Field-Coil Speaker Review: the Wolf von Langa SON

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Nice review Tim!

When I look at these speakers, it is hard to imagine how the large woofer can mate to the small fragile tweeter.

My speakers (3 way) have FC Bass and Mids, and AlNiCo Tweeters. The variability of the Q via the powers supplies is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because of the ability to get a superior result and curse because of the added complexity.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Nice review Tim!

When I look at these speakers, it is hard to imagine how the large woofer can mate to the small fragile tweeter.

My speakers (3 way) have FC Bass and Mids, and AlNiCo Tweeters. The variability of the Q via the powers supplies is both a blessing and a curse. Blessing because of the ability to get a superior result and curse because of the added complexity.

Thanks!

The SON is a different design. The field-coil driver covers a lot of the frequency range. Both speakers are very responsive.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
What an excellent review!

I had the pleasure of hearing these speakers at the Munich High End Show paired with Air Tight electronics and Primary Control turntable/tonearm setup. Looking at the room you would never of thought it could sound good but it did. Extremely good in fact! It was in the top three rooms that I enjoyed the most, I went back twice. My complements to the synergy of these components and a great selection of music (analog)!

F6EF3086-C613-4EB0-AB10-2FB61B3BE84A.jpeg

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I very much agree. This was one of my top three rooms in München the last three years.

What an excellent review!

I had the pleasure of hearing these speakers at the Munich High End Show paired with Air Tight electronics and Primary Control turntable/tonearm setup. Looking at the room you would never of thought it could sound good but it did. Extremely good in fact! It was in the top three rooms that I enjoyed the most, I went back twice. My complements to the synergy of these components and a great selection of music (analog)!

View attachment 105654

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Colin King of Gestalt Audio has the WVL Sons at this year's Capital Audio Festival with vinyl and some wonderful SE amplifiers. A top reviewer from TAS and I sat in the room dumbstruck at what we were hearing. Musicality and emotional engagement that bested all of the big-boy-toy systems at the show. I have years of experience with Mundorf AMT mid/tweeter and the integration with the FC woofer was absolutely spot on. Probably not a rock and roll speaker but for everything else ...........

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Update:
Colin of Gestalt Audio showed up with the WVL Sons at our local audio show in Southern California this past June. Colin used New Audio Frontier 845 amplifiers to power them. Once again I was smitten so I purchased the Sons on the spot. To power the Sons I am using Trafomatic's parallel single-ended 300B integrated amplifier, aka the "Rhapsody" (20 watts/channel) alongside our Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC and Ars Machinae M1 turntable.

In full disclosure as of July, 1 Hear This is the exclusive retail partner for Wolf Von Langa in California and also the new US importer for Trafomatic.

PXL_20230805_165507933~2.jpg

Last edited:

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Update:
Colin of Gestalt Audio showed up with the WVL Sons at our local audio show in Southern California this past June. Colin used New Audio Frontier 845 amplifiers to power them. Once again I was smitten so I purchased the Sons on the spot. To power the Sons I am using Trafomatic's parallel single-ended 300B integrated amplifier, aka the "Rhapsody" (20 watts/channel) alongside our Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC and Ars Machinae M1 turntable.

In full disclosure, as of July 1 Hear This is the exclusive retail partner for Wolf Von Langa in California and also the new US importer for Trafomatic.

View attachment 114322
Killer system.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
These are great speakers and should be getting more attention than they do here in the USA. Think of these as a competitor to the popular O96's. My friend demo'd both and preferred the WVL by a large margin (and bought the SON).

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
A picture's worth a thousand ...
When I saw Gary's photo, I had no idea the speakers were/available in a black finish.
Who makes black speakers anymore? <GRIN>

The Ebony & White below (don't ask me how WVL happened upon those descriptives) turn out be the HiFi world's answer to a Rorschach test. Having shared this phtograph with numerours audiophiles, each and everyone has seen some unique "hidden" image in the finish. I won't divulge who saw what, but sweet Jesus, some audiophiles should not be let out of their respective listening rooms without some form of superivison. <GRIN>

1691379293152.png

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
When I saw Gary's photo, I had no idea the speakers were/available in a black finish.

The Ebony & White below (don't ask me how WVL happened upon those descriptives) turn out be the HiFi world's answer to a Rorschach test. Having shared this phtograph with numerours audiophiles, each and everyone has seen some unique "hidden" image in the finish. I won't divulge who saw what, but sweet Jesus, some audiophiles should not be let out of their respective listening rooms without some form of superivison. <GRIN>

View attachment 114405
Damn David those are stunning, yet not for the faint of heart:)

Reactions: Audio Addict

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois

View attachment 114405
I am going down in early September to visit Colin at Gestalt Audio to audition these.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Excellent review and very interesting speakers

Reactions: gestalt and tima

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
Images from our show at the CA Audio Show

Wolf Avon Langa London Loudspeakers, SW1X Electronics and PranaWire Cables and Conditioning - a match made in heaven!

Sunday is the last day. You do not want to miss this. Room 1211

Reactions: Audio Addict
Nov 25, 2023
New Hampshire
IMG_3167.jpeg I will chime in as a fellow WVL son owner. I purchased these in January of this year, coming from Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary speakers previously which should give you an idea of my sound preferences. In my experience, the WVL speakers are much easier to live with and check a lot of boxes. They are sensitive, easy to position, and have meaningful bass while still being neutral. They have extremely high WAF, which I attribute to the low profile, and the mounting of the tweeter inside of the clear panel. To me, this is a design feature, since the tweeter functions as a dipole which gives the speaker a very open sounding presentation, not to mention the looks. The integration between the tweeter and the field coil woofer is seamless. For my tastes, the son pairs well with tubes, and in my system, the sound is organic and very emotionally engaging.

I sit in the Nearfield, which works well, but the speakers also do an excellent job of filling the entire room with sound, when used for the purposes of background music. There is no beaming, and as such the sweet spot is not overly narrow. The two trade-offs with the speaker for me are a soundstage that in my system does not extend far past the width of the speakers, and a smaller sense of scale due to its compact stature. I imagine that the latter is addressed by going up the line to the frame series speakers with multiple woofers none of which I have heard in person.

All in all, these are highly recommended, and I am happy to answer any questions for anyone considering them in their system.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Wonderful report on the Sons. Today, Colin and another colleague of mine are experimenting with raising the Sons height by a few inches to see what the effects are, especially for taller users where their lower height may affect image height and scale. I notice your terraza style floors but presume you have a rug between you and the speakers. For me, once hearing the Sons going back to box speakers (even ones like Harbeth) is hard to do.

Enjoy!

Joe Cohen

Industry Expert
Jun 10, 2012
If my experience with the London is anything to go by then finding the exact right positioning should make the speakers disappear entirely. I have only heard good things about the Son.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing