Esoteric Grandioso T1 turntable arrives; G1X Master Clock coming.

IMHO if there is anything to be borrowed it’s borrowed from La Platine Verdier not Continuum Caliburn. Full or partial magnetic levitation of a heavy platter is successfully used by Verdier turntable since 1979.
It's a shame that the la platine magnum never went into series production, probably too expensive. there was 60kg platter made floating with 10 bar oil pressure. no contact below

here is a review where the G1X clock is compared to an even more expensive Merging Technology clock in the context of an Esoteric digital player.

there are not many actual reviews of the G1X, other than Fremer's T1 review.
Mike, I ordered a T1 turntable but since I can't afford the G1X clock, I will have the more affordable and new G5 clock. looking forward to it. May I know why you chose the Shunyata BNC cable in particular? I understand Esoteric has its own cable DA6100, presumably a good match.

hey, i'm told the Nothing Rack for the AS-2000 is $50k. don't know that for sure, but does that make any more sense than this? are there cheaper racks? that perform as well?
the answer lies in the statement itself…….$50k for ‘nothing’……sorry just cudnt resist!

the answer lies in the statement itself…….$50k for ‘nothing’……sorry just cudnt resist!
i almost bought a Nothing Rack; not once, but twice. so while i realize your comment was made in jest, i don't want to leave it like that. i'm sure the Nothing Rack is a formidable performer. yet whether it's $50k worth of performance to most users is a reasonable question. just like the GIX. and that was my only point.

i don't want to disrespect the Nothing Rack.

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay
Mike, I ordered a T1 turntable but since I can't afford the G1X clock, I will have the more affordable and new G5 clock. looking forward to it. May I know why you chose the Shunyata BNC cable in particular? I understand Esoteric has its own cable DA6100, presumably a good match.
at the time of my G1X arrival, the Shunyata Sigma v2 clock 50 was the top rank cable based on feedback i had read. since then there is a new level with Shunyata, the Omega Clock 50, twice the price of the Sigma v2, which i now read is better.

i was all in at that point wanting to see how far i could go, never had a stand alone clock, but wanting to see what could be done. a do-over today might be the Omega, maybe.

Last edited:
hey, i'm told the Nothing Rack for the AS-2000 is $50k. don't know that for sure, but does that make any more sense than this? are there cheaper racks? that perform as well?
That rack was an extremely small production run developed for customers of David’s American Sound AS 2000 turntable. It did not cost $50,000.

“the answer lies in the statement itself…….$50k for ‘nothing’……sorry just cudnt resist!”

It is called The Nothing Rack because the design goal was to add or subtract nothing from the sound of the components sitting on it. There’s a lot of technology in that rack system.

Last edited:
That rack was an extremely small production run developed for customers of David’s American Sound AS 2000 turntable. It did not cost $50,000.

It is called The Nothing Rack because the design goal was to add or subtract nothing from the sound of the components sitting on it. There’s a lot of technology in that rack system
did you read my post #444?

Reactions: adyc
at the time of my G1X arrival, the Shunyata Sigma v2 clock 50 was the top rank cable based on feedback i had read. since then there is a new level with Shunyata, the Omega Clock 50, twice the price of the Sigma v2, which i now read is better.

i was all in at that point wanting to see how far i could go, never had a stand alone clock, but wanting to see what could be done. a do-over today might be the Omega, maybe.

I have Omega clock cables. They are excellent.

did you read my post #444?

Yes I did. You did not address what I am saying. You repeated the $50,000 price which is incorrect. That’s why I posted.

The second part is really a response to the other guy who claims you’re not getting anything for $50K. Maybe he was joking but as you are fond of writing, some people are big targets and in this case the guy is not here to respond.

You have written on the forum that you almost bought that turntable twice, but I don’t recall any mention that you were also going to buy the rack system to replace what you have. I wasn’t aware of that. If you wanted to buy the rack, did you ever talk to David about the rack's built in technology with him? It’s actually quite interesting and I have adapted some of it for my own rack with his consultation.

You brought up The Nothing Rack as an example of what exactly?

Last edited:
It's a shame that the la platine magnum never went into series production, probably too expensive. there was 60kg platter made floating with 10 bar oil pressure. no contact below

That's an even heavier platter than the Caliburn!

The two American Sound turntables have platters that weigh 150 pounds floating on a cushion of air for almost no friction or bearing wear. This technology is not new, but fairly unique. The original American sound turntable is from 1970.

Reactions: Lee
The two American Sound turntables have platters that weigh 150 pounds floating on a cushion of air for almost no friction or bearing wear. This technology is not new, but fairly unique. The original American sound turntable is from 1970.

How thick is the bearing on the AS tables and is it inverted? Is the air bearing different from TechDAS?

How thick is the bearing on the AS tables and is it inverted? Is the air bearing different from TechDAS?

it’s not a conventional air bearing and it is not at all similar to the TechDAS or the Micro Seiki which I owned. I took apart and studied the three bearings of the Micro, the AS 1000, and AS 2000. I only brought it up because you’re talking about reducing bearing wear with magnetic levitation. Mike brought up DDK's The Nothing Rack. I am sure no one wants to discuss DDK, his rack or the American Sound turntable in the Esoteric thread.

Last edited:
it’s not a conventional air bearing and it is not at all similar to the TechDAS or the Micro Seiki which I owned. I took apart and studied all three bearings. I only brought it up because you’re talking about reducing bearing wear with magnetic levitation. I’m sure no one wants a discussion about the American Sound turntable in the esoteric thread.

Okay, I was just curious. Always trying to learn about how things work and best practices.

Reactions: microstrip
Yes I did. You did not address what I am saying. You repeated the $50,000 price which is incorrect. That’s why I posted.

The second part is really a response to the other guy who claims you’re not getting anything. Maybe he was joking but as you are fond of writing, some people are big targets and in this case the guy is not here to respond.

You have written on the forum that you almost bought that turntable twice, but I don’t recall any mention that you were going to buy the rack system also to replace what you have. I wasn’t aware of that. If you wanted to buy the rack, did you ever talk to David about the technology with him? It’s actually quite interesting and I have adapted some of it for my own rack with his consultation.

Peter

How much is the nothing rack?

Is it only made for the turntable or other components?

Okay, I was just curious. Always trying to learn about how things work and best practices.

yes. Phoenix Engineering asked some very interesting questions about cogging with the Esoteric. I would like to see a video of the drive mechanism and slotted platter during turn on until it is up to speed and learn more about the sonic effect of changing the distance between the two. Manufactures keep a lot of information to themselves and that is understandable.

Reactions: Lee and Audiohertz2
I have Omega clock cables. They are excellent.
Same here,...3 of them in my Esoteric Grandioso stack with Cybershaft 10mHz master clock. I owned the Sigma Clock-50 v1 and later Sigma Clock-50 v2 for many years and found them to yield great performance which was in both cases a very surprising upgrade from my prior Esoteric Mexcel 8N-A2000, true 50ohm cables (fantastic cables).

The only cables I've found better compared to all those,....Shunyata Omega Clock-50.

Reactions: Lee and Audiohertz2
And bigger 20 inch diameter .Platine_Magnum_ET_titre02.jpg780lbs weight complete. In russia for 162.000€ recently sold.

OilpumpPlatine_Magnum_pump.jpg

It is called The Nothing Rack because the design goal was to add or subtract nothing from the sound of the components sitting on it. There’s a lot of technology in that rack system.
I would assume that Ron , being the most recent customer for this rack (before no longer going ahead with the purchase) ,following on from mike in that regard , might be in a position to advise as to the RRP price of nothing ?

Your comment is untrue and nasty. Actually Ron purchased and still owns at least one of these racks which is a tall custom height and different color/finish. You can ask him the details.

I was not aware that Mike was going to purchase The Nothing Rack. Did he tell you that he was going to buy the rack? It was never a commercially available product. Each Nothing Rack system is custom and and priced according to its configuration. David designed it and has about five different ones in his system, and some other AS 2000 customers have them.
Oh please !!!… don’t play the weasel word *nasty comment card * to distract from the subject at hand … We are discussing the nothing rack as supplied with Karmeli’s turntable are we not ? … both Mike ( As he clearly posted earlier ) and latterly Ron had in the first instance descided to purchase this TT rack … and for whatever their reasons retracted upon the purchase … Do step in and point out the *untruth* in that ?

As someone most recently involved in such a transaction It would be absurd to consider that Ron were not in a position to indicate the RRP of this nothing turntable rack .

Reactions: adyc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing