Constant Power

(...) But when people talk of benign, or even beneficial THD, this is what I think of. This is why I don't consider it benign. This is why I don't like the sound of it.

Tim

Tim,
You should consider that the beneficial THD many people, such as me, are referring to are bellow what is usually considered the threshold of audibility when playing at normal levels. Just to quantify your statement, can you tell us what level of THD are you referring to? I think it would be important, as this thread is being contaminated by inadequate and misleading measurements of high THD.

Courtesy of diyaudio.com.

I regret that I can neither confirm, nor deny, that allegation.

But the silvery-looking piece of metal in the left foreground might be Lynn's cane. He was recovering from a bad fall and bravely hobbling all over the place.

I regret that I can neither confirm, nor deny, that allegation.

“ There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are things that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are things we do not know we don't know. ”

—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld
2/12/02

Hehe... :rolleyes:
Welcome, Duke :D

Tim,
You should consider that the beneficial THD many people, such as me, are referring to are bellow what is usually considered the threshold of audibility when playing at normal levels. Just to quantify your statement, can you tell us what level of THD are you referring to? I think it would be important, as this thread is being contaminated by inadequate and misleading measurements of high THD.

I have no numbers, Micro, I'm just of the impression (totally unscientific, probably bias-influenced) that most tube amps I've heard over the years have a characteristic sound that I like less and less as the recordings get denser. I have nothing to back it up, so let's call it a personal impression/opinion. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of tube amps that didn't have this sound at all. In that case I didn't see the point in the money, the maintenance, the reliability problems inherent in that technology. YMMV.

Your statement is a curious one, though. If the benefit is below the threshold of audibility, what part of your listening experience benefits?

Tim

Let's clarify this a bit. What you are saying is this, "I, Ralph Karsten, claim that someone who happened to work at GE in the 1950s made a claim during that time period about the relative audibility of even- vs odd-ordered harmonic distortion components. I won't tell you the name of that person, nor give you a reference to the article. I will, however, state that this claim is attributable to GE as a whole, rather than the unspecified person who wrote the unspecified article, and that the claim can be considered as gospel truth, and applies once and for all time. Trust me."

Nope- didn't say that at all. What I am saying is that GE did a study in the 1960s wherein they found that people would tolerate a large amount of 2nd order- up to 30%, but would not tolerated a 'small' amount of odd orders- 0.5% was highly objectionable. I read that in a book, FWIW, a long time ago and don't recall which one and there are a lot of books. GE does not appear to have published the study online. However I can provide a simple procedure that shows a lot of that this is about- its not hard- simple test equipment can be used for the demonstration.

Ralph-You need to go back and reread what you said and I will summarize it as follows:

1. If a speaker requires an amplifier that uses negative feedback to sound its best, it's a flawed speaker design and will never sound real.
2. If an amplifier uses negative feedback, it is a flawed design.

I don't like the effects of negative feedback. It makes whatever is using it to sound brighter than the original signal (if two circuits have the same bandwidth, the one with negative feedback will sound brighter). But to be clear, I think that is more of a flawed approach rather than flawed designs. The reason for this is that the designer had a goal, and if they were successful with that goal, then design isn't be flawed, even though the overall approach is. And the Power Paradigm is flawed too- its tricky to get flat frequency response out of the speaker (but if what I see in the measurements is real, than the same can be said of the Voltage Paradigm too- flat loudspeaker response simply does not exist at all).

The main issue here is that the ear/brain system translates distortion to tonality. And it will favor that over actual frequency response. The Voltage Paradigm for the most part has you stuck with brightness and harshness as a coloration, the Power Paradigm allows you some flexibility.

Here is the “thing”: I’m sure that the Atma-Sphere amps when used with speakers that have complimentary impedance curves (two wrongs make a right?) will sound good. I think what some people take exception to is the attitude that only Atma-Sphere amps get it “right” and all other amps be they SS or tube amps with transformers are “wrong” if they use negative feedback. Pack that onto the statement that any speaker that won’t sing with the Atma-Sphere amps (or amps that don’t use any negative feedback) are speakers that will never sound like “real” music.

A person does not have to use our amps. But you are right, I do personally think my amps are better if not the best :) but FWIW its my opinion that a designer should want his/her project to perform as best it possibly can. So many designers are likely to say that they make the 'best'. But let's leave the 'what's best?' conversation out of this thread for now...

And I really agree with that last statement- restated in this way: ' Pack that onto the statement that any speaker that won’t sing with amps that don’t use any negative feedback are speakers that will never sound like “real” music'.

And then you couple the above beliefs with the thought process that has been stated and/or implied that people who don’t “get” what Ralph is saying and believe what he is saying is true are stuck in a false paradigm. If we want to have an amplifier that sounds like “real” music, we all need to have Class A OTL amps that use triodes, no negative feedback, lots of second harmonic distortion, very low dampening factor, and have a high output impedance (although Ralph likes to refer to his output impedance as “moderate”). That is a lot of Kool-Aid to swallow.

"people who don’t “get” what Ralph is saying and believe what he is saying is true are stuck in a paradigm" seems more correct to me.

Actually I am not a fan of lots of 2nd harmonic. And our amps really don't have any on account of their being fully differential- the 2nd is cancelled out at each stage in the amp. So this is a case where the topology can be used to control the distortion signature- we tend to get mostly the 3rd harmonic, and do as much as we can to keep it down, as we do with the output impedance. Is that a Kool-Aid? Dunno. It is certainly an attempt to keep known-distortion sources (pentodes, transistors, transformers) to a minimum, in order to reduce distortion. Some designers don't worry about distortion (SETs are typically 10% at full power, our amps are closer to 1%).

I will be at RMAF in October and I plan on visiting every room that is using Atma-Sphere amps so I can hear the amps with different speakers and form my own opinions. It will be interesting to see what speakers are going to be used with Atma-Sphere amps.

Make sure you introduce yourself! There will be two rooms to the best of my knowledge.

Confidence becomes hubris.

Agreed!

If you are serious digital/SS guy on a high-end forum you get this sort of thing all the time from the valve/vinyl crowd. You get used to it. Ralph came in and applied exactly the same argument, which goes something like "I don't have the data to back it up, in fact the data is not in my corner, but my approach is more like real music than yours," and he applied it very narrowly. He pushed most of the inner circle out into the cold and unmusical, and left a very small elite. The old elite won't suffer their banishment gladly.

FWIW I have said nothing of the sort... I would not even characterize the above statement as paraphrasing. Its simply outright wrong. There is plenty of data in my corner, some presented here, some of it historic, which I have presented (follow the links and references). I have pointed out that many will regard my position as blasphemous and will tend to discount the data as it threatens their world view.

Applying exactly the same systematic, hard-wired, unalterable signal processing to everything from crude early Charlie Parker recordings to modern digital studio recordings, and expecting it to have the universal effect of bringing the listener closer to real music is not even rational, much less correct. You may love the way it sounds, but correct is certainly not a word I'd apply. I don't doubt this stuff can sound really good, I'd just like to see one of you admit, just once, that what you're doing is altering the recordings to taste, not bringing them closer to "real music," or some other euphemism for the signal integrity you cannot claim. And I think if all that energy and passion was going into developing great signal processing tools that could be adjusted to recordings and rooms, it would do a lot more good.

Tim

I agree. I prefer to go without signal processing of any sort.

This topic comes up surprisingly often, and you will find components that adhere to this so-called "power paradigm."

But to answer your question about how many are designed for CONSTANT VOLTAGE, the answer is: almost all. The reason I know this has to do with speaker measurements and how they're done. The standard is to applied a CONSTANT 2.83V across the frequency band, and with that the speaker comes out as flat as its intended to. In other words, it's made for a constant voltage. Although I'm sure they exist somewhere, I've personally never seen a speaker designed for constant power.

I first encountered this issue with an Orpheus Labs amp I reviewed VERY long ago -- it was a solid-state "constant power" amplifier. It had a special circuit so that its power remained the same regardless of load.

Doug Schneider
www.soundstage.com

Doug, you have been in my rooms a number of times over the years and shows. So you have seen some Power Paradigm loudspeakers because I tend to show with them- it gets better results. I have been doing this a long time- before Marc reveiwed the old MA-1 on your site years ago.

Another anti-two channel rant brought to you by Tom. If everyone felt the way you do Tom about how deficient two channel stereo sounds, it would have died out a long time ago. We would all be stuck with some sort of multi-channel sound. The majority of people on this forum have high-end two channel systems and love the illusion their systems and rooms provide. Your constant beating on the stereo illusion with both the statements you make in your posts and your tag line that is on everyone of your posts hasn't swayed anyone that their stereo doesn't sound as good as they think it does.

mep, you and I are on the same page in this regard. I might add further that I am involved in the local music scene here in the Twin Cities. Every band that makes a recording in this town does it on a two-channel format. Two channel is here to stay for a long time.

Fransisco-Go back and read what Ralph said about the bad tubes and the way Bascom King took the measurements. I *believe* that Ralph said the reason the MA-1 didn't meet the specified power output was because of the defective tubes and the way Bascom set the variac. Ralph went on to say in another post that his newer amps have 90% less distortion than the MA-1 did which means that his current amps should measure 1% THD.

Correct. From the readings it also appears that Bascomb had a test instrument connected to the output terminals of the amp that shorted one of the speaker terminals to ground. The output section floats relative to ground (ala ARC, Classe and others); if one side is shorted the distortion will go up dramatically and output power will be reduced as the resulting drive to the power tubes becomes assymettrical.

Ralph has touched on it........a bit. in this discussion this thread, the amplitude changes are significant enough already without analyzing output spectrum even though it also behaves differntly feedback vs non feedback. there is no magic here in the world of electronics. the magic is in the ear/brain interface.

a SET amp is quite something, we got dynamic gain with frequency and dynamic harmonic spray, and it helps plain old stereo sound more alive (IMO), and that aint no jive! but if there are only a few instruments playing, say jazz or simple rock, OK, however if playing full orchestra...faagettt it, IMD gets crazy bad, sound goes to mudd.

For the most part I heartily agree- except that it should be noted that if you plan to use an SET, the speaker efficiency should be such that the amplifier will not be asked to use more than about 20-25% of full power. This will keep the distortion so low most of the time that it can't be measured. But when it does appear, it will appear on the peak transients. So odd-ordered harmonic distortion will appear on those transients, meaning that the loudness cues to the ear will be on those transients too. If you have ever wondered why SETs have a universal reputation for being far more dynamic than their power level would suggest, this is the reason why.

IMO/IME 90% of the time when audiophiles use the term 'dynamic' you can safely change the word to 'distortion' without changing the meaning of the conversation at all!
they are all tone controls. for example, our solid state voltage feedback amps, when the second harmonic comes back via feedback (global, or local) and mixes with the original signal we develop a third harmonic, thus third is dependent also on second. i did some tests with the amp shown at left when preparing it for publication but I lost those pages of my original manuscript, but it corroborates with the power paradigm anyway (its a super simple set built to reveal SET attributes at an inexpensive price point and prove something about frequency range vs satisfying sound).

I beleive I have been on topic with this quite a lot in this thread where I have pointed out that the ear/brain system translates distortion into tonality. Anything that makes distortion is also going to have a tonal signature. IOW on this topic we seem to agree.

I don't like the effects of negative feedback. It makes whatever is using it to sound brighter than the original signal (if two circuits have the same bandwidth, the one with negative feedback will sound brighter).

How do you know what the original signal sounded like before it was amplified?

Tim

I have no numbers, Micro, I'm just of the impression (totally unscientific, probably bias-influenced) that most tube amps I've heard over the years have a characteristic sound that I like less and less as the recordings get denser. I have nothing to back it up, so let's call it a personal impression/opinion. On the other hand, I've heard a couple of tube amps that didn't have this sound at all. In that case I didn't see the point in the money, the maintenance, the reliability problems inherent in that technology. YMMV.

Your statement is a curious one, though. If the benefit is below the threshold of audibility, what part of your listening experience benefits?

Tim

We now have tubes that have a characteristic sound you do not like and some that do not. Can I ask you what were the couple you did not dislike?

As you know the threshold of audibility is still not settled. I have the idea that it can be much lower than the usual .1% THD general rule. It is why asked if you had a number or if audible distortion is just an abstract entity for you - other members in WBF have expressed their clear views with numbers on the subject in the past.

We now have tubes that have a characteristic sound you do not like and some that do not. Can I ask you what were the couple you did not dislike?

As you know the threshold of audibility is still not settled. I have the idea that it can be much lower than the usual .1% THD general rule. It is why asked if you had a number or if audible distortion is just an abstract entity for you - other members in WBF have expressed their clear views with numbers on the subject in the past.

Have you ever heard of Darkvoice headphone amplifiers? I auditioned one a few years ago that, after sorting out a noisy tube, sounded very much like a top-quality SS amp. I don't remember the model number, but it was a big, heavy, true dual mono thing. But it's not really a matter of disliking. I like them fine for what they are. If I had the space to have an SET set-up driving single "full-range" drivers like Lowthers, that would be fun. I just can't see myself using such a system for dense, multi-tracked studio recordings, etc. YMMV. And when you get to tube amps that don't have the tube sound, I stop seeing the point. YMMV.

Tim

How do you know what the original signal sounded like before it was amplified?

Tim
You don't need to know what is was exactly to discover that feedback causes brightness. That it does that has been known (Crowhurst, gentlemen, I have referenced him before; goto Pete Millet's site if you want to read up) for the last 50+ years.

If you start playing with (building, testing, trashing, building some more) amplifiers (or preamps) and feedback, you will find this to be the case. Its more audible with amplifiers though, unless the preamp circuit is really terrible.

One very simple method of knowing you are on the right track is to get a sound pressure level meter, and start taking readings. What sort of levels are you seeing when the volume drives you out of the room? If its only 95 db you have a problem. IOW the system should not sound loud at almost any volume setting. An orchestra can do 120 db peaks in the front row and the audience is pretty content to sit there. But if you can't be in the room with only 95db you know you have a problem.

If you start playing with (building, testing, trashing, building some more) amplifiers (or preamps) and feedback, you will find this to be the case. Its more audible with amplifiers though, unless the preamp circuit is really terrible.
That is very encouraging. If the gain stages in the preamp and amp can use feedback, and the current amplification stage needed to drive the speakers can be isolated and linearized independently, we might have a good sounding amp that is fairly impervious to speaker impedance.

That is very encouraging. If the gain stages in the preamp and amp can use feedback, and the current amplification stage needed to drive the speakers can be isolated and linearized independently, we might have a good sounding amp that is fairly impervious to speaker impedance.

I am of the opinion that we are looking at the leading edge of the technology- the point being how can we eliminate the effects of the propagation delay such that whatever feedback mechanism is used, it does not cause odd ordered harmonic distortion? If we could solve that, we might end this tubes/transistors debate once and for all.

So far I've avoided the use of feedback in preamp designs as well for the same reasons. One area where this really seems to play out well is in phono equalizers- the LP seems to play with less ticks and pops. It seems that if feedback is used to execute the EQ, that you stand a good chance of the result seeming to exhibit greater surface noise on the LP. If you think about this in terms of propagation delay, its not hard to sort out why.

You don't need to know what is was exactly to discover that feedback causes brightness. That it does that has been known (Crowhurst, gentlemen, I have referenced him before; goto Pete Millet's site if you want to read up) for the last 50+ years.

One very simple method of knowing you are on the right track is to get a sound pressure level meter, and start taking readings. What sort of levels are you seeing when the volume drives you out of the room? If its only 95 db you have a problem. IOW the system should not sound loud at almost any volume setting. An orchestra can do 120 db peaks in the front row and the audience is pretty content to sit there. But if you can't be in the room with only 95db you know you have a problem.

So, I assume then, that if you thoroughly measure the input signal and the output signal from such an amplifier that it will show a rise in FR in the highs, or upper mids, or some kind of distortion at those frequencies that does not exist in amps without negative feedback?

Tim

The HF rise is dependent upon many factors. A well-designed system should not exhibit such a rise. The systems I used to design could not tolerate such a rise and both local and global feedback was common.

So, I assume then, that if you thoroughly measure the input signal and the output signal from such an amplifier that it will show a rise in FR in the highs, or upper mids, or some kind of distortion at those frequencies that does not exist in amps without negative feedback?

Tim
Tim, there will not be a frequency response error, the brightness is caused by the ear/brain system interpreting trace amounts of odd-ordered harmonic distortion (which can be very difficult to measure) as a tonality; in this case brightness and also harshness, thus the highlight in bold above.

Again, the ear uses the odd ordered harmonics to sort out how loud a sound is and I think it safe to say that our perception of sound pressure is one of the more fundamental human hearing/perceptual rules.

Again, if you have two amps on the test bench that show the same bandwidth, one with loop feedback and one without, in practice the one 'with' will sound brighter on most speakers compared to the one 'without' due to this human hearing perceptual rule. In fact we can take it a bit further- even if the amp without feedback has greater bandwidth, the one with feedback will still sound brighter and harsher.

IOW this has everything to do with human hearing perceptual rules, and making sure that we designers follow them to the best of our abilities. It is very simple logic to see that if we make our equipment honor those rules, it will sound audibly better than those that don't. Since our understanding of perceptual rules is still unfolding there are many things that we don't know, but right now it appears that if we concentrate on improving those things to which the ear is most sensitive, we will have good success. With regards to odd ordered harmonic distortion (specifically the 5th, 7th and 9th harmonics) the ear is extremely sensitive- rivaling the best instrumentation, so any such generation within the circuitry should not be regarded as negligible. I alluded to this in the opening passages of my article. I am also saying that our test and measurement regime under the Voltage Paradigm, while getting better, is not measuring the things that are important to the ear. It is measuring the things that look good on paper. In this regard I see those measurements as an excellent real-life example of the Emperor's New Clothes.

This is why the Objectivist/Subjectivist debate has been around so long, ad nausem.

Tim, there will not be a frequency response error, the brightness is caused by the ear/brain system interpreting trace amounts of odd-ordered harmonic distortion (which can be very difficult to measure) as a tonality; in this case brightness and also harshness, thus the highlight in bold above.

Again, the ear uses the odd ordered harmonics to sort out how loud a sound is and I think it safe to say that our perception of sound pressure is one of the more fundamental human hearing/perceptual rules.

Again, if you have two amps on the test bench that show the same bandwidth, one with loop feedback and one without, in practice the one 'with' will sound brighter on most speakers compared to the one 'without' due to this human hearing perceptual rule. In fact we can take it a bit further- even if the amp without feedback has greater bandwidth, the one with feedback will still sound brighter and harsher.

IOW this has everything to do with human hearing perceptual rules, and making sure that we designers follow them to the best of our abilities. It is very simple logic to see that if we make our equipment honor those rules, it will sound audibly better than those that don't. Since our understanding of perceptual rules is still unfolding there are many things that we don't know, but right now it appears that if we concentrate on improving those things to which the ear is most sensitive, we will have good success. With regards to odd ordered harmonic distortion (specifically the 5th, 7th and 9th harmonics) the ear is extremely sensitive- rivaling the best instrumentation, so any such generation within the circuitry should not be regarded as negligible. I alluded to this in the opening passages of my article. I am also saying that our test and measurement regime under the Voltage Paradigm, while getting better, is not measuring the things that are important to the ear. It is measuring the things that look good on paper. In this regard I see those measurements as an excellent real-life example of the Emperor's New Clothes.

This is why the Objectivist/Subjectivist debate has been around so long, ad nausem.

That makes enough sense, but it is inconsistent with my listening experience. I currently use a pair of active monitor speakers with class A/B amps...I'm certain they use negative feedback...I have them set up for near field listening and they are, if anything, over-powered (250 watts for each mid/bass driver 75 watts for each tweeter)...They can get VERY loud. And I hardly notice. Seriously, I have to watch the volume, and I've often listened for awhile, thoroughly enjoying myself, cranking it up a bit at a time as I get into it, then muted the system for a moment. When I unmuted the system, it nearly blew my ears back. I'd had no idea I was listening that loud. So...trace amounts of distortion where our hearing is most sensitive? That's a decent explanation, I just don't hear it. But like I said in another thread the other day, I had my hearing tested a couple of years ago and found it was shot above 12khz, and given my age and history of playing live music, I probably have dips below that. Maybe I'm just not sensitive where the traces are happening.

Tim

No. Why would I do that?

Tim
You might be surprised at what the volume level actually is. Remember I was talking about how odd orders act as loudness cues to the human ear? A lot of audiophiles are often surprised at the levels they play, in that they are not as loud as they had suspected. But the system sounds loud because of the odd ordered harmonic content.

You might be surprised at what the volume level actually is. Remember I was talking about how odd orders act as loudness cues to the human ear? A lot of audiophiles are often surprised at the levels they play, in that they are not as loud as they had suspected. But the system sounds loud because of the odd ordered harmonic content.

Yes, but it's not just supposed to sound loud, it's supposed to sound harsh and fatigueing, right? That's the part of my listening experience that parts with your theory. I play the system, I ease it up a bit at a time, enjoying the music, I listen, I get called away for a moment and mute the system, I come back in and unmute, and find I was playing the music very loud without realizing it. I was playing it too loud but it didn't seem too loud. This is the opposite of the experience you're describing. And if I can inadvertently find myself playing my system much louder than necessary, without experiencing any harshness, fatigue, irritation, why should I care what the decible level is?

I'm not saying you're wrong; the human ear is more sensitive to odd-order harmonics? OK. Enough odd-order harmonics will make audio seem louder, harsher and brighter? I believe you. Negative feedback can increase these harmonics to that irritating level? OK, but I've got a relatively inexpensive pair of powered speakers here that have completely avoided the problem. And I've had a handful SS (and tube) headphone systems in this house (some expensive, some that were pretty cheap) that completely avoided the probelm. So I'm afraid I'll have to conclude that it's not that much of a problem, certainly not one that is begging for a high-priced solution. YMMV.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing