David Karmeli's Natural Sound in Utah

What I hear when I listen the the large Altec is the venue the recording was made in. With Paul Simon Live in Central Park, the park was in his room. All the people, the hustle and bustle. You could feel the crowd. The hum of the equipment and band. I cried. Its one of only two times I have teared up in front of a system. Other large systems sound very real and natural. But I never heard the recording venue, the space the recording was take in, presented as such a part of the music playback system as with Howards very large horns. 6 feet wide with a 15 cell multicell on top. I wish I had a room to put it in. I was also somewhat intimidated at the thought of having to tune such a system. That could be a rabbit hole all the way to the far east.

he is using RCA Ubangi cabinets and EV drivers.

That said, ambience of the recording cannot be given an example of with one record. In such a case it is usually the description of the system. Yes the multi cell horns project a massively huge stage in a big room, and you will feel the crowd and the band.. Creating ambience of a concert is not the same thing as showing the ambience of the recording

he is using RCA Ubangi cabinets and EV drivers.

That said, ambience of the recording cannot be given an example of with one record. In such a case it is usually the description of the system. Yes the multi cell horns project a massively huge stage in a big room, and you will feel the crowd and the band.. Creating ambience of a concert is not the same thing as showing the ambience of the recording
The cabinet is a copy made from hight quality plywood. He had a local shop build them. It cost more to make than what he sold them for.

I have touched a couple original Altec and they feel thin. Nothing special. Howards were very dense and heavy. Many originals have cast horns. His were Chela or some such maker.

He did have a replica crossover made to original spec.
He always wanted a better compression driver.
He had high quality 15 inch EV drivers.

I have sat in front of that system for about 15 to 20 hours. I re-powered his room and heard a before and after.

Maybe I should read through Karens forum. I guess I don't know what space means. If of course people feel Karens definition is correct.

Buy an original Altec with metal horn and live with it before going the DIY route. Personally I don't care for wooden multi-cells nor do I see the point when original metal Altec horns are readily available and for a lot less money than wood copies of unknown origin and quality. The woofer cabinet is of even bigger concern, buy a vintage one in original condition!

david
Thanks. I'm just curious. We keep getting thwarted when trying to purchase property. That is how I would make a room capable of handling a large speaker.
Or I put them in a barn, literally, and use them as party speakers.

Someone talked about hay as a diffuser. I bet a dirt floor with hay, high ceilings, bales strategically placed would make a great sounding venue.

The cabinet is a copy made from hight quality plywood. He had a local shop build them. It cost more to make than what he sold them for.

I have touched a couple original Altec and they feel thin. Nothing special. Howards were very dense and heavy. Many originals have cast horns. His were Chela or some such maker.

He did have a replica crossover made to original spec.
He always wanted a better compression driver.
He had high quality 15 inch EV drivers.

I have sat in front of that system for about 15 to 20 hours. I re-powered his room and heard a before and after.

Maybe I should read through Karens forum. I guess I don't know what space means. If of course people feel Karens definition is correct.

Chela is just the multi cell horn maker. The bass cabinets are RCA ubangi replica. They take over from 500 Hz which is common with the Altec type dual woofers but he claims he gets usable frequency till 16 Hz with his EV 15w

Altecs can be pretty awful sounding also, the original N500 crossover was considered pits and the metal horn isn't better than the good wood horns though there are many poor modders.

Reading space or ambience won't help. Hearing it will. If you have some good classical LPs and listen on different systems you will hear the ones where they sound different vs where they sound similar

Last edited:
I have sat in front of 20 or so systems considered top shelf. Howards is the only one that did what I heard, to rhe degree I heard. Dylan was another artist where you heard every inflection in his voice. So much so I realized he isn't singing songs. He's reciting a poem to music.

Others I have heard that move that direction. The others that are best do so with very good frequency response and an ability to be listened to daily. Howards probably had frequency issues and might be a bit much for daily use.

I shared some of the lessons I learned from visiting David and meeting Tima over on Karen Sumner's SPACE: THE FINAL FRONTIER thread. The discussion got bogged down on semantics. I concluded one post there with this sentence which to me summarizes my visit to Utah, and serves as a kind standard for me: If a system is truly successful, we should leave thinking about the music and not about some aspect of the system sound. This met with some interesting resistance. I copy my response in that thread over here because it summarizes my thinking on the subject and is the essence of what I learned from David and his four systems. The more each of those systems achieved this ideal, the more successful I found it to be.

Ron Resnick wrote: "It's all about the music" is a nice slogan for audiophiles to deploy to address cognitive dissonance arising from all of the time we spend talking about equipment and about sound.

I think it is a false dichotomy to establish as a test that if one leaves a listening session on a stereo system thinking even in part about the sound, then the system is a failure.

Ron, I do not think it is all about the music, but rather about the experience of hearing the music played over a system, and how it relates to one's experience with live music. I wrote “If the system is truly successful, we should leave thinking about the music and not about some aspect of the system sound.” I could add that my goal is achieving a similar experience to hearing the music live.

You can manipulate that comment and turn it into an absolute unqualified statement, but that was not my intention. The experience on which my comment is based is the reference system I heard in Utah. Now back at home reflecting on the experience, what I think about is how powerful Bach’s organ music sounded and filled the space like I hear the organ sound at my church. I think how Peter Schreier sounded singing Winterreise and how much it sounded like the experience in the music hall an hour north of me when I heard a similar performance with Al M. and my father. I think about Arthur Grumiaux and the concertgebouw orchestra led by Colin Davis, how he played his violin and how similar the overall experience was to what I have sitting in the tenth row at the BSO.

What I do not think about is the sound of David’s big system. In fact I struggle to even describe its character when asked by people about its sound.

I make this distinction because I hear systems and only think about particular sonic attributes like the dynamics and big sound. Characteristics which stay with the system for years and overwhelm the rest. I leave those listening sessions thinking about the sound of the system and not the music. Most systems have a defining character. Better systems have less of a character. The best systems have almost no character.

I am sharing my experience and describing what is possible. For me it is a test, and indication, of the success of the system. Almost all systems fall short of this ideal, but that is the point of a reference. It serves as a goal and a guide to help us make decisions. Isn’t that what What’s Best Forum is all about?

Karen Sumner‘s thread is about Space: the final frontier and how to achieve it. Since leaving Utah, I have a better appreciation for this aspect of reproduced music. The information is on the recording. If the system is sufficiently resolving, and the room and set up do not corrupt the information, the system should deliver a listening experience that should be about the music and not about the sound of the system.

Most systems have a defining character. Better systems have less of a character. The best systems have almost no character.

The information is on the recording. If the system is sufficiently resolving, and the room and set up do not corrupt the information, the system should deliver a listening experience that should be about the music and not about the sound of the system.
Well said. Funny that these concepts would even need defending :)

Reactions: ddk and PeterA
@PeterA Did you make this second trip to further your exposure to a reference, for fun, or to learn something specific?

@PeterA Did you make this second trip to further your exposure to a reference, for fun, or to learn something specific?

This trip grew out of an earlier planned one that included three members from Southern California. That trip fell through. At about that same time, David, Tim, and I were communicating via PM and decided it would be fun to all get together.

The primary reason was social, just to meet and talk about music, audio, and the state of the world. Let’s just say no topic was off-limits. It was a convivial gathering of like minded people sharing common interests.

The secondary reason for me was to hear some different vintage speakers, a really cool and obscure vintage turntable, and to better understand natural sound through increased exposure. I took a dozen of my LPs. I did learn a few specific things which will influence my own system development.

David has some interesting projects going on. It was a really fun and educational four days.

Last edited:
Hi David- do those Mitsubishi Diatones need to rest against a wall? I don't have that option but I'm intrigued and there is a local pair for sale. I have Lamm too, although no ML2s yet.

Your rooms are incredible. I've been following this thread with awe since I joined here.
All Lamm Tim.
- Small room- LP2.1 DLX, LL1 and ML2
- Large room- LP1, LP2 DLX, LL1.1, ML3, ML2 (subs), ML2 for secondary speakers.

I have the hybrid Lamms to demo too but none of the speakers we were listening to required them.

david

Reactions: PeterA
I bet a dirt floor with hay, high ceilings, bales strategically placed would make a great sounding venue.
for a month or so......or a weekend.

the moisture (and critters) which would accompany soil would not be friendly to any electronics/speakers/drivers/records/tapes/etc. the soil would be a bass trap with unpredictable results. it's like a big thick pillow.

hay would change (ferment) constantly (maybe it could be dried in some way?)......it's not like sand where you can sterilize it and it becomes inert. wood has to be cured to be usable.

i endorse the barn idea; mine started with horse stalls and a dirt floor.....but now has a vapor barrier and 6 inches of concrete. the hayloft is a (man-cave) rec room, with a solid ceiling.

Last edited:
Hi David- do those Mitsubishi Diatones need to rest against a wall? I don't have that option but I'm intrigued and there is a local pair for sale. I have Lamm too, although no ML2s yet.

Your rooms are incredible. I've been following this thread with awe since I joined here.
Hi Fishfood,
The Diatones don’t need to be against the wall and they actually need some space around them to sound their best. Don’t hesitate if the pair is in good original condition, you’ll love them!

david

Thank you David and Peter. I saw that you say they should be off the ground a bit. Is it completely ridiculous to attempt a stand with wheels? They go in our main living area and we need to move them out of the way once or twice a week. I can move them myself but my back won't be too thrilled.

I bought them by the way. Going to pick them up in the morning. Probably going to wish I still had my restored vintage Thorens 124 .... and now I need to start the amp search!

Thank you David and Peter. I saw that you say they should be off the ground a bit. Is it completely ridiculous to attempt a stand with wheels? They go in our main living area and we need to move them out of the way once or twice a week. I can move them myself but my back won't be too thrilled.

I bought them by the way. Going to pick them up in the morning. Probably going to wish I still had my restored vintage Thorens 124 .... and now I need to start the amp search!
Congrats! I love rolling stands there’s no reason why you can’t use them.
david

Try cheap movers dolly from Harbor Freighter or the like and see how it goes. If you dig it get some nicer ones made up :)

Congrats! I love rolling stands there’s no reason why you can’t use them.
david
And while I'm looking for an appropriate amp, 150WPC SS played quietly won't hurt them, right? I have to say, I've never been more excited about a purchase.

95c9c8a606b7e8b04c6e75e079f832ac.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: howiebrou
Picked 'em up! Wow. Like being in the recording studio. Piano! Oh my!

Would love to try some low power tubes to warm things up a bit. 150W of SS sounds powerful and the bass is so realistic. Voices and lead instruments are a little too neutral. Any suggestion for an amp around $2k, just to get my feet wet?

IMG_0444.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing