Experience with Mola Mola Lupe

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
I’m not seeing too much out there on the forums about the Lupe and so as an early(ish) adopter I thought I’d weigh in with my experience for anyone who might be looking at it.

To cut to the chase… I am very impressed. I have owned many phono preamps in my life up and down the price ladder. Prior to the Lupe, my favorite, in a class by itself sonically (and financially) was the Ypsilon VPS-100. Below that in the next tier were the Allnic H3000, the Manley Steelhead, and the ARC Ref 2SE, each of which had its strengths and weaknesses and each of which I could have been happy with forever if I were not insane. I’m guessing you know how it is.

After three weeks of a LOT of listening, I put the Lupe, on sound quality alone, in the Ypsilon class. It brings a level of insight into the music that reminds me of my favorite DAC, the Weiss DAC501, where a seemingly impossible amount of information is conveyed in a way that doesn’t feel editorialized in the slightest and yet is never strident in its truth telling. The Ypsilon did editorialize… but in such a graceful way that I didn’t miss the edges it was rounding off. With the Ypsilon I felt like I was getting all the information in the grooves and yet it was simultaneously pulling a magic trick of rendering that information in the most euphonious and intoxicating way imaginable (it really is something that piece of gear… I still use the Ypsilon integrated and quite possibly will until the end).

IMG_1255.jpg

But even with the unreliability of sonic memory (and I owned the Ypsilon phono stage not that long ago) I feel confident in saying that the Lupe is in a different category of information retrieval. I’m having that glorious audiophile experience with the Lupe of putting on cherished records and feeling like I’m hearing them fresh. Michael Trei alludes to this experience in his Stereophile review of the Lupe, and he also brings up the CH Precision as a comparison point. The Ypsilon and CH Precision have been the yin and yang of big dollar phonos for a while now - more forgiving tube unit versus more analytical solid state. I know how the Lupe compares to the Yip so I’d curious to hear how it compares to the CH P at less than a third of the price. I’ve never heard the CH P, and generally I have gravitated towards tubed phono stages, mostly because I felt like they were better at rendering deep holographic soundstages. The Lupe is no slouch in that department (especially when it comes to precise imaging in the soundstage) but the deep holographic thing… no doubt the Ypsilon had the edge there.

Another area where the Ypsilon had an edge is in the overall size of the presentation. The Yip really did “big.” Though I’m not entirely sure about that comparison because for most of the time I had the Yip phono I was running stereo subs with TAD monitors and in my smallish room those subs really did “big” too. I now have Joseph Perspectives, no subs, and though I much prefer the bass of the Joes, they don’t artificially pump up the scale of things the way those subs did in here.

The Lupe yields nothing to the Ypsilon when it comes to tonal saturation which is really saying something. And it has hands down the best low end of any phono pre I’ve ever had. Maybe that is due to my lack of experience with top flight solid state units? (I had a Pass xp17 and an esoteric e-03, neither did much for me and I sold them quickly). The low end the Lupe digs out of my records wows me every day - taut, articulate, feel it in your chest slam, and LOW… all the good stuff. Just now I was listening to Nick Drake Five Leaves Left (from the Fruit Tree box) and noticing these Mingus like flourishes Danny Thompson was doing on the upright in Saturday Sun. Had me thinking of Money Jungle. I’ve listened to that Nick D record a bazillion times and never taken note of that. Rostropovich in the Beethoven sonatas with Richter, Starker in the famous Mercury Bach sonatas (both Speakers Corner sets)… these are records I’ve listened to over and over and with the Lupe I feel like I’m getting nuances of the performances and the sound of the respective cellos that are making them feel new to me. Earlier today I put on Chic’s first album and Bernie Edwards slappy bass had me on the edge of my seat. The pop, the resonant tone and sheer presence of the instrument in my room - it was jumping out of the speakers and whapping me around in my chair. That gets to the realm where the Lupe whips the Ypsilon in my memory (and every other phono pre I’ve had) - “dynamics.” Music just seems leap out and grab me by the tail feathers with this thing.

I haven’t even mentioned the convenience and the configurability which is the Lupe’s main sales pitch. I generally run three tonearms. Nothing I’ve owned has made that easier than the Lupe. With the one-input MM-only Ypsilon (and the Leben I was using just prior to the Lupe) it was a nightmare with the various SUT’s and cables. Four inputs on the Lupe (one balanced, each with ITS OWN GROUND LUG!!!!!) each input effortlessly configurable via the app for gain and impedance and capacitance and mono/stereo and yes EQ curves if that’s your thing. It’s not my thing but then with the way it works on the Lupe they are basically tone controls that you can customize if you want. I definitely have availed myself of that feature… rolled off some piercing records… added a little low end to thin ones. And it saves those settings such that all you have to do is select the given input and voila, all the various parameters stay in place. Amazing.

I have only one beef so far - the lowest resistance for an MC cart is 60ohm. Baffling why 30 isn’t an option.

That’s it for my gripes other than that I bought it second hand and the seller listed it as 10 out of 10 mint and when I got it I found a few obvious marks on the top and side panel near the front. The guy was a real dick about it when I pointed that out. But hey… that is hardly the Lupe’s fault.

It runs warm to the touch, nowhere near hot. Half box unit which I like. I’m not in love with the aesthetics but I’m fine with it. Comes in its own pelican case, nice touch.

All in all I’m surprised by its performance. Based on the reviews I expected it to be good, but not this good. I could see sticking with it for a while (with the caveat that I am generally not one to stick with gear for very long). I was hesitant to buy it because there aren’t a lot of user testimonials out there but I decided to go for it because of the multi-input convenience and ability to so easily dial in such a wide range of carts. Which is indeed great…and yet what has me hooked is the sound. Not since the ypsilon have I had a phono pre that makes me want to sit and spin records all day long, with each successive disc seeming like a revelation. I’m not a reviewer and I haven’t heard everything but I’ve heard enough to know the Lupe is special. Even in this rarified realm of audiophilia it’s crazy to call a phono preamp that retails for $10k a “bargain” so I’ll just say that sonically I think it hunts with the big dogs with the much bigger price tags.

(Rest of my system is the aforementioned Ypsilon Phaethon and Joseph Perspective 2 speakers… so far I’ve run a Benz Ebony L, a Miyajima Premium Be mono, and a Shure V15 ii into the Lupe - I’m on a real vintage kick lately with the old Shure MM’s tracking at less than a gram… ah the good old days)

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
I’m not seeing too much out there on the forums about the Lupe and so as an early(ish) adopter I thought I’d weigh in with my experience for anyone who might be looking at it.

To cut to the chase… I am very impressed. I have owned many phono preamps in my life up and down the price ladder. Prior to the Lupe, my favorite, in a class by itself sonically (and financially) was the Ypsilon VPS-100. Below that in the next tier were the Allnic H3000, the Manley Steelhead, and the ARC Ref 2SE, each of which had its strengths and weaknesses and each of which I could have been happy with forever if I were not insane. I’m guessing you know how it is.

After three weeks of a LOT of listening, I put the Lupe, on sound quality alone, in the Ypsilon class. It brings a level of insight into the music that reminds me of my favorite DAC, the Weiss DAC501, where a seemingly impossible amount of information is conveyed in a way that doesn’t feel editorialized in the slightest and yet is never strident in its truth telling. The Ypsilon did editorialize… but in such a graceful way that I didn’t miss the edges it was rounding off. With the Ypsilon I felt like I was getting all the information in the grooves and yet it was simultaneously pulling a magic trick of rendering that information in the most euphonious and intoxicating way imaginable (it really is something that piece of gear… I still use the Ypsilon integrated and quite possibly will until the end).

View attachment 126261

But even with the unreliability of sonic memory (and I owned the Ypsilon phono stage not that long ago) I feel confident in saying that the Lupe is in a different category of information retrieval. I’m having that glorious audiophile experience with the Lupe of putting on cherished records and feeling like I’m hearing them fresh. Michael Trei alludes to this experience in his Stereophile review of the Lupe, and he also brings up the CH Precision as a comparison point. The Ypsilon and CH Precision have been the yin and yang of big dollar phonos for a while now - more forgiving tube unit versus more analytical solid state. I know how the Lupe compares to the Yip so I’d curious to hear how it compares to the CH P at less than a third of the price. I’ve never heard the CH P, and generally I have gravitated towards tubed phono stages, mostly because I felt like they were better at rendering deep holographic soundstages. The Lupe is no slouch in that department (especially when it comes to precise imaging in the soundstage) but the deep holographic thing… no doubt the Ypsilon had the edge there.

Another area where the Ypsilon had an edge is in the overall size of the presentation. The Yip really did “big.” Though I’m not entirely sure about that comparison because for most of the time I had the Yip phono I was running stereo subs with TAD monitors and in my smallish room those subs really did “big” too. I now have Joseph Perspectives, no subs, and though I much prefer the bass of the Joes, they don’t artificially pump up the scale of things the way those subs did in here.

The Lupe yields nothing to the Ypsilon when it comes to tonal saturation which is really saying something. And it has hands down the best low end of any phono pre I’ve ever had. Maybe that is due to my lack of experience with top flight solid state units? (I had a Pass xp17 and an esoteric e-03, neither did much for me and I sold them quickly). The low end the Lupe digs out of my records wows me every day - taut, articulate, feel it in your chest slam, and LOW… all the good stuff. Just now I was listening to Nick Drake Five Leaves Left (from the Fruit Tree box) and noticing these Mingus like flourishes Danny Thompson was doing on the upright in Saturday Sun. Had me thinking of Money Jungle. I’ve listened to that Nick D record a bazillion times and never taken note of that. Rostropovich in the Beethoven sonatas with Richter, Starker in the famous Mercury Bach sonatas (both Speakers Corner sets)… these are records I’ve listened to over and over and with the Lupe I feel like I’m getting nuances of the performances and the sound of the respective cellos that are making them feel new to me. Earlier today I put on Chic’s first album and Bernie Edwards slappy bass had me on the edge of my seat. The pop, the resonant tone and sheer presence of the instrument in my room - it was jumping out of the speakers and whapping me around in my chair. That gets to the realm where the Lupe whips the Ypsilon in my memory (and every other phono pre I’ve had) - “dynamics.” Music just seems leap out and grab me by the tail feathers with this thing.

I haven’t even mentioned the convenience and the configurability which is the Lupe’s main sales pitch. I generally run three tonearms. Nothing I’ve owned has made that easier than the Lupe. With the one-input MM-only Ypsilon (and the Leben I was using just prior to the Lupe) it was a nightmare with the various SUT’s and cables. Four inputs on the Lupe (one balanced, each with ITS OWN GROUND LUG!!!!!) each input effortlessly configurable via the app for gain and impedance and capacitance and mono/stereo and yes EQ curves if that’s your thing. It’s not my thing but then with the way it works on the Lupe they are basically tone controls that you can customize if you want. I definitely have availed myself of that feature… rolled off some piercing records… added a little low end to thin ones. And it saves those settings such that all you have to do is select the given input and voila, all the various parameters stay in place. Amazing.

I have only one beef so far - the lowest resistance for an MC cart is 60ohm. Baffling why 30 isn’t an option.

That’s it for my gripes other than that I bought it second hand and the seller listed it as 10 out of 10 mint and when I got it I found a few obvious marks on the top and side panel near the front. The guy was a real dick about it when I pointed that out. But hey… that is hardly the Lupe’s fault.

It runs warm to the touch, nowhere near hot. Half box unit which I like. I’m not in love with the aesthetics but I’m fine with it. Comes in its own pelican case, nice touch.

All in all I’m surprised by its performance. Based on the reviews I expected it to be good, but not this good. I could see sticking with it for a while (with the caveat that I am generally not one to stick with gear for very long). I was hesitant to buy it because there aren’t a lot of user testimonials out there but I decided to go for it because of the multi-input convenience and ability to so easily dial in such a wide range of carts. Which is indeed great…and yet what has me hooked is the sound. Not since the ypsilon have I had a phono pre that makes me want to sit and spin records all day long, with each successive disc seeming like a revelation. I’m not a reviewer and I haven’t heard everything but I’ve heard enough to know the Lupe is special. Even in this rarified realm of audiophilia it’s crazy to call a phono preamp that retails for $10k a “bargain” so I’ll just say that sonically I think it hunts with the big dogs with the much bigger price tags.

(Rest of my system is the aforementioned Ypsilon Phaethon and Joseph Perspective 2 speakers… so far I’ve run a Benz Ebony L, a Miyajima Premium Be mono, and a Shure V15 ii into the Lupe - I’m on a real vintage kick lately with the old Shure MM’s tracking at less than a gram… ah the good old days)
Hi DaveLarz,

Thanks for your feedback.

Very interesting.

I also currently own a Ypsilon PHAETON with a Mola Mola TAMBAQUI DAC.

I'm totally convinced by Mola Mola's work. That's why I wanted to replace my AURORA SOUND VIDA phono amplifier with the MOLA MOLA LUPE.

So thank you for this feedback which once again confirms my choice for my next purchase.

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
Great to hear from another Phaethon user. My experience with the Lupe has made me very curious about the Tambaqui - I may explore that during my next digital fever dream where I resolve to forget that no matter how good a DAC is I always end up ignoring it to listen to records and then deciding to sell it because it is sitting there unused...

BTW I'm finding that the Lupe benefits a lot from being left on all the time. Sounds a lot richer and fuller. Not uncommon with gear that runs warm in my experience although varies a lot from piece to piece. But I really notice an improvement with the Lupe.

Reactions: Mentanalyste

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been having a heck of a time deciding on which new phono amp to buy. Everything about the Mola Mola that I've read says it's the one. I hear there is a long wait time, as there is a huge backorder.

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Nice write up. I’m content with my current phono but if I could get a used Ypsilon I’d do it anyway. Seems almost mythical.

Reactions: rpw

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
I've been having a heck of a time deciding on which new phono amp to buy. Everything about the Mola Mola that I've read says it's the one. I hear there is a long wait time, as there is a huge backorder.
Reach out to Bill Parish at GTT Audio. He is the distributor and a dealer and will have the best knowledge on availability.

davelarz

Jun 6, 2022
Westchester NY
Nice write up. I’m content with my current phono but if I could get a used Ypsilon I’d do it anyway. Seems almost mythical.
The Ypsilon is amazing but best I think if you run one cart and want to commit to that with a SUT that perfectly complements it. The thing I didn’t like with the Yip was that I was aware that I was listening to a SUT and an extra cable as well (also hugely annoying to me was that the Yip power switch is on the back - in my rack that was a big issue for me). Obviously Ypsilon makes their own pricey SUT’s - I did not have one of those. And I wanted to run multiple carts. Hassle.

And the more time I spend with the Lupe the more that I think it is the equal if not superior sounding preamp, at least so far as I have used each unit. When I was first using the Lupe I might have said "well if you have a system that leans towards the bright and analytical side already the Lupe may not be for you." I no longer feel that way now that I leave it on all the time. To my ears the Lupe's sonic picture noticeably gains in smoothness and heft as it stays on - reaching full potential after about two days. After which I haven't heard any of that quality of hardness in the high end that I would hear on admittedly bright recordings when it had only been on a few hours.

Reactions: Jackl3y

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
Hi @davelarz ,

The Mola Mola LUPE has been ordered.

It will join its neighbor the Mola Mola TAMBAQUI and the Ypsilon PHAETON amplifier. Can't wait to get playing!

I'm going to complete my system with the XACT S1 NEO, coming soon.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
I own the fully outrigged Mola Mola Makua preamp with built-in phono stage & DAC and the Mola Mola Kaluga monoblocks. I have nothing but praise for how well engineered these components are. In the past 30+ years, I have owned a lot of very pricey solid state and tube products and these are unrivaled in both their ease of use, brilliant user interface and sonic quality.

I think the Lupe phono stage is basically the same add on card you get with the Makua, as is the Tsmbaqui DAC. Their designer Brian in fact claims the Makua is better sounding as it omits the digital volume control in the Tambaqui in favor of the class A analog section in the Makua. I have run the Makua with four turntables, several digital front ends, Roon endpoint etc. simultaneously. This thing is unrivaled in its flexibility. While the phono stage is not as tubey sounding as my ARC Ref 3SE, which by itself costs more than the Makua, the latter is infinitely more flexible. I run a Miyajima Zero Infinity mono cartridge, Shure moving magnet, a Koetsu stereo cartridge etc. all simultaneously and can vary parameters from my iPhone and tweak to my hearts content.

These are the best solid state components I have owned in 35+ years. The most well designed. The iPhone interface leaves all other high end products in the dust. Utterly reliable. In one and a half year of constant use, it has not once done anything but work reliably, a first for me in a high end audio world filled with shoddy products.

Highly recommended!

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Hi DaveLarz,

Thanks for your feedback.

Very interesting.

I also currently own a Ypsilon PHAETON with a Mola Mola TAMBAQUI DAC.

I'm totally convinced by Mola Mola's work. That's why I wanted to replace my AURORA SOUND VIDA phono amplifier with the MOLA MOLA LUPE.

So thank you for this feedback which once again confirms my choice for my next purchase.
Also been running the Aurorasound Vida and have ordered a Lupe, cheers to our similar journey!

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
Hi @arthurs and @davelarz

I'll get back to you. The product will be delivered in April.

However, I have a heavy workload with my job. So my feedback will certainly be a bit late.

all the best

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
On the topic of the Lupe, or any of the Mola Mola electronics for that matter, has anyone experience partnering with loudspeakers from Vivid Audio, TAD, or other “engineering-first” designs?

Mentanalyste

Jun 12, 2020
On the topic of the Lupe, or any of the Mola Mola electronics for that matter, has anyone experience partnering with loudspeakers from Vivid Audio, TAD, or other “engineering-first” designs?
Hi @Young Skywalker,

My purchase of the Mola Mola TAMBAQUI was motivated by friends who own Vivid. They're all unanimous about the TAMBAQUI's pairing with Vivid. Their amplifiers are Ypsilon.

Best,

Reactions: Young Skywalker

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk

View attachment 126261

Very interesting and also reassuring to see confirmation of my own findings. I downsized a few years ago due to a house move and settled on the Mola Makua pre with the built in Dac (Tambaqui) and phono (Lupe) as a compact alternative to my Ypsilon VPS100 phono and Ypsilon PTS pre amp and Lampizator GG.

I was able to run the Mola Mola and Ypsilon duo side by side for a couple of weeks. I expected the Makua phono to be inferior to the VPS but it was not. The Mola matched the Ypsilon and seemed to have more energy, plus, the Lupe module is further enchanced with it's extensive range of adjustment options. It matched the VPS in all areas imaging, depth, scale, the holographic effect you mentioned and probably better dynamics. I was using a Kuzma XL dc, 4pt and Lyra Atlas at the time, so approaching sota quality source.
Needless to say I was surprised and very pleased to find such an excellent alternative.

The Makua with the additional phono unit could be considered a bargin(approx 1500gbp at the time of purchase) in terms of quality phonostages. I have had BAT, ARC and Dartzeel phonos, the Ypsilon and Mola are the best ones I have used.

The purchase of a the phono stage was a bit of an after thought as my digital replay was as good as vinyl. This was part of the reason for reducing the "box count" and parting with the big Kuzma. Only the best fully analogue recordings (usually audiophile remasters) could challenge digital playback from local files.
I decided to keep a vinyl reply option with the purchase of a Technics 1200G. Playing this TT through a Llundhal silver sut to the Makua leaves nothing behind compared to the Kuzma.

JRW1971

Dec 21, 2021

View attachment 126261

Great post! Some serious parallels with my history. I have the Perspectives as well. In my bigger rig I use the Ypsilon phono. I recently owned the Phaeton. I loved my Tambaqui. And I do get more ”big” from my Ypsilon + Wilsons + stereo subs. Much more “big.” But now I’m awfully curious about the Lupe for the Joes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing