Thick Vinyl Records

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The date when it started is unclear -- the introduction of the 180 gram record. I tend to associate it with Hobson and the Classic Records line of reproductions but it could be earlier. JVC in Japan developed techniques for creating 180 gram and 200 gram LPs that MFSL had on offer..

Some may say thick vinyl records were a reaction to the end of the oil shortage of the 1970s. Some claim thick vinyl records are more durable and less prone to warpage. I think it was JVC who said their 180g and 200g records were flatter. Some claim that a thick record delivers protection from vibration coming through the platter and spindle.

From 140g through 200g, today record productions follow the amalgamation of IEC 98-1987, RIAA and DIN standards which also have standards for deviating from standards. To get into the weeds on record standards go here.

In terms of technical specifications, tecord weight has little to do with the quality of sound and music. Record thickness and weight have no bearing on how the groove is cut or its dimensions. To make a record groove dependent on vinyl thickness would require a whole new set of standards.

One line of thinking suggests the 180g 'audiophile record' is simply a marketing gimmick. It has no inherent goodness versus other record weights and it is not a solution to any significant problem. Audiophiles, especially those who started collecting in this century, are sold the idea that 180g records are higher quality; that they have greater value than lower weight, thinner records. Nonetheless the originals of all those 180g reproductions, the Deccas, Philips, RCAs and Mercury's -- often considered to yield higher quality sound -- were not pressed on 180g vinyl.

Some say that 180g records are a bad thing because they sound bad. The 180g record sounds dead by comparison to thinner records because thicker vinyl is too damped. To compensate, recording engineers boost the top and bottom frequencies. That yields hiss and noise when the top end is boosted which now has to be filtered out which leads to more deadness. In the end you have a lifeless plastic sound or a hi-fi sound. Of course there are always exceptions and some modern LPs sound quite good.

I suspect many will say "it is what it is" and pay no mind to whether the record is 180g. Someone will inevitably say "the quality of the vinyl itself has a greater impact." Perhaps, though there are more virgin vinyl 180g records than thinner virgin vinyl.

What do you think? Do you have a preference?

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Great question Sir,

The answers are alluded to in the cited paper. However you cut it the work and proofs were finished by the seventies.

This does not change marketing spin and hyperbole permeating the buyers outcome.

Dullest regards,G.

Reactions: tima

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
As OP stated I believe recording techniques and other technical specs other than thickness would have a greater influence on sound. One area that I think is promising is clear vinyl. Does eliminating that component actually reduce magnetic properties etc?

Beau

Reactions: tima

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
I am weight-agnostic. The care with which the music is recorded, mixed, mastered and pressed are the determinants of good sound, not record thickness. I’d be very surprised if WBF members thought otherwise.

Reactions: Argonaut and pcosta

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Maybe the increase in record thickness gives a more closed in, dead sound because we adjust VTA for thinner records, the thicker ones are always a little off in direct comparison. I have one tonearm set up for both and one for thin records, the "both" tonearm still slightly favors the thinner records. Newer thicker records seem more prone to warping during manufacturing , to many MoFi and other audiophile offerings have this problem. I always choose the thinner record when i have a choice. :)

Reactions: tima and mtemur

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am weight-agnostic. The care with which the music is recorded, mixed, mastered and pressed are the determinants of good sound, not record thickness. I’d be very surprised if WBF members thought otherwise.

Every time that I have compared a thick reissue to a thin original, I have preferred the latter. In some cases it is likely because of remastering. Perhaps this is really a question of original versus reissue, rather than thin versus thick vinyl, I do not really know. I do know that many of my records on thick vinyl sound a bit lifeless. I also know that warped records are no an issue on my turntable.

I use two identical tonearms and am thinking of setting up two samples of the same cartridge, one on each arm but with slightly different arm heights (but same VTA/SRA) to compensate for thick and thin records. I do think that 140 versus 180 thickness is enough affect VTA/SRA and be audible.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my most prized records are my Classic Records LZ 45 rpm Box Set, which are 200 gram. they are fantastic. and many of my early jazz mono's and earlier classical are a bit heavier than some others. i love many of my thin Philips classical, and lots of the best pressings of late 60's early 70's rock are thin.

my Classic Records reissues and APO 45's are 180 or 200 gram and many are amazing, not all.

not that big a deal i think. follow the music.

probably fair to say that we have to view reissues as a separate case from originals. more going on than the thickness....good and bad.

and also, many of the worst sounding reissues are on heavy vinyl, which tends to connect the two cases where that's not cause and effect necessarily.

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Beyond thin and thick the real culprit could be material hardness. When you hold on your hand old and thin records feel like made out of harder material while new and thick records feel softer in general. QRP and RTI pressings feel closer to old records though.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
it was proposed to me last year during the lecture at the ETF that thinner 120-140g records are better since the material flows better, keeps a more even temperature while pressing and cools quicker and more uniformly leading to more consistent results. The swiss copywriter that proposed this was cutting and mastering a fully analog release and played a lacquer, a dub plate and pressing stamped from a father of a fully analog project he was working on. The other interesting thing was that many lathes that work form tape machines without a preview heads have a digital delay so the analog signal feeds the pitch advance circuitry and then a 1.6ish second Digital delay is added to feed the cutting head for the next revolution. Let the litigation begin :)

dave

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
it was proposed to me last year during the lecture at the ETF that thinner 120-140g records are better since the material flows better, keeps a more even temperature while pressing and cools quicker and more uniformly leading to more consistent results.
This makes a lot of sense imho

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing