Halcro 30/10 opinions please....

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am very close to decide on taking a SS route back, and will have a Halcro 38 amp/10 preamp for audition shortly. I was wondering if anyone here have had experience with this combo, how Halcro as a company looks in the long run and the like...

(For the record, I currently own Jadis class-A amps/preamp with Avalon Ascent speakers).

I'd avoid it, SPECIALLY since you have such a joy of a tube amp. It's basically the polar opposite of what you have. If that's the goal here, then go for it :)

alexandre

I'd avoid it, SPECIALLY since you have such a joy of a tube amp. It's basically the polar opposite of what you have. If that's the goal here, then go for it :)

alexandre

I completely agree. Cold and uninvolving IMO and yes out of busines

Fernando, great advice above, IMHO. Halcro is as Steve says, at least all of the models I have heard. Polar opposite of your great Jadis amp. Perhaps look at Rowland again or IF doable...Dartzeel, if you want to go the ss route again. Not sure about Edge with your gear, but at a lower price point, may be worth looking into.

Fernando, great advice above, IMHO. Halcro is as Steve says, at least all of the models I have heard. Polar opposite of your great Jadis amp. Perhaps look at Rowland again or IF doable...Dartzeel, if you want to go the ss route again. Not sure about Edge with your gear, but at a lower price point, may be worth looking into.

You can also look into Gryphon which Flez knows well...the newer stuff (Colosseum and Mephisto) bring all the treble purity and tonality of new (ie, more open) with all the power, organic and propulsive bass as well as limitless dynamics of old.

Go for it flezz auditioning doesnt cost much and you always learn , i ll probably try a DM 38 next year , i would also try it with the jadis tube pre if i were you , i heard the DM 68 with the ML 32 pre and still regard it as one off the best(clear/transparent ) ive heard .
The bass was stomach turning by far the most explosive ive heard

Thanks guys, point is that I find nothing wrong with my current Jadis setup, drives the Avalons very well and like its envolving and nuanced sound.

This dealer also has an Accuphase DP700 and a Zanden DAC, maybe I should just need to change the target!.

If Halcro is out of business then is a no-go for me, far easier to fix a tubed amo than a SS if neccesary.

Thanks guys, point is that I find nothing wrong with my current Jadis setup, drives the Avalons very well and like its envolving and nuanced sound.

This dealer also has an Accuphase DP700 and a Zanden DAC, maybe I should just need to change the target!.

If Halcro is out of business then is a no-go for me, far easier to fix a tubed amo than a SS if neccesary.

So Fernando, if you find nothing wrong with your current Jadis setup, what is giving you itchy feet to try some SS again?

So Fernando, if you find nothing wrong with your current Jadis setup, what is giving you itchy feet to try some SS again?

Not sure Mark :( I heard them at the dealer showroom with Wilson WP8s and SF Extremas and was not bad, clean, dynamic and detailed sound all over - on the other hand my Jadis amps sound great as well with the Avalons, but curious if additional power will benefit my system.

some good options there! Let me know what you think of the Accuphase and Zanden if you get a chance.

Through my merry-go-round of amps, I had the Classe', ML, AR, Halcro 58 and finally settled on Pass. I couldn't get rid of the Halcro fast enough. It will wow you at first, but listening to it for an extended period of time and going back to tube or a great ss will make you wish you never owned it.

Hello guys,

I read here that Halcro is cold and not involving... and really ask myself the conditions of these listening sessions.
I own a pair of Dm68 and just bought a DM10 to match it (due to the highly appreciated phono stage). The Halcro are many things, but absolutly not cold amps. From my point of view, it's the first amps that provide me the quality of the both worlds, macrodynamic of big amps and microdynamic of finest triode ones.
Sound is defined and sweet together, always balanced, strong and delicate, it's really great amps.
So I didn't try all existing amps and can't say if it's the best amps ever, but I can say that it's not cold and that it's great amps!!!

I use it with JBL K2 S9500 (2 ways with 2 x 14' woofers in appolito) in a 40m2 room (3.5meters high) and never have the feeling that the amps were at there limit, even when it plays loudly.

Just for information and give some references, I lived during many years with an Audio Note system (300B) which is not really something cold and owned several amps as Lamm ML1.1 and Spectral DMA360 (which is a little bit fresh).

I hope it helps.

Best
Ugo

Hello guys,

I read here that Halcro is cold and not involving... and really ask myself the conditions of these listening sessions.
I own a pair of Dm68 and just bought a DM10 to match it (due to the highly appreciated phono stage). The Halcro are many things, but absolutly not cold amps. From my point of view, it's the first amps that provide me the quality of the both worlds, macrodynamic of big amps and microdynamic of finest triode ones.
Sound is defined and sweet together, always balanced, strong and delicate, it's really great amps.
So I didn't try all existing amps and can't say if it's the best amps ever, but I can say that it's not cold and that it's great amps!!!

I use it with JBL K2 S9500 (2 ways with 2 x 14' woofers in appolito) in a 40m2 room (3.5meters high) and never have the feeling that the amps were at there limit, even when it plays loudly.

Just for information and give some references, I lived during many years with an Audio Note system (300B) which is not really something cold and owned several amps as Lamm ML1.1 and Spectral DMA360 (which is a little bit fresh).

I hope it helps.

Best
Ugo

I feel exactly the same. I have the DM88 and DM10 and they are just great. Not cold at all. Where do these criticisms come from? - Must be people who are just passing rumors around. Crazy!

I have read about one guy who pairs his Halcro ref amp with JBL Everest 6600 and loves it...absolutely loves it. I suspect where it might have come from is that pairing extremely exacting SS amps can result in slightly more strident sound if one is not careful. Some will cast that dispersion at Krell, Soulution (sterile, thin, etc)...but as many will attest, whether its the old KSA 50, Krell FPB650 or 700cx, or even newer, or Soulution 710/700s...set up right and the sound can be sublime (a personal decision anyway).

I have read about one guy who pairs his Halcro ref amp with JBL Everest 6600 and loves it...absolutely loves it. I suspect where it might have come from is that pairing extremely exacting SS amps can result in slightly more strident sound if one is not careful. Some will cast that dispersion at Krell, Soulution (sterile, thin, etc)...but as many will attest, whether its the old KSA 50, Krell FPB650 or 700cx, or even newer, or Soulution 710/700s...set up right and the sound can be sublime (a personal decision anyway).

Hello,

I agree. I am always surprise to read some comments based on one or few listening sessions. At this level of components, we know that:
- systems are extremly resolvent (resolving?) and depending of tuning, it can sound good or bad, very easily
- products could be overpriced, but I don't really know products as bad as I can read on forum. Just bad associations.

There are the same comments on Audiogon, probably also on audioasylum and on some others fora. I checked yesterday night comments of stereophile about DM58 and 88 and asked myself if the neutrality of the Halcro has not been interpreted by some readers as cold sounding. When you have an Halcro amp in your system, you understand that this neutrality meens balanced, simply greatly balanced, on every aspects of the sound. Tones, dynamic, soundstage, everything and it's exactly why I appreciate the sound. It's resolving but never harsh, dynamic but subtil, rich and full of colors but without systematic.

With the current prices, it would be silly to remove Halcro from any whishing list.

Ugo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing