I need help please, to interpret the new vinyl after wandbuering 20 years in CD exile

ObscureJude

Mar 14, 2013
Hello-

I am registered on Audio-Karma, Vinyl Engine, and JBL Heritage. My B & O turntable burned out with my ex-wife and all of my gear went into a closet.
I'm very loyal to Yamaha and JBL I have a YP-D6 interim table with a decent Shure cartridge. I'm confused about so many vinyl choices today. I'm used to only three basic choices in vinyl; bad American pressings, imports preferably Japanese, and MFSL audiophile pressings.

Today if I go to Soundstage and see a MFSL Lynryd Skynrd (sp) Street Survivors it is a Silver Series and it is a new 180 gram pressing. A Classic Pressing is not classic as a generic, but a new 180 gram pressing by a presser named Classic. I understand domestic pressings, imports by country (some being better than others and Japanese being best) and MFSL ( I have many) being good and MFSL Japanese being very good, and 180 gram being great. My questions are: [/B1]Aren't original 1st pressings on regular vinyl better than re-issues, all things being equal, and 2 since everything good seems to be re-issued on 180-200g vinyl how do you figure out what is the best pressing. Surely, all heavy vinyl isn't equal, and is 200 gram that much better than 180 gram?

Seriously, I feel like Rip Van Winkle. I fell into this forum by following a reference to the MFSL Silver Series, which I thought might be old but it turns out to be new. I'm a newbie that needs serious help. Please be kind. Thanks, OJ

1. No comment re ex-wives, other than to note that a good turntable may require less maintenance and give more joy.
2. Classic Records is out of business, some of their remasters sound marvelous but they had some serious QC problems, particularly with some of the 200g pressings. Chad Kassem a/k/a Acoustic Sounds bought the remaining inventory and there are a number of ebay dealers that sell sealed copies of old stock.
3. There is no consensus on original pressing v remaster, it really depends on the particulars.
4. I don't think there is any magic to 200 grams.
5. We all wake up at some point and wonder where the time went. In my view, Orwell's 1984 seems charming and quaint.
It is a brave new world.
Welcome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing