First Apple computer could fetch $500,000 or more

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Verena Dobnik, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's the kind of electronic junk that piles up in basements and garages — an old computer motherboard with wires sticking out.
But because it was designed and sold by two college dropouts named Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak, it could be worth more than half a million dollars.
An Apple 1 from 1976, one of the first Apple computers ever built and forerunner of today's MacBooks, IPads and IPhones, goes on the auction block at Christie's next week. The bidding starts at $300,000, with a pre-sale estimated value of up to $500,000.
"This is a piece of history that made a difference in the world, it's where the computer revolution started," said Ted Perry, a retired school psychologist who owns the old Apple and has kept it stashed away in a cardboard box at his home outside Sacramento, Calif.
The 11-by-14 green piece of plastic covered with a grid of memory chips above a labyrinth of wires was one of the first 25 such computer elements, and sold for $666.66.
About 200 were made but most have disappeared or been discarded. Various estimates put the number known to still exist from about 30 to 50. They came with eight kilobytes of memory — a million times less than the average computer today.
Vintage Apple products have become an especially hot item since Jobs' death in October 2011, surrounding the mystique attached to this entrepreneur who joined forces with Wozniak to build computer prototypes in a California garage.
Another Apple 1 was sold last month for a record $671,400 by a German auction house, breaking a previous record of $640,000 set in November. Sotheby's sold one last year for $374,500.
"This is the seed from which the entire orchard grew, and without this, there would be no Apple," said Stephen A. Edwards, professor of computer science at Columbia University. "I've been shocked auction prices got into the six digits. The market has just gone crazy."
The latest auction at Christie's, "First Bytes: Iconic Technology from the Twentieth Century," is being conducted online only from June 24 to July 9. The Apple 1 is to be displayed starting Monday at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, west of San Francisco.
Perry, 70, acquired his Apple 1 in either 1979 or 1980, as a secondhand item he saw advertised.
He paid nothing for it; it was a swap with the owner.
"I traded some other computer equipment I had for the Apple 1," he said.
At the time, he was working as a psychologist in a school in Carmichael, a town near Sacramento. While observing special needs children, he noticed that a teletype machine "made a huge difference" in how a deaf boy using it responded and learned.
As the first computers came on the market, Perry learned to program them. Then he approached Wozniak, who agreed to provide what the psychologist calls Apple's "internal code" so he could create interactive lessons for his students using the new technology.
An expert hired by Christie's recently came to Perry's home to examine the old Apple and try to turn it on. Only the Apple motherboard is original. A keyboard, monitor and a storage device — in this case a portable cassette tape deck — were added later.
"I was a little afraid to run it, but it still works, with the original chips!" he says.

If one had the money, this would sure be a cool thing to have. The biggest regret I have is throwing away my Apple II and other early examples of true "personal computers."

Apple really transformed the personal computer business. I and many others were building these giant computers from components. Almost none had any graphics capability. They were large, noisy and not very compatible with each other even though we all tried to run the same OS ("CP/M"). I was living with my older brother who had taught me everything about how to build these computers. We then went to the local computer store and saw the Apple II. He proceeded to buy that for me and it forever changed my life and career. I was never that happy or interested in the old computers we were building. They just did not do much that was fun. The Apple II changed that. The included graphics meant that it could run games, plot math formulas (which I used to solve my calculus problems :D), and I could easily program in a simple language aptly called "BASIC."

I would stay up until late in the morning writing programs for it. The love led me to getting a part time job at the University running their larger "mini" computers. The little Apple II had taught me enough about computing to run much larger systems. It was there that I met my future wife, who was taking computer class. Got married and decided to take on computer programming instead of following my degree in electrical engineering. My career fast tracked with popularity of smaller systems in 1980s and here I am :).

As Forrest Gump said, "I don't remember being born... but I do remember the first time" I got a piece of electronics that I fell in love with and that was an Apple computer!

I only remember seeing pictures of Apple I then and only saw it operating when I saw the video of the last one being auctioned last year as mentioned in that article. I would think if anyone had the same life changing relationship with that computer, and had made a few dollars to afford the price, it would make sense to scoop it up. The memories and impact on my life is that large that I don't think $600K that is that ridiculous to pay, even though I am not in a position to pay more than 1% of that :).

Apple changed and transformed the world in such a unique and massive way. It gave birth to such companies as Microsoft (who made a living initially writing programs for Apple such as a version of aforementioned BASIC). They didn't invent the personal computer. But they defined what it needed to be.

Oh gosh, what fun I had with that computer..... :)

Come to think of it, I still have my Apple IIcx. It is not an iconic machine though: http://apple-history.com/iicx

IIcx.gif

The reason I saved it is because I did my taxes on it and thought I might need it one day to read them back. 25 years later, I have not yet needed it :).

Great memories amir. I suspect that all Apple's from the "early" days will be worth some good money in the near future. BTW, I'm a little surprised that the Apple 1 that is coming up for sale is ONLY going out the door at +- $600K.
IMHO, it should be more valuable than a Ming Vase which as we all know sells for Multiple Millions. Perhaps in the future it will be. If I had the spare coin, i would definitely be a Buyer for the Apple 1....seems to be a no-brainer to me, LOL.

I wish I had a Lisa. I think that was the next touchpoint. A Xerox star backed by a company that figured out what to do with it. :)

Tim

I wish I had a Lisa. I think that was the next touchpoint. A Xerox star backed by a company that figured out what to do with it. :)

Tim
I drooled after Lisa but if my memory is not failing me, it was some $6,000. To put things in context, you could get a brand new Honda Accord for $4,500!!! We had one at the company and that was closest I came to it.

Tim

I had an Apple II and then bought one of the first 50,000 Macs. Inside the case was inscribed with the names of all of the original employees.

I have that Motberboard framed and sits next to my original slide rule framed!!

I was writing Basic programs and saving them to a casette recorder since I could not afford the $500 5 inch floppy.

When I got my first Mac, Apple did not have a hard drive so I purchased a third party drive: 10 megs for $1850 !!!!!

KeithW not withstanding, I agree with Amir: Apple made a HUGE impact on the world of computing!

I drooled after Lisa but if my memory is not failing me, it was some $6,000. To put things in context, you could get a brand new Honda Accord for $4,500!!! We had one at the company and that was closest I came to it.

Yeah, they were expensive. But I knew a guy who had one in the late 90s. Bought it used for a few hundred bucks. The Lisa was a bridge product, plain and simple. For techtastic early adopters only. My god it was cool.

Tim

I had an Apple II and then bought one of the first 50,000 Macs. Inside the case was inscribed with the names of all of the original employees.

I have that Motberboard framed and sits next to my original slide rule framed!!

I was writing Basic programs and saving them to a casette recorder since I could not afford the $500 5 inch floppy.

When I got my first Mac, Apple did not have a hard drive so I purchased a third party drive: 10 megs for $1850 !!!!!

KeithW not withstanding, I agree with Amir: Apple made a HUGE impact on the world of computing!

I kinda feel for Keith. One of the worst cases of Brandrage I've ever seen. The silence has got to be killing him.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing