Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

The Devialet based system demo I attended two years ago was inherently "digital" to my ears.

Very lean & transparent, dare I say ... "neutral".

From this analog lovers perspective, that demo/experience very much reminded me of playing a well mastered digital LP on a very good turntable; although I'm hearing an "analog" front end ... it did not represent ... "a believable real analog experience" to my ears.

tb1

It is definitely not inherently digital, as I understood the meaning of this expression. Two years ago it may have been very different, then nowadays, I do not know as I did not have it two years ago. The new 5.7 firmware made it even more musical, in stereo, in dual mono and it is really something special in quad mono.

In my experience, mono Devaliet's do not sound as good as the stereo setup. Do you actually own a Devialet powered system or just listening to a demo somewhere. Mono's lose micro detail and nuance. Monos do play louder and many are fooled by this into thinking it's better. This all might have changed with the 5.7 firmware, but with 5.6 it wasn't close.

I own a dual mono setup.
Using our own highres, stereo miked recordings, the dual mono has more life, more air and more honesty - it is definitely closer to the real life music event. The quad mono is even more of this. I am not really into microdetail and nuances to be honest as this is not relevant in live music (at least as I think about honest music reproduction), I am more about lifesize musicians and instruments and lifesize dynamism.

Me too
What speakers?

Naim Ovator S600, but has quite expensive experience with Focal Diablo Utopia as well. I have heard the quad mono quite a few times with a Grande Utopia, it is really amazing combination.

I'm using Wilson Sasha
A bit of a difference between Naim and Wilson.....

I stand by my thoughts on single vs. mono Devaliet

I'm using Wilson Sasha
A bit of a difference between Naim and Wilson.....

I stand by my thoughts on single vs. mono Devaliet

Do not make mistake, I do not want to convince you or anybody else here. I shared my experience FWIW, you do not have to agree.

I am probably one of the very few Devialet owner who has the luxury to use (high-res) recordings for evaluation which were partly made by myself or I was on site when the recording was made. So I exactly know how the sound was there and what to expect at home.

By the way it was my experience not only with the Naim speaker but with the Diablo Utopia and with the Grande Utopia as well.

5.7.1/1.5 is definitely a big wow as far as my set up is concerned when using Air.

Memory can be deceiving, but the realism of the instruments has seemingly gone another notch up with this upgrade. I think I hear more texture, more realism and overall more pleasure listening. Can it really get any better than this?

I'll never stop to be amazed at the amount of progress that Devialet has been able to make over 2 years without asking owners to pay any cent extra.

Cheers,
Bernard

I bought the Devaliet partly because of the upgrade path updates included as part of the purchase price.

They are not free.....

I bought the Devaliet partly because of the upgrade path updates included as part of the purchase price.

They are not free.....

Well, that's one way to look at it. On the other hand, the commitement of Devialet with upgrades was not about sound quality, it was about missing features.

I feel that most of us were already very happy with the way the D^Premier sounded when we purchased it and we had no expectation in terms of sound quality improvement, did we?

So in the end my view is that they went much farther than initially planned.

Cheers,
Bernard

Test coming out in the january 2013 edition of Stereophile, looks like it might be another positive one :D

"Gracing the front cover of the January 2013 Stereophile Magazine is “Devialet’s enlightened D-Premier.” Announced by Stereophile: “THE AMPLIFIER REVOLUTION STARTS HERE”. Yes, the D-Premier is unlike anything the high-end industry has seen before.

John Atkinson concludes: “Devialet’s D-Premier amplifier is the most extraordinary product I have reviewed for Stereophile. Superb sound quality, future-proof design, everything you need in one box – it is the epitome of what a high-end product should be. Wow!”

John Atkinson concludes: “Devialet’s D-Premier amplifier is the most extraordinary product I have reviewed for Stereophile. Superb sound quality, future-proof design, everything you need in one box – it is the epitome of what a high-end product should be. Wow!”

Considering that John Atkinson is probably the most influential audio reviewer in the US, if not in the world, this quote is an amazing X-Mas gift for the good folks of Devialet.

Cheers,
Bernard

Does anyone know who wrote the actual test? Fremer possibly??

You mean who did the measurement's tests? ... John Atkinson is the regular man. :b
... Michael Fremer ain't into testing; he's just an audio reviewer with an elaborate vocabulary,
and with a good sense of humor.

Last edited:
No I meant the listening test maybe I should've said who wrote the review. I assume Atkinson did the measurements as usual.

John Atkinson concludes: “Devialet’s D-Premier amplifier is the most extraordinary product I have reviewed for Stereophile.
Superb sound quality, future-proof design, everything you need in one box – it is the epitome of what a high-end product should be. Wow!”

---- There. ...You posted it yourself.

Well yeah but I take it that means maybe just did the measurements and maybe gave it a quick listen as he usually does and not that he did the entire review? but who knows, I guess we will find out soon enough.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing