and swore I would never ride uphill again.
It didn't stop us from taking our bikes to the top on our car and coasting to the bottom a number of times. I added extra padding to the top of my seat though.

Always impressed with those that take long bike trips.
Bike fit is really important as well as a saddle that actually fits you properly. Then there is the fitness issue- riding up a mountain may not be the best way to start out... FWIW yours is the first time I've heard of a bike having anything to do with hemorrhoids.

• Wow

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well, I did a round 1. Not sure if I am one and done at that or not. Being in big water is a real experience. The boat handled quite well. The captain is great. And a very good friend. We left from a bay outside Honolulu in the late afternoon. We did an all night crossing to Maui. Being an avid fisherman, my days on the water are just that. Days. This sailing was mostly at night. That is when the wind dies down. The wind between the islands gets quite intense. The second day we left Maui at 10:30 PM and headed out into the channel. We were quickly forced into the $#@+. wind was running 40 mph in the channel. We decided it was going to be to much so we turned around and went back to the bay outside Maui. That actually turned into a good thing. We had all day to snorkel the boat and hang on the beach. I can say I put my feet on Maui now. That night we tried again. Left at 10:30 and hit an amazing window of 20 to 22 mph wind. We had a perfect crossing from Maui to the big island. It was an all night ride. We hit the lee side of the island at sun up. Then lost all wind. We had to motor to port against a current. We only made 1.7 mph. Took us about 4.5 hours of engine time. I did drag a Wahu line but no fish rose.

While I really love boating. It is something to be ON a boat. There are no options when your sailing. Especially any distance. I had a great time but was happy to hit land. I am not sure I could handle 3 weeks of ON the boat. And who knows what your going to experience in the open ocean.

My friend (captain) spend 6 months in Tahiti. That seems quite different to me. Calm bays. Occasional ports to stop and provision. Short 6 to 10 hour crossings. Then a week to snorkel, scuba, spear fish, lounge on an island. I could do 3 weeks of that. Even more. But in the middle of the Pacific with no options but to tough it out. Not sure.

Rex

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Well, I did a round 1. Not sure if I am one and done at that or not. Being in big water is a real experience. The boat handled quite well. The captain is great. And a very good friend. We left from a bay outside Honolulu in the late afternoon. We did an all night crossing to Maui. Being an avid fisherman, my days on the water are just that. Days. This sailing was mostly at night. That is when the wind dies down. The wind between the islands gets quite intense. The second day we left Maui at 10:30 PM and headed out into the channel. We were quickly forced into the $#@+. wind was running 40 mph in the channel. We decided it was going to be to much so we turned around and went back to the bay outside Maui. That actually turned into a good thing. We had all day to snorkel the boat and hang on the beach. I can say I put my feet on Maui now. That night we tried again. Left at 10:30 and hit an amazing window of 20 to 22 mph wind. We had a perfect crossing from Maui to the big island. It was an all night ride. We hit the lee side of the island at sun up. Then lost all wind. We had to motor to port against a current. We only made 1.7 mph. Took us about 4.5 hours of engine time. I did drag a Wahu line but no fish rose.

While I really love boating. It is something to be ON a boat. There are no options when your sailing. Especially any distance. I had a great time but was happy to hit land. I am not sure I could handle 3 weeks of ON the boat. And who knows what your going to experience in the open ocean.

My friend (captain) spend 6 months in Tahiti. That seems quite different to me. Calm bays. Occasional ports to stop and provision. Short 6 to 10 hour crossings. Then a week to snorkel, scuba, spear fish, lounge on an island. I could do 3 weeks of that. Even more. But in the middle of the Pacific with no options but to tough it out. Not sure.

Rex
Hey Rex,
Thanks for sharing, I’m enjoying the read.

You forgot one ‘s’ though. You need a surfboard too, especially if you’re going to be in Tahiti!

Whatever you do, do it for the fun.

Regards, Warren

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You know what is sort of amazing. People will get out with a kit board and do the channels in 1 hour. They fly at 30 mph. The chase boats can't keep up.
My friend is more into scuba. He is a dive master and runs a dive company. He goes to be underwater. Not on top of the waves. The sail boat is a somewhat affordable way to travel to these destinations. Its a whole lot less expensive than a resort. Of course he did spend a quarter million to have the boat. But he should get a good amount back when he sells it.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Kingrex Quote
"Well, I did a round 1. Not sure if I am one and done at that or not. Being in big water is a real experience. The boat handled quite well. The captain is great. And a very good friend. We left from a bay outside Honolulu in the late afternoon. We did an all night crossing to Maui. Being an avid fisherman, my days on the water are just that. Days. This sailing was mostly at night. That is when the wind dies down. The wind between the islands gets quite intense. The second day we left Maui at 10:30 PM and headed out into the channel. We were quickly forced into the $#@+. wind was running 40 mph in the channel. We decided it was going to be to much so we turned around and went back to the bay outside Maui. That actually turned into a good thing. We had all day to snorkel the boat and hang on the beach".

I agree that heavy winds on a sailboat when you are mostly trying to relax is not much fun. Glad it turned into a new enjoyable experience.

I have always thought of the mid life classification this way. We have achieved an age in life that you have earned enough money and have enough free time that you can do things that create amazing experiences and memories.

My money is on you taking the longer trip. Short of honoring a spouses or dogs wishes.

I realize your didn't call it Midlife Crisis but, that always seems an panic mode as we age rather than a choice to do something amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing