Dedicated Modem

Frankie67

Nov 2, 2021
Hello everyone.

I currently own a dCS Vivaldi and I would like to improve the sound quality of any streaming source.

I am wondering whether anyone has ever tried connecting a separate, dedicated modem directly to the upsampler/streamer. By separate, I mean a dedicated modem with its own fiber connection (and yes a separate account and, I guess, IP address).

I have now purchased a long ethernet cable from Entreq (grounded cable) which I will use in order to connect my Vivaldi upsampler to the Vodafone modem (via the ethernet switch) (as my system is currently connected to the ethernet socket on the wall). [TBD whether in this new setup I will still need to employ the optic-fiber converter which I currently use.]

As I said above, I am wondering whether a dedicated modem and separate optic fiber line (used only for the audio system and separate from the “general” modem) could add value in terms of SQ. I am sure that the modem which feeds everything in the house injects every sort of noise into the audio system. Does this make sense? Han anyone tried this?

I already have a dedicated AC power line, optimized for audio use.

Thanks,
Franco

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yeah, I went that crazy. The house is on copper ISP, and separate fiber ISP is audio. Still need a switch/wifi of some sort.

And the audio network is on a dedicated power line, opposite phase from audio. All using LPS for power. And on an UberBuss power conditioner. Sounds great.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hello Frankie67, (this does not exactly respond to your question)
This is what the Switch X does. Except it creates a new local network within your original network.
It does not require a new internet service, and is no different than splitting it off just outside of your home (I think).
It very much improved my streaming. Switch X is from DeJitterit and sold by GTT audio in NJ.

Reactions: Frankie67

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
I think you are much better off upgrading your front-end network equipment to a "prosumer" level product like Ubiquiti. It will allow you to use software to direct and manage your network more effectively. Putting in 2 independent internet feeds still points both of them to your ISP networks and doesn't do anything to help address your concern. The only reason to use two lines in your home is a product like Ubiquiti to load balance internet traffic.

We highly recommend this solution to our digital customers, and those who have used it have reported great results.

***Dealer***

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
As you are asking, I have a dedicated fiber line (different account from internet provider from the external of the house). One router, one Ethernet cable from router to Innuos PhoenixNET and also a Muon Pro in between. Just for audio purpose. The router is fed by a Sean Jacobs PSU and I use also a few CAD Ground Controls for the switch and the server/streamer.
My room is wifi free. I use an iPad as controller wired to the router.
I’m happy.

Last edited:

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...Luca, for what it's worth, the honchos at Taiko say their research concludes the noise pollution is coming from devices/power/grid origins, and not the WiFi itself. They even ultimately added WiFi to their new router, which surprised me.

Like you, I have a separate ISP for an Uber-VPN, and no non-audio traffic on the network. Dedicated power to network, on the other power phase. Hope all good...

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
I prefer keeping the iPad wired and in flight mode, psycho acoustic? Sometimes I think it's so easy to overdo it in this hobby, as much as it never seems like enough! It’s a journey and I like experimenting…
Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing