Lampizator Baltic 4

hero65

Jun 13, 2023
Hello from Germany,
many thanks to the WBF-Members for your great job in share the knowledge and experience in using different tubes with the Baltic.

I own a Baltic 4, which I got from shakti and tried out several recommended tubes in the Last months.

Rectifier:
SE Aqua 274B / Bendix 6106 / Neotron 5UG / 596USAF / CMC Marconi 5Y3GT / RGN 2004 solid getter (sorry, but the good mesh tubes are out of the range) / RGN 1064 Big Mesh (very less expensive)
At the Moment I prefer a TFK1064 Big Mesh (1936)

Signal tubes:
S.E.S. 6SN7 Mouse Ear / Sylvania 6SN7 Bad Boys (thanks at Sablon - I hope, I'm right - for the informations about chris tube) / Sylvania 6F8G / GEC L63 / Raytheon VR67 / National Union VT-76
Right now I hear with the NU VT-76.

Diver tubes:
Different ECC82 (TFK, Marconi) / 12AU7 (Amperex Bugle Boy) / 12VH7 (RCA) / E80CC (Tungsram / La Raditechnique / Philips SQ)
For a while I changed between the TFK ECC 82 and the Philips or La Radoptechnique E80CC.

I've compared the data from the E80CC and the 12BH7 are similar to the 6SN7 or 6J5G.
The heatcurrent is with 0.6A At 6.3V the same.
All other datas are mostly near or between the 12BH7 and the E80CC.

At that point I will give the advice, that I've not got the official o.k. from Lampizator.

Because the 12BH7 and the E80CC are used without and problems, I wanted to try out the 6SN7 or 6J5G as driver tubes.

Unfortunatly the diameter from the Noval to Oktal-Adapter is to great for the hole, so you need a Noval Socket Saver.

At this time the Raytheon VR67 are in the position as driver tubes.

In my system I use beside the Baltic 4 a Roon Rock unit, a modified Linn Streamer and audiophile Switches with a BAT VK53SE tube preamp at active speakers and 2 active-controlled subwoofers.

For me the change from the Noval-tubes to the 6SN7 or the 6J5G unites the advantages of the ECC82 in warmth and corporeal reproduction and the E80CC in dynamic and more three-dimensional rendition.

Here some fotos.

Greetings from germany,
Rolf

Attachments

• 20230827_184057.jpg
    20230827_184057.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230827_184158.jpg
    20230827_184158.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230827_183741.jpg
    20230827_183741.jpg
    574.6 KB · Views: 44

QualioAudio

Industry Expert
Jan 4, 2023
Poland
www.qualioaudio.com
Hello Guys.

I have been the owner of Baltic 4 for over 3 months and did some tube rolling as well. I didn't go to single Tubes like Rolf did, but it looks well tempting ;)

I have my private Youtube Studio where I record some high-quality sound recordings and I recorded 6 different 6SN7 tubes so maybe you will find it helpful.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Hello from Germany,
many thanks to the WBF-Members for your great job in share the knowledge and experience in using different tubes with the Baltic.

I own a Baltic 4, which I got from shakti and tried out several recommended tubes in the Last months.

Rectifier:
SE Aqua 274B / Bendix 6106 / Neotron 5UG / 596USAF / CMC Marconi 5Y3GT / RGN 2004 solid getter (sorry, but the good mesh tubes are out of the range) / RGN 1064 Big Mesh (very less expensive)
At the Moment I prefer a TFK1064 Big Mesh (1936)

Signal tubes:
S.E.S. 6SN7 Mouse Ear / Sylvania 6SN7 Bad Boys (thanks at Sablon - I hope, I'm right - for the informations about chris tube) / Sylvania 6F8G / GEC L63 / Raytheon VR67 / National Union VT-76
Right now I hear with the NU VT-76.

Diver tubes:
Different ECC82 (TFK, Marconi) / 12AU7 (Amperex Bugle Boy) / 12VH7 (RCA) / E80CC (Tungsram / La Raditechnique / Philips SQ)
For a while I changed between the TFK ECC 82 and the Philips or La Radoptechnique E80CC.

I've compared the data from the E80CC and the 12BH7 are similar to the 6SN7 or 6J5G.
The heatcurrent is with 0.6A At 6.3V the same.
All other datas are mostly near or between the 12BH7 and the E80CC.

At that point I will give the advice, that I've not got the official o.k. from Lampizator.

Because the 12BH7 and the E80CC are used without and problems, I wanted to try out the 6SN7 or 6J5G as driver tubes.

Unfortunatly the diameter from the Noval to Oktal-Adapter is to great for the hole, so you need a Noval Socket Saver.

At this time the Raytheon VR67 are in the position as driver tubes.

In my system I use beside the Baltic 4 a Roon Rock unit, a modified Linn Streamer and audiophile Switches with a BAT VK53SE tube preamp at active speakers and 2 active-controlled subwoofers.

For me the change from the Noval-tubes to the 6SN7 or the 6J5G unites the advantages of the ECC82 in warmth and corporeal reproduction and the E80CC in dynamic and more three-dimensional rendition.

Here some fotos.

Greetings from germany,
Rolf
I would be interested in hearing more about your subjective appraisal of the VT-76. In reading about them it seems that their specs are not really an identical match for half of a 6SN7. I think that they have less gain and a greater plate resistance. I have a pair of them that have been gathering dust for about 20 years and might give them a try.

Thanks for the post.

secretriches

Aug 11, 2022
I have 3 pairs remaining of the:

<snip>​

The content of this post was removed for the following reasons -

First post on the WBF with a link to a private sale
Posted in the incorrect spot (try the classifieds)

Richard

Powerman

Feb 15, 2023
I am so sad to say, mine has to go. Life happens. My B4 is in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
The Lampizator Baltic 4 has just been released! It is now in production!

View attachment 102612

From Lampizator:

Baltic 4 DAC - an evolution of a revolutionary DAC

MAIN HIGHLIGHTS
Every unit is SE and Balanced at the same time, no need to configure the unit as balanced

True balanced topology with four channels - one per each phase of stereo sound.

Our newest 2022 engine ELEVEN also with DSD512 on board as standard provides the conversion. Baltic will be the cheapest DAC in our lineup to have the Eleven, as it was primarily designed as a Golden Gate DAC engine successor.

True Copper output capacitors - same as in the Pacific and Golden Gate.

SPECIFICATIONS
PCM 760 kHz, DSD x512, fully balanced from input to output (SPDIF is limited to 192kHz)

Output impedance 300 ohm per phase

Output level: 3 Vpp

Operating systems: USB input is compatible with Windows, Linux and MAC

Tube Compliment: 2 pieces of 12BH7, 2 pieces of 6SN7-BE. (or CV181-T or 6H8C or 6SN7GT)
one rectifier DHD : 5U4G or 274B or 5C3S or 5Y3 or GZ37 or 5R4WGB

Standard front panel is : Powdercoat Structural Matte Black, also available Sahara Silver, Anodized
Black, Anodized Alu Silver

Extra cost: custom-fit flight case, Copper top

Baltic 4 VS Baltic 3 - What's new?
Visually - from the outside, the biggest change is in the volume control / preamp variant. It has a new resistor ladder, resistor-switching microprocessor, software and display from the Pacific DAC.

Especially the OLED display with 10x bigger window looks great and the volume control also sounds great due to our new impedance scheme and matching.

Another big change is in the analog section where big and bold 12BH7 dual triode replaced ECC82 as output driver.

In digital section - not only the whole circuit is replaced by our fabulous Engine Eleven, but also power supply and mains transformer is changed for the benefit of Engine Eleven's pure sound.

Function-wise we got one more input - and that in turn allows us to offer 4 inputs - namely USB,
AES/EBU, S/PDIF and TOSLINK - all one ever needs without need of customer choosing 3 out of
4. Consequently, since we give all inputs already, this selection has been removed from the website DAC configurator.

Smaller internal changes are among others: better grounding, better noise suppression, better
voltage regulation, better operating points of tubes, better volume matching, better muting circuits
and colder devices throughout.

Fred Ainsley
Lampizator North America
(631) 813-8992
LampizatorNA@gmail.com
@Ron Resnick have you had long demo of this one or is it part of your system now?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Can anyone point me to the converter for using the VT76 tubes in the 12AU7 position?

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023

Lampizator Baltic 3/4 DAC - ENGINE ELEVEN vs​

which one is a better buy??
According Lampis chart, the Atlantic 4 is better than the Baltic 4

Attachments

• lampizator quality chart.png
    lampizator quality chart.png
    972.4 KB · Views: 34

Calvinj

Aug 1, 2022
The Lampizator Baltic 4 has just been released! It is now in production!

View attachment 102612

From Lampizator:

Baltic 4 DAC - an evolution of a revolutionary DAC

MAIN HIGHLIGHTS
Every unit is SE and Balanced at the same time, no need to configure the unit as balanced

True balanced topology with four channels - one per each phase of stereo sound.

Our newest 2022 engine ELEVEN also with DSD512 on board as standard provides the conversion. Baltic will be the cheapest DAC in our lineup to have the Eleven, as it was primarily designed as a Golden Gate DAC engine successor.

True Copper output capacitors - same as in the Pacific and Golden Gate.

SPECIFICATIONS
PCM 760 kHz, DSD x512, fully balanced from input to output (SPDIF is limited to 192kHz)

Output impedance 300 ohm per phase

Output level: 3 Vpp

Operating systems: USB input is compatible with Windows, Linux and MAC

Tube Compliment: 2 pieces of 12BH7, 2 pieces of 6SN7-BE. (or CV181-T or 6H8C or 6SN7GT)
one rectifier DHD : 5U4G or 274B or 5C3S or 5Y3 or GZ37 or 5R4WGB

Standard front panel is : Powdercoat Structural Matte Black, also available Sahara Silver, Anodized
Black, Anodized Alu Silver

Extra cost: custom-fit flight case, Copper top

Baltic 4 VS Baltic 3 - What's new?
Visually - from the outside, the biggest change is in the volume control / preamp variant. It has a new resistor ladder, resistor-switching microprocessor, software and display from the Pacific DAC.

Especially the OLED display with 10x bigger window looks great and the volume control also sounds great due to our new impedance scheme and matching.

Another big change is in the analog section where big and bold 12BH7 dual triode replaced ECC82 as output driver.

In digital section - not only the whole circuit is replaced by our fabulous Engine Eleven, but also power supply and mains transformer is changed for the benefit of Engine Eleven's pure sound.

Function-wise we got one more input - and that in turn allows us to offer 4 inputs - namely USB,
AES/EBU, S/PDIF and TOSLINK - all one ever needs without need of customer choosing 3 out of
4. Consequently, since we give all inputs already, this selection has been removed from the website DAC configurator.

Smaller internal changes are among others: better grounding, better noise suppression, better
voltage regulation, better operating points of tubes, better volume matching, better muting circuits
and colder devices throughout.

Fred Ainsley
Lampizator North America
(631) 813-8992
LampizatorNA@gmail.com
Might be time for another Dac shootout!

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
According Lampis chart, the Atlantic 4 is better than the Baltic 4
I believe there was a transcription error on that graph as there is no existing Atlantic 4 at this time.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I use the Baltic 4 in my home system and love it! If you are looking for a hyper detailed DAC this is not your piece but if you want something that makes everything that plays through sound like music this one is for you. As mentioned by other members, tube rolling takes it to another level. The good folks at Lampi NA can help you with that as they did me.
Enjoy!

Brabus

Jun 17, 2023
France
Hi !

i'm using Rockna Wavelight dac with PBN audio gears and Montana Sammy speakers. Rockna sounds very good in this system but i want just more 3d effect with the same dynamics of the Rockna.

Did you guys have made a comparison Wavelight vs Baltic 4 ?

We didn't have any dealer in France, did Lampizator have a return Policy ?

All best
Philippe

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Hi !

i'm using Rockna Wavelight dac with PBN audio gears and Montana Sammy speakers. Rockna sounds very good in this system but i want just more 3d effect with the same dynamics of the Rockna.

All best
Philippe
Then you want the new Posiden DAC, which does the dynamics you want and everything else, too.

Reactions: Brabus

Brabus

Jun 17, 2023
France
Then you want the new Posiden DAC, which does the dynamics you want and everything else, too.
Thanks gleeds ! Poseidon will be very good but it is not in my budget…one day perhaps, if I sold my Guzzi.
I think I will go listening to a Baltic 4 when we will have a French dealer.

Mark from sablon audio sent me a video of his Baltic 3 and clearly, it’s sound very good in his system.

Best regards
Philippe

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The Baltic is wonderful and the highest-value product I have owned. But man, selling that Guzzi must have been tough. It's all in the pursuit of your absolute sound, I guess. Enjoy.!

Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jan 29, 2020
Hi !

All best
Philippe
Hello,
rockna is a very good DAC and it is a hard contender but Baltic4 will have everything that you are missing from Rockna. This is exactly the reason of existence of our company. We have a 7 day test period with refund. You can test safely.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing