Creative New Comedy: Flight of the Conchords

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Am I the only one finding Flight of the Conchords which was telecast on HBO to be a fresh take on comedy? If you are not familiar with them, here is quick introduction:

Just when you think it is not funny, it hits you on the nose, causing you to laugh.

Some of their videos are just out of this world. Note: this is "R" rated stuff so don't play if you get offended by such things:

And my favorite third leg of the stool, Murray Hewitt. He works in the New Zealand embassy and plays their manager:

You just HAVE to get the cds.

I find that no matter how many times I hear it, I still laugh at the same points!! Sugar lumps hahaha, excellent.

some favs of the top of my head Business Time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhN93rFZuJs

robots (best from the cd, in the show from memory it is very short) have a listen whilst you browse....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNC61-OOPdA

HECK, just listen to the lot, fantastic!!!!!

good one Amir, love them to death.

(haha, I loved the one where jermaine fell for an aussie chick and the old kiwi/aussie stuff got in the way)

ahh, just worked out how to embed the videos.

(this one is just music, the clip from the show is very short, so just listen to this one)

You are right. No matter how many times you have heard or seen these clips, you can't help but laugh!

Here is an ironic story. I had not heard of these guys. I am on Emirate airline going to Dubai for business. I read about the strict laws regarding explicit material and how they block such access from the Internet. I then pull up the VOD service on the plane and find this show and click play. Imagine my surprise when I see some of the stuff we have posted above! I land and I see that they block these clips on Youtube. So I guess as long as you are on the airplane, it is OK to watch them but not when the wheels touch base!

You are right. No matter how many times you have heard or seen these clips, you can't help but laugh!

Here is an ironic story. I had not heard of these guys. I am on Emirate airline going to Dubai for business. I read about the strict laws regarding explicit material and how they block such access from the Internet. I then pull up the VOD service on the plane and find this show and click play. Imagine my surprise when I see some of the stuff we have posted above! I land and I see that they block these clips on Youtube. So I guess as long as you are on the airplane, it is OK to watch them but not when the wheels touch base!

It seems a few here don't know them, hopefully your thread will help change that!

Except in extrememe cases, 'comedy music' never really works. What is unique about these guys is that a) the lyrics are SO funny and clever yet b) the music is of equal quality and stand together AS SONGS in their own right, and lastly c) no matter how many times wehear it we still love it, as we both have noted.

And I can also confirm that the recording quality is pretty good! so a further plug for getting the music for it's own sake.

We'll both sit here with a satisfied smug 'see we told you' look on our faces as more and more report back here...'I bought the music, WOW why didn't you guys say so earlier?' hahaha.

I did note in your post about sugarlumps being R rated, I thought WTF!? I mean the states can be incredibly conservative, but I was very surprised that even there in the 'land of the righteous' it was regarded as R rated!

Then again, I imagine a very short time ago the BBC could evry well have censored it as well!

Looking up the rating, it is actually TV-MA! I don't think it rises to that level though.

And yes, I recall living in UK in my youth and watching BBC. The standards there were quite a bit more liberal than US after 8:00pm.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing