Is High-end audio worth-it?

I believe it is a fair assessment. By the way, the interview with Andrew Jones was interesting, too.

Thanks for the link.

I think this kind of publications help the industry Win... good or bad ink is positive ink IMO...

That was just a fluff piece that really didn't say much to those who were trying to take a peek inside this wacky hobby.

That was just a fluff piece that really didn't say much to those who were trying to take a peek inside this wacky hobby.

Agreed....pretty generic and really cautious!

Still, it's good for public awareness.

I also agree that it is a fair assessment of this hobby. Now I am sure that there will be many here who can't wait to parse every word and phrase.

This is a hobby? I thought it was a sacred calling.

This is a hobby? I thought it was a sacred calling.

It's full of ritual, teeth gnashing, angst, desire, jealousy, denial, and sometimes a modicum of joy when the audio gods are all smiling on your system and its pouring forth beautiful music.

Fernando, I was contemplating the topic question yesterday. Our hobby is definitely on the expensive side, BUT compared to others...car collecting, art collecting and numerous others I could mention...i guess it really isn't that bad. Although we do pay large sums for sometimes very small incremental advances...hopefully at some point all of those small increments will add up to a BIG step.

Considering that most mass market publications, including Forbes' stablemate the WSJ, either pooh-pooh high-end audio or pretend that a $1k - $2k system is where diminishing returns set in, it should be viewed as positive for the hobby and the industry.

Considering that most mass market publications, including Forbes' stablemate the WSJ, either pooh-pooh high-end audio or pretend that a $1k - $2k system is where diminishing returns set in, it should be viewed as positive for the hobby and the industry.

Did I miss some pages? I didn't see much.

Not much there, but what there was positive as opposed to condescending (which is the usual IME)

Not much there, but what there was positive as opposed to condescending (which is the usual IME)

I get that, but it would have been helpful if there was some basic type of tutorial to help explain the high-end a bit so that people who aren't familiar with the possibilities for better music reproduction than they can achieve with a Bose system would maybe see the light a little bit.

You were kind. When I read such absurd nonsenses I feel happy we have WBF for our debates.

Total fluff piece, that the only people that would comment on it are people Into high-end already. The general public doesn't care one Iota.

Are you suggesting that high end audio is wackier than some other hobby?

Depends on how you define wacky I guess. Stamp collecting seems pretty tame by comparison. My wife used to crochet for a hobby and something useful came out of that and I don't remember her belonging to any crochet forums where people argued over what color crochet needles made the best looking afghans.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing