Craft (Small Batch, One-Step Pressings)

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
I have an analogue vinyl playback rig that sounds best when playing AAA vinyl, especially those recording labels that go the extra distance to make sure they are cutting the best they are capable of.

I have sometimes been lucky in my purchases (Classic Records Clarity) and unlucky as well (MoFi Ultradisc One-Step's), but there have been two recent purchases from record companies that I would like to share with this august group, namely: The Electric Recording Company and Craft Recordings, specifically their "Small Batch, One-Step Pressings".

I made my first purchase of an "Electric Recording Company" pressing (ERC089 - Piano Concertos Played by Samson François and conducted by Andre' Cluytens) in late April and received it a week ago. It sounds great, the best quality of recording I have ever owned, but cost me more than £400. I think most of you will have looked at their web-site and seen how much effort went into making these records.

Then I bought two "Craft, small-batch, one-step" records (Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet, and Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus) at a cost of $109.99 each (plus shipping)

(Technical Info):

"Craft Small Batch is a. carefully curated audiophile series that is devoted to creating the highest quality reissues of legendary recordings from. the Craft Recordings catalog. For this reissue, the original master tapes were sent to Bernie Grundman for all-analog mastering, where he utilised a custom tube pre-amp and analog mixing console with discreet electronics that were both made in-house, as well as a Scully solid-state lathe with custom electronics. Lacquers were sent to Record Technology Incorporated (RTI) for plating using their one-step process, where the lacquers are used to create a "convert" that becomes the record stamper. Finally, the records were pressed on 180-gram vinyl, utilising Neotech's VR900 compound."

"Using RTI's one-step lacquer process instead of the standard three-step process allows us to bypass two stages of generational loss and produce the highest level of musical detail, clarity and dynamics, while reducing the amount of surface noise on the record and generating the lowest noise floor that is currently possible. The limited nature of these pressings guarantees that each record is a true representation of the original lacquer and is as close as the listener can get to the original recording."

The Craft records are really cool, ribbon pull slides the record out of the external box, the vinyl itself is a smokey translucent disc that one can see through. I have listened to these back and forth and personally can't hear a lot of difference in the quality. From the limited examples I own I really can't make a fair judgement of which is best, it is that close, but if pushed, I would hesitantly nod to the ERC record (at four times the price). So, for those of you looking for the absolute best in terms of quality analogue vinyl, you can't go wrong here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcus

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Regular Craft Records reissues are great too, almost like AP or Impex cause they got the same treatment and cut by same engineers. On the other hand I can not say anything about ERC classic reissues but IMHO ERC jazz titles are over damped and too warm. Even an OJC version is better on all aspects. It’s a rip-off. Maybe it’s possible to get Decca master tapes for classic cuts cause they’re in the UK or DG tapes can be shipped from Germany but I don’t believe jazz master tapes are shipped from US.

IMHO/IME ERC jazz titles are too colored, too warm, no detail and not cut from the master tape. I don’t want to listen John Coltrane’s horn sounding as romantic as Ben webster’s.

Rensselaer

VIP/Donor
Mar 23, 2021
Regular Craft Records reissues are great too, almost like AP or Impex cause they got the same treatment and cut by same engineers. On the other hand I can not say anything about ERC classic reissues but IMHO ERC jazz titles are over damped and too warm. Even an OJC version is better on all aspects. It’s a rip-off. Maybe it’s possible to get Decca master tapes for classic cuts cause they’re in the UK or DG tapes can be shipped from Germany but I don’t believe jazz master tapes are shipped from US.

IMHO/IME ERC jazz titles are too colored, too warm, no detail and not cut from the master tape. I don’t want to listen John Coltrane’s horn sounding as romantic as Ben webster’s.
According to their website, ERC uses valves (over transistors) in every amplification stage, perhaps that causing the jazz titles to be "too warm"?

I thought that ERC used the time allocated by the preview head on the tape player to bump up or down volumes (analogue mastering) before the signal gets to the cutting head, as per your description on my "Pure Analogue LP Purveyors, in order of excellence in presence" thread (35) . Are you claiming that they are doing mastering in the digital domain?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
According to their website, ERC uses valves (over transistors) in every amplification stage, perhaps that causing the jazz titles to be "too warm"?
KG using valves throughout his mastering and cutting electronics and vinyl doesn’t get warm nor damped. I’m using a valve phono, valve amp setup and I never complained about sound getting warm or damped. So valve is not the problem here.

I thought that ERC used the time allocated by the preview head on the tape player to bump up or down volumes (analogue mastering) before the signal gets to the cutting head, as per your description on my "Pure Analogue LP Purveyors, in order of excellence in presence" thread (35) . Are you claiming that they are doing mastering in the digital domain?
No I don’t claim ERC mastering in digital domain. On the contrary I believe they’re mastering totally in analog domain but all analog doesn’t always mean best. IMHO they’re cutting from a copy of a copy of the master tape.

IMHO another problem is ERC’s poor equipment choice. I believe Neumann, Scully, Studer, Telefunken, Ampex etc are better choices than Ortofon lathe and Lyrec tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rensselaer

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

ERC is in London you can visit them to see. They do all in the analog domain. However while their chosen performances are good, they don’t sound as good as the originals. The two classical that I liked (I had heard all released till just before pandemic, I haven’t heard the ones since the Michele Auclair release) were the Kogan Tchaikovsky concerto and the Magda Tagliaferro piano. The Michele Auclair I heard the master tape and the lacquer they were cutting at the time and it was sounding almost similar. I don’t know how well it translated to the LPs. It is possible the difference with originals on others is more due to the cutting engineer. Dunno.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing