Kenwood L-07D - a second tonearm for a legend

Florian E.

Oct 9, 2023
Germany
For over a year now I have owned a Kenwood L07-D, in my opinion an absolute top turntable from days gone by with a very neutral sound tuning and with a focus on transient reproduction. The "standard" tonearm L-07J, which came with every L-07D turntable, completes this impression.
Nevertheless, I was very tempted all the time to enjoy the sonic attitudes of my 9-10 inch tonearms such as Schick, SME 3009R or Fidelity Research FR-64fx on the Kenwood deck. How good that the L-07D offers the option of installing a second tonearm. Here is a picture of a original Kenwood arm board: Original TB-07 board picture

Btw: @shakti wrote a great small introduction about this turntable and he had the same armband issue: Kenwood L-07D intro

Although there is a supplier of a replica base in Australia, it can only accommodate SME and is not movable like the original Kenwood base. The material also looks like untreated aluminum. Not a particularly good match for an L-07D.

So I start thinking about a possible tonearm base and create the first models on the PC. Thanks to 3D printing, I was able to produce and test these promptly until the possible criteria were met and the above-mentioned tonearms could now be mounted on the Kenwood without any problems. So far to my utmost satisfaction.
Although 3D printing is a fascinating process, I like to have the bases made of anodized aluminium or brass-bronze. In terms of sound, these materials are superior to plastic due to their vibration behavior. I have been able to achieve very good results on my Micro Seiki, especially with brass bases or "gun metal" as a base material.

So I am currently thinking of having a small number of these bases produced.
Therefore the following call, are there any other L-07D owners in the forum?
Are you interested in a base for SME and Fidelity Research FR-64xx in aluminum or brass-bronze? Please let me know!

Regards,

Florian

IMG_7193.jpg IMG_7195.jpg tempImageOgIfK1.jpg tempImageqdhIIv.jpg tempImageuyXBJG.jpg tempImagefs8r0P.jpg

LouLO

May 13, 2021
I have an L07 arm however I've been looking to fabricate a base to mount it on as I don't have the turntable. The original vernier style is amazing. If I could find a mount I'd be thrilled. I'd love to work with you on fabricating something for my project

andrzejwga

Jan 26, 2024
Poland
For over a year now I have owned a Kenwood L07-D, in my opinion an absolute top turntable from days gone by with a very neutral sound tuning and with a focus on transient reproduction. The "standard" tonearm L-07J, which came with every L-07D turntable, completes this impression.
Nevertheless, I was very tempted all the time to enjoy the sonic attitudes of my 9-10 inch tonearms such as Schick, SME 3009R or Fidelity Research FR-64fx on the Kenwood deck. How good that the L-07D offers the option of installing a second tonearm. Here is a picture of a original Kenwood arm board: Original TB-07 board picture

Btw: @shakti wrote a great small introduction about this turntable and he had the same armband issue: Kenwood L-07D intro

Although there is a supplier of a replica base in Australia, it can only accommodate SME and is not movable like the original Kenwood base. The material also looks like untreated aluminum. Not a particularly good match for an L-07D.

So I start thinking about a possible tonearm base and create the first models on the PC. Thanks to 3D printing, I was able to produce and test these promptly until the possible criteria were met and the above-mentioned tonearms could now be mounted on the Kenwood without any problems. So far to my utmost satisfaction.
Although 3D printing is a fascinating process, I like to have the bases made of anodized aluminium or brass-bronze. In terms of sound, these materials are superior to plastic due to their vibration behavior. I have been able to achieve very good results on my Micro Seiki, especially with brass bases or "gun metal" as a base material.

So I am currently thinking of having a small number of these bases produced.
Therefore the following call, are there any other L-07D owners in the forum?
Are you interested in a base for SME and Fidelity Research FR-64xx in aluminum or brass-bronze? Please let me know!

Regards,

Florian

View attachment 119915 View attachment 119917 View attachment 119916 View attachment 119918 View attachment 119919 View attachment 119920
Hello Florian.
I am lucky onwer of this wonderfull machine and thought about second tonearm too.
Would the base suit for both SME (3009, V) and FR64 tonarms? For now I do not own any second tonarm.
I am interested anyway for a such base.
Did not you think about a little more expencive modern tonarms as for example Kuzma 4 point?
I think that this turntable deserves very good tonarm.
with best regards
Andrzej

Florian E.

Oct 9, 2023
Germany
Hello Florian.
I am lucky onwer of this wonderfull machine and thought about second tonearm too.
Would the base suit for both SME (3009, V) and FR64 tonarms? For now I do not own any second tonarm.
I am interested anyway for a such base.
Did not you think about a little more expencive modern tonarms as for example Kuzma 4 point?
I think that this turntable deserves very good tonarm.
with best regards
Andrzej

Hey Andrzej,

thanks for your interest!
At the moment I still collect some orders for the first order.

The mounting base is suitable for SME 3009(R) and also to Fidelity Research FR-64, 64s and 64fx tonearm.
The Series V has nearly the same pivot to spindle as the 3009, should also fit without a problem.

Further tonearms, such as the Kuzma 4 Point could also be realized in near future.

ps: if you are interested, please send me a DM!

regards,

Florian

Tannoyista

Jul 19, 2018
Great Britain
www.tannoyista.com
I'd be interested in one of these if possible. If you can let me know if they're available, I'd be up for one later on this year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing