Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

• Total voters

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I guess in a way we all do. I mean we place the cables into our systems to judge if the system sounds better.

ozzy

Reactions: Alrainbow

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
i would guess any cable is tunning even if its getting out of the way hahahaha .
And since you can only listen to your components via cables, how would you know that one cable was "getting out of the way" vs. another revealing all of the musicality the component had to offer?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
And since you can only listen to your components via cables, how would you know that one cable was "getting out of the way" vs. another revealing all of the musicality the component had to offer?
you cant mostly , but if you use headphones there is much less cables to affect the sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How is it that we read and hear generalized characteristics of the way specific cable brands sound? These are reports across different components and systems and rooms.

Don’t we all generally agree that Cardas cables sound different from Nordost cables, just to pick two at random?

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
How is it that we read and hear generalized characteristics of the way specific cable brands sound? These are reports across different components and systems and rooms.

Don’t we all generally agree that Cardas cables sound different from Nordost cables, just to pick two at random?
Same as "house sound" for brands of components. There are some cable/component traits that are pronounced enough that they come through clearly with most combinations. However in my experience knowing what the "generalized characteristics" are is not enough to predict interaction effects/synergies between cables and components. For that you have to listen.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Anyone that says their cables they own do not tune the system is lying, to themselves at the very least.
Even if you are looking at neutrality in cables cheap or expensive, all cables have a sound whether we admit it or not.
The more transparent your system is, the bigger difference you seem to get inserting different cables, for better or worse.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Cables certainly make a difference, and they should be chosen carefully. But some cables have an effect that is more easily identified than others. My point is that if there is a house sound to a brand of cables that is universal across components and systems, then those cables could hardly be considered “getting out of the way“ if there character comes through and you can easily identify it.

Some systems are more tuned by some cables than they are by other cables.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Cables certainly make a difference, and they should be chosen carefully. But some cables have an effect that is more easily identified than others. My point is that if there is a house sound to a brand of cables that is universal across components and systems, then those cables could hardly be considered “getting out of the way“ if there character comes through and you can easily identify it.

Peter, every cable has a house sound, even Ching Cheng :p

That they are cheap and go extremely well with Lamm, is going to be very good to one's wallet.

Everyone says Nordost has a house sound of dry and lean - which is incorrect after you own them. Unforgiving, I can agree with.

Reactions: hogen and tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, every cable has a house sound, even Ching Cheng :p

That they are cheap and go extremely well with Lamm, is going to be very good to one's wallet.

Everyone says Nordost has a house sound of dry and lean - which is incorrect after you own them. Unforgiving, I can agree with.

Would you say each cable has an equally strong or easily identifiable house sound? And is this consistent with different cable models within a brand?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Would you say each cable has an equally strong or easily identifiable house sound? And is this consistent with different cable models within a brand?

Ime, homogenization (house sound) is stronger with some than others, though sometimes it can be hard to tell unless you experience the electronics with a variety of cables. I recently tried 4 different 7 meter IC runs from preamp to amp. In terms of relative difference two were close, a third was distinquishable from those two though not dramatically so, the fourth was clearly different from all three.

Every cable tells a story, donut.

Reactions: PeterA and XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Honestly Peter. the more cables or stuff I listen to, the more different everything sounds. Sometimes better, sometimes not. I have and I am sure many on WBF have reached a position where our system sounds great - however we search for more.
Does Nordost have a house sound - overall at Valhalla and above, probably not, but I have never heard Valhalla speaker cable.

Everything we insert into our system at a certain " quality " level is always going to be more than a 20 minute listen to easily say Y or N.
Or at least in my honest opinion.

Reactions: hogen and bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Honestly Peter. the more cables or stuff I listen to, the more different everything sounds. Sometimes better, sometimes not. I have and I am sure many on WBF have reached a position where our system sounds great - however we search for more.
Does Nordost have a house sound - overall at Valhalla and above, probably not, but I have never heard Valhalla speaker cable.

Everything we insert into our system at a certain " quality " level is always going to be more than a 20 minute listen to easily say Y or N.
Or at least in my honest opinion.

Thank you. I was just trying to better understand what you’ve been saying. Thanks for the clarification.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

A few brands have a characteristic sound - I would love to know how manufacturers manage to do it! Some even share similar signatures between speaker and interconnects. Considering that intensities and currents are orders of magnitude different between them, as well as the geometries I consider it a real technical achievement.

But, for example, Mogami cables do not share characteristics and sound different between them.

They are a case of night and day, Peter. But there is considerable difference between Cardas types - I would say even more than between some brands.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I just found out that power cables can make as much of an improvement as interconnects and speaker cables.

Late to the party I guess.

Never needed a power cable replacement before because everything was hard wired or in the case of my Graaf tube preamp it had a replaceable glass fuse in it.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I just found out that power cables can make as much of an improvement as interconnects and speaker cables.

Late to the party I guess.

Never needed a power cable replacement before because everything was hard wired or in the case of my Graaf tube preamp it had a replaceable glass fuse in it.
Power cables make the biggest difference among cables - interconnects the least difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing